Any Kiwis around?

(28 Posts)
MavisEnderby Sun 20-Jun-10 19:40:54

Are you a tad merry yet?

what a match.I was willing NZ on all the way

man of the match for me was the NZ keeper.

well done NZ!

MavisEnderby Sun 20-Jun-10 21:26:40

Is it still too early for the kiwi mn contingent or do you think they are all still celebrating?

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Jun-10 21:27:08

did they beat Italy?

MavisEnderby Sun 20-Jun-10 21:29:26

No but they held them to a 1-1 draw,which is amazing considering Italy are world champs and it is i think nz irst world cup.In the 2nd half they fielded a semi professional substitute and they scored the irst goal!In David versus Goliath terms it was a deinite win for David

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Jun-10 21:30:26

didn't watch it.

Well done then NZ. Thought they were lacklustre in th last match, whichever that was.

Football is not really the popular sport there that rugby is. Or has that changed?

castille Sun 20-Jun-10 21:30:55

My kiwi BIL is ecstatic and planning to stay awake until the Paraguay game, so he saysgrin

castille Sun 20-Jun-10 21:30:55

My kiwi BIL is ecstatic and planning to stay awake until the Paraguay game, so he saysgrin

MavisEnderby Sun 20-Jun-10 21:36:44

lol,nz are my second team,as was born there tho lived in England since a toddler,though given Englands lacklustre perormance am thinking of making them my main team.

lol at Castilles BIL.I fear Paraguay may be a different prospect but you never know

JeMeSouviens Sun 20-Jun-10 21:40:01

2nd World Cup, but the first time they've got actual points. I think the first was in 1982. DH had to wake me to tell me they scored, he was excited, and he's English. Maybe this will raise the profile of football a bit in NZ. Whatever happens after this, they've exceeded expectations.

MavisEnderby Sun 20-Jun-10 21:42:52

I think nothing will ever come close to rugby in NZ,it is akin to religion,but I am sure there will be a few antipodean celebrations going on there atm

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Jun-10 21:48:50

the other game (can't remember who the opponent was) was boring but1:1 against Italy is a fantastic result for NZ. Have to go and watch the goals now.

KiwiKat Sun 20-Jun-10 21:54:42

I'm a kiwi - subtle clue in the name - and am very excited and proud. Go the kiwis!!!!!!!

LadyBee Sun 20-Jun-10 22:02:23

I am too - was excellent to see. I think my DH nearly cried when he was out of the room when NZ scored (he was putting DS down for a nap). It took him nearly 30 secs to clock the score and then let out such a roar grin. Very tense watching it, waiting for Italy to score more than their equaliser. Chuffed that they managed to defend AND that the game was actually interesting to watch, unlike the rubbish seen on Friday. smile

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Jun-10 22:02:45

just watched the highlights, looks like a good game. Brilliant goal for NZ

WhatSheSaid Sun 20-Jun-10 22:04:12

I'm in NZ and it's definitely raising the profile of football here. grin

Absolutely delighted about the result, everyone here would prob have been happy if NZ had managed to score one goal in the entire thing - instead of which we have just held the world champions to a draw. Statistic from the NZ Herald this morning, NZ has 25 professional football players, Italy has 3541.

One of the players today, Ivan Vicelich, plays for local team, Auckland City, I have been to watch them a couple of times and they play in front of about 200 people!

I am 36 weeks pg and was feeling very uncomfortable yesterday, it's all disappeared today in jubilation over the result!

Yes, it's NZ's second ever world cup, got there in 82 but lost all 3 group matches, scored 2 goals against Scotland though.

Think Paraguay could be very tricky though, but NZ have already exceeded all expectations, so anything else is a bonus

grin grin grin

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Jun-10 22:06:24

they looked like they were enjoying the game too. So did the Americans I thought

I always like it when the "little guys" as in the underdogs win.

I like Italy but I think that's great for NZ

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Jun-10 22:10:04

definitely agree that England has been dire to watch

dd even asked, are you sure we're for England in this mum? (We live overseas)

I said personally I'm for Ghana. Would love Ghana to win or indeed South Africa but don't see it.

LadyBee Sun 20-Jun-10 22:13:17

They say that professional footballers need to be able to play under pressure, but it really does seem that those teams that go in with almost no expectations are playing more 'freely' and with more enjoyment and flow than the big teams.

nannynz Sun 20-Jun-10 22:19:52

Proud to be an New Zealander. Not watched much soccer but now living in England it's all that's ever talked about. So, so happy for our guys - we're all supporting them.

Crossing fingers we can play with as much gusto and honesty in the world cup next year.

Downdog Sun 20-Jun-10 22:20:54

I am delirious (sp!) with joy.
The kiwi goalie will be as revered as an All Black after that performance, surely!

I was really nervous with all the yellow cards & thought their inexperience might lead to more silly errors and loss of a man, but they held it together.

Not only did they draw with ITALY, but the Italian goal was a penalty & virtually a gift from the kiwis. In my mind, that's (almost) a WIN grin

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Jun-10 22:22:46

yeah really the Italians didn't get a goal in play at all (!) but via a penalty. Where were the Italians with the NZ goal though? There was no one between him and the goal except the goalie. They were napping or what? They'll be getting hell for that

Who was the NZer who got the goal?

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Jun-10 22:23:58

they're really going overboard with the yellow cards this time round

nannynz Sun 20-Jun-10 22:47:34

Just read all the NZ papers online - seems the ref was unfair and gave much sympathy to the pansy Italians when they got "pushed" over.

Who did get man of the match? Our keeper was excellent as was everyone else on the field.

ZZZenAgain Sun 20-Jun-10 22:48:22

an Italian guy was man of the match

Downdog Sun 20-Jun-10 22:57:07

ZZZ where did you read that? The kiwi captain was ITV's MOM & Winston Reid was DM's. Not checked other papers yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now