Woolly Hugs : We are making a blanket for the very lovely cathpip. Donors and crafters, can anyone help us?

(259 Posts)
KnottyAndPistey Thu 01-May-14 20:58:15

Heartbreaking news we’re afraid, cathpip’s beautiful daughter Pippa passed away on April 10th, after an infection led to septic shock. She was just 3 years old. There are no words, we are just so very sorry. Our thoughts are with all who love and miss her. Only ten days before, the family were celebrating the safe arrival of their second son. Lovely cathpip’s thread is here if you would like to post condolences.There is the most beautiful smiley photo of Pippa posted near the beginning.

We are so pleased the family have accepted our offer of a Woolly Hug. Thank you to our lovely Mouseface who is a great friend of the family in RL for first introducing the idea to cathpip. Together we shall make this Woolly Hug with love in every stitch for them all. We hope it gives them some comfort. So, can you help us? We shall need help from donors and crafters alike. Thank you in advance, we know folk have hearts of gold.

If you are able to join us, please PM me with your offers of help ( RatherBeOnThePiste) so we know where we are. If you would like to donate funds, send wool to a crafter or would like to join in but will need donated wool, I can help you, or if you would just like to join, let us know you are on board. Thank you.

Knotty ( KnottyLocks ) will help with any crafting queries. All crafting abilities genuinely welcome, squares made by beginner or expert are equally welcomed. It really is the love and thought that counts. Please do PM Knotty or post questions on this thread if you need any help.

We asked cath about Pippa, she says she loved pink, princesses, ballet, swimming, dog walking and nursery, and her two favourite films were Disney’s Tangled and The Little Mermaid. Bless her heart.

This may well give you some ideas for squares but please don't feel daunted, we love plain squares and simple textures too. They look as stunning as the more complex squares and play a vital role in the overall effect. We do have initials, if this could be you, do PM. Thank you.

The Yarn we are Using….
* Artesano Superwash Merino DK
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK (discontinued but some still around)
* Debbie Bliss Rialto DK
* Drops Merino Extra Fine DK
* James C. Brett Pure Merino DK (also discontinued, some about))
* Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK
Just from the brands listed please because we know they combine for wash and wear.

The Colours
* Pinks
* Purples
* Lighter greens
* Duck egg blue
* Cream - but please choose one of the following - Debbie Bliss Rialto DK 02 ecru, James C. Brett Pure Merino DK no 7 or Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM4 cream

Help with buying yarn
Our crafters recommend the following online retailers - Woolwarehouse, RKM Wools, Deramores, Wise Badger, Black Sheep Woolsand Cucumberpatch Deramores are good if you are out of the UK as they have flat rate shipping. Wool is also sold on Ebay, and at John Lewis

Our crafting guide can give you help with buying colours, and practical info and if interested there are a lot of linked suggestions for patterns. Squares to be 6 inches, using 4mm hook or needles. Always feel free to post questions on the thread if unsure. When finished please sew in your ends but don’t block your work. Then PM me (RatherBeOnThePiste) for details for posting.

Previous blankets can be seen on the Woolly Hugs website and we are on Facebook and Twitter at MNWoollyHugs/@MNWoollyHugs which are both good ways to keep in touch.

Thinking of beautiful Pippa and all who love and miss her.

Thank you thanks

Pistey and Knotty x

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 07-Jul-14 19:25:08

Woolly treasure ahoy, goodness me, absolutely glorious, huge thanks to all the lovely crafters. What stars. x

thanks Soupy Love, love, love these! On pale blue crocheted squares, one Rapunzel's hair cascading out of the tower , a trademark Soupy Ted, and a Little Mermaid. All so thoughtful and perfect. Thank you [star]

Thinking of cathpip and her family xx

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 01-Jul-14 09:17:09

Morning

Last call for cards and squares please as we are keen now to send the mini hugs and cards to lovely cathpip and her family. Thank you thanks

More beautiful woolly treasure is here, just gorgeous. So much love in every stitch. Perfect.

