Virtual sweepstake England vs Algeria

(262 Posts)
magicOC Fri 18-Jun-10 07:12:29

Ok guys, Catinthehat2 started the last one. Who wants to join another?

I'll start

England 2 Algeria 1 goal scored in 17th minute. My £100 paid smile

Off to work now.

See you all for kick off at 730.

catinthehat2 Sat 19-Jun-10 18:58:34

I shall find that article.....

I've never seen the Telegraph so angry about anything - utterly fab article!!!!

northlondonchoclover Sat 19-Jun-10 16:49:00

Lol..about the bird and the england fan

pagwatch Sat 19-Jun-10 15:25:46

Catinthehat
You could have watched England beat Australia in a truly fab rugby match this morning.
That cheered me up no end.

I got to the sad point last night where they were so clueless that it was almost funny.

And Henry Winter pointed out in the Telegraph this morning that apparently the bird that settled in the Algerian goal ( presumeably because he enjoyed the quite) also changed ends at half time grin

I loved the headline too....

England Fan confronts team in dressing room - 20,000 others show considerable restraint

catinthehat2 Sat 19-Jun-10 14:51:41

I went to sleep at 1/2 time. DH did not have the heart to wake me. He read a book. The end.

Can somebody recommend a decent game in this WC - that's 2 wasted evenings already - would really like to watch a decent match as I only do this every 4 years. PLEase?????

northlondonchoclover Sat 19-Jun-10 14:46:59

btw do you think the players actually understand cappello when he gives them instructions? i can hardly understand him in interviews...

might be worth getting a coach that speaks a language that they can understand

well said wwb. They played rubbishly and need to take responsibility for themselves.

UnquietDad Sat 19-Jun-10 12:06:03

Yes, I believe they are paid and put their fees towards the Footballers' Benevolent Fund, or whatever it's called.

williewalshsballs Sat 19-Jun-10 11:47:46

so what should capello do?

williewalshsballs Sat 19-Jun-10 11:44:56

still disgused at that woeful display. NO. there's nothing fucking wrong with capello. there's nothing wrong with the ball, the pitch, the wags there/not there, the players are talented, they're fit, they've practised, there's nothing wrong with the tactics, nothing wrong with manager player communication

james obrien on sky got it right...11 boys, the age of men, too scared to lose. lacking character. their heads need checking. they need to just get on the pitch and play. ffs

This is why we will never win. thosse 11 boys need to take responsibility for the way they played. we all need to stop assigning blame to all manner of extraneous factors that really are neither here nor there. they've been given everything. nothing more that anyone can do for them except a good sports psychologist.

notagranny - they do get paid for I am sure I read somewhere that they are all donating their world cup fees to charity.

notagrannyyet Sat 19-Jun-10 11:01:31

Do they get paid for playing for England then? You'd have thought they would do for nowt. I'm sure many would......they'd make a better fist of it toosmile.

UnquietDad Sat 19-Jun-10 09:01:36

Indeed - England, nul points!

While North Korea played as if their lives depended on it. Which they probably did.

The thought of summary execution for nil-nil draws might focus the minds of messrs Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Dickhead Cole et al.

That, or the thought of performance-related pay.

puppa Fri 18-Jun-10 23:54:37

at least we r consistent in the world cup, consistently rubbish!!!!

mrsruffallo Fri 18-Jun-10 22:54:01

I man, the interviews with fabio capella are excrutiating.
What's wrong with Harry Redknapp or Roy Hodgeson?

Its turning into the eurovision.

mrsruffallo Fri 18-Jun-10 22:37:15

I don't know,it must be hard having a manager that doesn't speak english

oh dear. just put news on.

northlondonchoclover Fri 18-Jun-10 22:29:23

LOL yeah agree Ingles2 .. hahaha.. score or die..

well the england players getting absolutely 'trashed' by the media.. maybe its better to be actually shot.. wink

such a boring disappointing game !

notagrannyyet Fri 18-Jun-10 22:27:41

Watched it all down at the cricket club.
The lads all went out to play mixed age kwik cricket before half time.

BBQ and company great

Wine fantastic

Game a load of crap

Night all!

Ingles2 Fri 18-Jun-10 22:23:57

you are so right choclover.
The North Koreans wanted it sooo badly, and it showed. They were fantastic imo and I wanted them to win.. Admittedly it might be because they'll be shot when they get home but still

notnowbernard Fri 18-Jun-10 22:18:16

MUCH more doom and gloom reality on BBC

northlondonchoclover Fri 18-Jun-10 22:12:23

Not much fighting spirit in display at all. Compare that to the North Koreans, who get paid a fraction of these guys

notnowbernard Fri 18-Jun-10 22:05:31

Bunch of lightweights wink

notnowbernard Fri 18-Jun-10 22:04:44

Why is Motty not commentating?

I know he's been on the later show but why not at the games?

I love him, he is a national treasure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now