Heartbroken for that poor England player who scored an own goal

(7 Posts)
nigelslaterfan Thu 02-Jul-15 09:25:31

England were the stronger side. So impressed by the team. Japan should feel very lucky to have won that.

StrawberryMojito Thu 02-Jul-15 09:31:02

She must be gutted but her manager and team mates have said some lovely and supportive things about her.

nigelslaterfan Thu 02-Jul-15 09:36:39

Yes I heard that, but poor thing, it's so unlucky when they played so well. I hope she has a good game against Germany.

I hope we can get behind the team in this country and support them more. We've loved following it in this house.

LurcioAgain Thu 02-Jul-15 09:38:42

So sad. Every defender's nightmare ball - coming in over your shoulder, forward will have a clear shot on goal if you don't clear it. Bassett had no choice but to play it, at full stretch on her weaker foot. And she's been such a brilliantly solid player throughout. (Feeling very sleepy this morning!)

I suspect USA will be feeling pleased with the result.

nigelslaterfan Thu 02-Jul-15 09:44:23

I couldn't tell from the replay, would it have gone in any way if she hadn't touched it?

LurcioAgain Thu 02-Jul-15 10:21:42

No, sorry I wasn't clear. The position the players were in meant that the Japanese player would have had a clear shot on goal without any defenders in the way if the ball had come through to her - so an absolute sitter. Of course she might not have scored - but chances were she would have done. Pretty much any centre half in those circumstances would have done what Bassett did - tried to clear it up and over the goal mouth.

nigelslaterfan Thu 02-Jul-15 10:43:43

i wish her so well, poor thing, it's such a massive responsibility to bear when really it is a team sport and they have all done a fabulous job over there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now