thanks OpheliaBumps In lavender and purple, lovely Ophelia has knitted the initials of the children. Beautifully done, just perfect. [star]

Thank you so much. Thinking of Pippa and all who love and miss her. thanks

Jacksmania Mon 23-Jun-14 21:34:34

smile smile smile smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 23-Jun-14 17:49:05

Afternoon smile

Beautiful woolly treasure has arrived, just so gorgeous, huge thanks to the fabulous crafters thanks

thanks Jacksmania Be anxious no more smile Beautiful crochet square in duck egg with gorgeous flowers in purples cream and white with super leaves too ' Fabulous [star]

Thank you x

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Jacksmania Mon 23-Jun-14 17:26:06

<waits anxiously>

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 23-Jun-14 10:54:16

Morning smile brew

Posty not here yet and have a red card of doom from Saturday, so if anyone was expecting to hear of arrivals, I shall need to get to the sorting office.

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 18-Jun-14 14:45:53

Afternoon all brew smile

Beautiful woolly treasure has been arriving - all just marvellous, thank you so much awesome crafters smile thanks

thanks snapespeare A beautiful deep pink, textured knit, just lovely [star]

thanks Mhw02 In pinks, three super squares, heart, dancer and super bow [star]

thanks SirBoobAlot Gorgeous striped garter knits, super snuggly and beautiful [star]

thanks Trumpton two beautiful knits in cream, a lovely heart and super textured design, lovely. [star]

thanks RainDancer Beautiful knits - lovely rain has done a set of initials for us, in apple and pink. Perfect [star]

thanks Allalonenow In a fabulous fuchsia, a gorgeous knit with heart design. Beautiful [star]

thanks Primrose123 In a lovely lilac and a gorgeous puple, beautiful designs, gorgeous crochet [star]

Thank you for the cards for the family too, we shall be sending them on with the mini hugs in due course, will look after them until then thanks

Thanks everyone xx

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 16-Jun-14 17:53:23

I just hope this is everyone!

Beautiful squares have been arriving for lovely cath and her family, treasure for sure, thank you so much to all the crafters, it is rather overwhelming how many stars there are.

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

thanks GTBaby In pink, beautiful crocheted squares with heart designs, fabulous [star]

thanks HairyPotter A super snuggly cream knit and a lovely circle to square granny in duck egg, cream and purple. Fabulous [star]

thanks Piggy In a super soft lilac pink, two beautiful crocheted squares, one with super 3D flower. Beautiful [star]

thanks JulesJules You always make me smile with your ‘optional flower’ they are so beautiful and will definitely use!! Gorgeous! [strar]

thanks KateF Three super knits, lovely textures, in cream, purple and a vibrant pink. Awesome! [star]

thanks Ria In pinks, beautiful designs, mermaid and ballerina, 3D flower and gorgeous two tone pink texture <happy sigh> [star]

thanks Woolfey Some of Woolfey’s beautiful trademark embroidery, a beautiful Little Mermaid on cream and a Disney princess castle on pink. Bloomin marvellous! [star]

All fabulous. Heartfelt thanks to everyone xx

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 16-Jun-14 15:38:01

Oh, arse, I've had a right disaaaster

Been writing thanks for all the squares, and have lost the whole post sad

But have been putting the squares away as I went, I just hope now I don't forget to thank someone, I need to go and get them out.

Fingers crossed

<beats computer>

<REALLY HARD>

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 16-Jun-14 14:06:17

Thanks everyone, RainDancer - am coming to you now. xx

thanks

RainDancer Mon 16-Jun-14 11:04:06

Would somebody be able to send me a PM reminding me what address the squares need to be sent to?

OwlCapone Sun 15-Jun-14 19:03:19

Despite the chart and instructions only in Japanese, I managed the mermaid!

Late, obviously. This evening I need to make a plain square to sew it onto.

