does anyone else cry during yoga?

(14 Posts)
jollo Mon 19-Sep-16 14:56:30

I get periodically overwhelmed with emotion, thing it's all the breathing and awareness of body etc. Sometimes I just want to wail and cry. I find it a bit embarrassing in a class and usually try to stifle it. Does anyone else feel like this? Xx

CaoNiMa Mon 19-Sep-16 15:40:15

Yes!! Especially in hip-opening poses like pigeon. I also get irrationally angry during backbending from time to time. I read that it's to do with "storing" emotions in certain parts of the body.

GloopyGhoul Mon 19-Sep-16 15:48:19

I have - but only as a result of getting too fat to do the poses properly...

CoteDAzur Mon 19-Sep-16 16:15:15

Gloopy grin

CoteDAzur Mon 19-Sep-16 16:18:02

OP - Yes, when I am especially sad to start with (like the time when a friend had recently passed away). There is something about turning inwards and concentrating on your breathing that brings forth one's emotions.

Otherwise, no.

ShowMeTheElf Mon 19-Sep-16 16:18:21

I stopped going to church because I found it very calming and kept crying. Maybe watch something sad and let it out before you go to yoga to save embarrassment OP?

NewPotatoes Mon 19-Sep-16 16:23:54

I cried during every single pregnancy yoga class I took. Nothing to do with the yoga, I suspect, or the pregnancy, but the instructor, a very strict unfluffy German, used to walk around during a bit where we lay resting under blankets, and gently pull the blanket over your feet If they weren't covered, and something about that got me thinking every time about how I had to try to be a better mother than my mother was to this baby, and I got very upset.

HairyLittlePoet Mon 19-Sep-16 16:24:15

This happened to me the first time I did yoga at the bit where you lie down at the end quietly. Mortifying. Tears dripping into my ears and the only thing I had handy to stifle the sniffles was a sweaty sock I'd cast aside.

I'm not sure I believe the storing emotions in certain places thing, but I can deal with the idea that endorphins plus floaty music and lavender oil scents and relaxation can break down certain inhibitions.

Anyway, was quite unexpected at the time.

CoteDAzur Mon 19-Sep-16 16:28:47

"thinking every time about how I had to try to be a better mother than my mother was to this baby"

sad

NewPotatoes Mon 19-Sep-16 16:35:15

Sorry, Cote, that probably sounds insanely melodramatic. blush My parents weren't abusive, they were poor and ignorant and clueless about the world, and didn't have any energy left over for being loving. I'm fine with it generally, but something about the gentleness of what felt like being tucked in at the yoga class used to get me in the gut every week. (For somewhat similar reasons I turned out to be a dreadful candidate for natal hypnotherapy! grin)

I'm big on tucking in and hugs as a mother.

End of derail.

GoodLuckTime Mon 19-Sep-16 16:39:20

It is part of it. Accept it for what it is and it will pass. Good teachers know this and will be supportive.

Don't try and repress or avoid it.

I did a lot of my yoga crying when I was a bikram regular, it was so hot and humid no one could tell.

It's a well known phenomenon among Mysore practitioners that certain points in each series often release emotions, including crying.

Yoga mirrors and works on our internal emotional life. It's part of the point and reason for doing it.

tinymeteor Mon 19-Sep-16 16:50:10

Yes, once or twice, usually during the relaxation at the end. It's part of why it's so good for you I think. Kind of an emotional detox.

jollo Mon 19-Sep-16 21:41:34

thanks, glad to know it's not just me! Feel it's probably kind of cathartic albeit embarrassing... would like to just let it flow but not that good at this sort of thing...

LyraMortalia Fri 23-Sep-16 21:17:07

I used to teach yoga it's very very common flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now