England v Germany, where are you ?

(268 Posts)
williewalshsballs Sun 27-Jun-10 14:46:39

Come hold my hand. Hoping for a win within fulltime. Is anyone else here?

BeenBeta Wed 30-Jun-10 14:28:24

I think I would have faced the music on a guranteed salary of £6 million a year for the next 4 years.

RockRose Wed 30-Jun-10 13:47:53

I think I would have not even bothered coming back with the team, just slunk off to italia grin

williewalshsballs Wed 30-Jun-10 13:42:33

wouldn't you beenbeta?

BeenBeta Wed 30-Jun-10 08:21:21

I see the newspapers are reporting this morning that Fabio Capello came back to England with the team and then immediately left the country again.

RunawayWife Tue 29-Jun-10 22:24:47

Right you lot, stop being nasty about the England team......they were tired and had not had nap time. grin

essenceofSES Tue 29-Jun-10 21:32:09

Sorry, just had to share this (stolen from a friend's FB status!):
"Oxo are bringing out a new cube. It's white with a red cross on it and it's called a laughing stock"

Sorry but I thought it was funny!

In terms of the football - I think Sepp Blatter and Fabio Capello should both resign and the England squad need to take a large chunk of the responsibilty themselves. For a bunch of supposedly so talented individuals, they know nothing about team work.

I'd love to see Becks take on an official management role with support from someone like Harry Redknapp or Roy Hodgson. I don't think that will happen though - I don't think Becks wants to go into management.

mayorquimby Mon 28-Jun-10 23:17:32

although in fairness I didn't hear any pundits get that wrong yesterday, and the one commentator who did ask the question corrected himself pretty quickly and pointed out why it was legitimate.
So that only makes one I saw and if we include the BBC sports reporter 2, which isn't too bad.
The amount of incorrect statements I heard after the Mexico off-side goal was disallowed in the opening game correctly in the pub I was in, was astonishing, and this was from people who regularly play the game and watch it.

mayorquimby Mon 28-Jun-10 22:51:58

I'm a qualified referee so I think they could.
You'd be suprised how often professional pundits get the basic laws of the game wrong when discussing things like off-side etc.

erm and a biscuit for you hmc

hmc Mon 28-Jun-10 22:46:26

Yes I am sure the Sports reporter on BBC news could learn a thing from you lot hmm

Rindercella agree re offside, didn't even cross my mind it was offside.

Also agree about Terry, don't understand why he did the press conference. Just after Anelka got sent home for speaking out of turn, he goes on international television and speaks out of turn confused. Can't bloody stand him anyhow.

Don't agree with you about the team not bonding due to them playing against each other, nearly all of the German squad play within Germany and they have a great understanding and team spirit. I think simply the English players are prima donnas, who think they are owed something. They're a team of individuals with no thought of playing for the others. How many of them took wayward shots outside the box when there was a better pass on, a player in much better position. Every single free kick was skewed at the goal not one thought of a set play. They are all selfish and I don't think all the blame should be laid with Capello, I think he should stay too. Everytime the lazy shits players fail, the manager gets blamed.

Rindercella Mon 28-Jun-10 21:14:22

The first German goal wasn't offside as it came from a goal kick.

The England squad never bonded as a team and never really stepped up to the plate in the whole short tournament. Probably a couple of reasons for this: firstly, John Terry's previous shenanigans causing him to be stripped of his captaincy. I think - and his awful 'press conference' a few days ago probably confirms this - he has never quite forgiven Capello that and has subsequently caused problems within the camp. Then, you have a bunch of men who generally play against each other - week in, week out. Most other countries have players who play abroad and outside of their premier division, so when they get together as a nation is a great team bonding experience. Think about it: if you saw the England team disembarking from their coach, several of them would generally be wearing huge headphones, listening to their iPods. Not a great way to gel with your team mates.

But, the most important reason why we failed to get further in the tournament was because we were shite in 2nd half. Donnie, when Fabio said 'we played well', it was in the context of just before our 2nd (good) goal being disallowed, we were playing well. I don't think for a moment that would have changed the final result (score perhaps, but not result) but that context should be mentioned.

Imo Fabio should stay. Who else is there? Harry? I bet the press would love to dish some dirt on him when he gets a bad result. Perhaps the focus should be on a higher level than the manager. What purpose is the FA serving?

Blimey blush who knew I ever had so much to say about football?! grin

Well, I'm hppy to admit I don't know all the rules and can't be arced to get my head round the ooff side rule, but i do trust Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer and that gorgeous Scottish bloke with them, and none of them thought it was off side, so that's good enough for me.

mayorquimby Mon 28-Jun-10 18:33:06

It wasn't off-side no.perfectly legitimate goal.
Anyone who claims it was off-side doesn't know the laws governing football.

Raahh Mon 28-Jun-10 16:40:59

Anyway...now i get the tv back to watch the tennis grin

Raahh Mon 28-Jun-10 16:36:33

I have just read on the DM website (sorry), that Rooney shaving his chest hair is why we lost.grin Tis the Samson effect. rofl.

I don't think our players can play as a team- they are all big cheeses in their individual clubs, and seem to fail to connect. It is like a clash of egos. And once again, all the build up, focussing so much on one player, Rooney, has been misplaced. When will we learn not to do that??

hmc Mon 28-Jun-10 16:16:27

Yes Ernest - it was replayed on the news this morning and identified as off side

Was the 1st German goal offside? linecker et al didn't say anything about that? Still, we played absolutely rubbish and are a complete embarrassment. Rooney needs his are kicking.

And FIFA need a serious re think. Surely they don't even need to introduce loads of new technology, surely the tv cameras and instant playback from a zillion different angles covers it?

Pisses me off that Argentina had a totally obvious-to-the-entire-stadium and world off side goal allowed. Blood argentinians always getting away with dodgy stuff. Is Germany meeting Argentina next? Fingers crossed the Germans stomp all over them and send them home.

RunawayWife Mon 28-Jun-10 15:19:34

Why did the chicken cross the road??
It di not according to FIFA grin

Euro 2012 here wa come

hmc Mon 28-Jun-10 14:39:26

It does annoy me that the first German goal was off side but was incorrectly allowed, and that the 2nd England goal was wrongly deemed not to have crossed the line - and disallowed! True full time score then 3:2 to Germany - and anyway, how that might have been different (given the psychological effect of being on the back foot) if the correct decisions had been given at the time. Accurate decisions would have meant England leading 2:1 at half time - and that would have had an impact on how both teams played in the second half.

And I don't think they were crap, could have been better, but not crap.

So is England team completely out of World cup then???

orienteerer Sun 27-Jun-10 20:06:34

Well I assume there's a vacancy for Fabio as the Italian Manager?

williewalshsballs Sun 27-Jun-10 18:48:52

donnie grin
I think he was just stunned by what just happened.

donnie Sun 27-Jun-10 18:47:47

And immediately after the game in a interview I heard Fabio say "they played well". That from a man who gets several million quid, clearly he is paid to be a twat.

donnie Sun 27-Jun-10 18:46:03

I agree with ctyeen as well. England just seems to have an inherent arrogance which is utterly misplaced; the players are overpaid and completely spoiled. They need to be jolted out of their cushioned world. They are indulged, courted, feted as celebrities and treated like semi-royalty when in reality all they do is play a bit of football FFS. There is no discipline and no sense of team IMO. They deserved to lose. Don't get me wrong - I wanted them to win - but they didn't deserve to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now