Trumpton Sun 15-Jun-14 18:44:34

Posting tomorrow . Sorry to be late but love in every stitch. Two cream squares. One lacy flowers ,one embossed heart.

RainDancer Fri 13-Jun-14 22:17:11

Left it to the last minute again. Cue furious knitting action in front of the footie this evening. Just got to sew my ends in so will try for posting tomorrow but might be Monday. Hope that's ok. Last minute, but still knitted with love and tears for cathpip, Pippa and family.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 13-Jun-14 19:38:39

weegie you are lovely, thank you! Yes please.

Having all kinds of interweb issue this eve. Wifi and 3G down, am hooked onto not next door but one after's internet for a mo smile

Hopefully will be back to help properly and write about gorgeous squares arriving then. Sorry everyone. Tis a right pain. sad

Thank you!

thanks

weegiemum Thu 12-Jun-14 19:12:46

I've slowly knitted a few ecru/stone squares (I'm slow for disability reasons and can't keep up).

Can I send them to be involved wherever?

Pistey - Yes the card was meant for Cathpip. Did I not write it on there then? I remember thinking about it but obviously I didn't get as far as actually doing it. Clearly, senility is setting in. blush

If you could send it her way when the time comes that would be lovely. Thank you. flowers

Jacksmania Thu 12-Jun-14 14:33:09

Just posted my square yesterday - been hectic Chez Jack but it was promised to arrive Tuesday the 17th at the latest so should be ok?

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 12-Jun-14 11:36:07

Thanks Jules

Thank you to the sender of this card, safely here. thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 12-Jun-14 11:33:06

Morning brew

Beautiful wooly treasure has been arriving. Honestly, what stars, so beautiful, thank you so much to the awesome crafters thanks

thanks HorseDogsNails In lilac and a beautiful heathery purple, a super circle to square granny, gorgeous [star]

thanks RahRahRasputin In a lovely soft blue and cream, two super snuggly garter knits, one a stripe. Beautiful [star]

thanks Chopchopbusybusy In two lovely pinks, one vivid, the other lilac, gorgeous knits, fabulous textures. [star]

thanks BigBoobiedBertha Beautiful knits - in duck egg, a lovely soft green and pink, beautiful heart design, super flowers and a lovely pattern. Just checking - the card in the pink envelope - is that for cathpip? [star]

thanks ilove Beautiful pink granny squares - absolutely fabulous! [star]

thanks watchingout In cream and a super fuchsia pink, a lovely crocheted flower design. Marvellous [star]

thanks Poltergoose Fabulous - a beautiful crocheted square in pink with nine little squares with colourful centres, beautiful [star]

thanks ScienceRocks Gorgeous knits in purple and pink, lovely snuggly textures [star]

thanks MrsPennyapple In a soft heathery purple and pink, two super knits, gorgeous designs and textures, lovely! [star]

thanks Ninja Beautiful, in a bold pink and apple green, beautiful crochet designs, including mermaid, ballerina, princess coach and 3D flower. Perfect! [star]

We will look after all cards, thank you, and send them on with the mini hugs. Hopefully this will happen in the next few weeks.

Just a gentle reminder that last posting for squares for lovely cathpip and family's Woolly Hug is this Saturday, June 14th

Heartfelt thanks. Thinking of Pippa x

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

JulesJules Wed 11-Jun-14 13:47:59

Have posted, in with Chernobyl squares x

GTbaby Sat 07-Jun-14 14:21:46

Phew. For some reason I thought it was 7th! And I've not made it to the post office. Came to grovel for an extension wink

ChronicChronicles Sat 07-Jun-14 14:05:25

Great, thank you! Sending it now. x

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 07-Jun-14 07:11:24

I'm not surprised you were demoralised! Blimey, you poor thing confused Hope you'll soon be back x

Chronic You have mail from me thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 07-Jun-14 07:08:57

Not too late at all my lovely, thank you so much, just coming to pm you now.

Last posting for squares is Saturday 14th June tis the same as for Chernobyl.

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now