Woolly Hugs. Thinking of Will. A Blanket for minmooch, please can you help us?

(162 Posts)
KnottyAndPistey Tue 18-Mar-14 18:23:03

Desperately sad news we’re afraid. After two and a half years, Minmooch’s beautiful son Will lost his fight with cancer at the age of just 18. Life is too cruel, we are so sorry. Bless min, she said, “I am humbled by his strength and humour that he has shown throughout his short life.” Min?s thread is here if you would like to post condolences? we know many of you have.

We are so pleased that minmooch has accepted our offer of a Woolly Hug, there will be love for them all in every stitch. She says she is very touched. We hope the Woolly Hug may give whatever comfort it can to min and her family.

Once again we are calling on the Blanketeers for help - whether it be donating, knitting or crocheting. Can you help us?

We asked min about Will, and these are her words…..

He loved sailing and walking. He loved his school and the CCF (Combined Cadet Force). He loved loved loved reading, Harry Potter was a favourite, and Terry Pratchet his favourite author. He also loved Electronics and was building a remote controlled chariot at school. He loved his younger brother and our family yellow Labrador Harvey. He loved colour and was known for his wacky taste in ties.

So there are lots of ideas for squares, but please don't feel daunted by these suggestions, we love plain squares and simple textures too. They look as stunning as the more complex squares and play a vital role in the overall effect. We do have initials, if this could be you, do PM. Thank you.

Knotty ( KnottyLocks ) will help with any crafting queries. All crafting abilities genuinely welcome, squares made by beginner or expert are equally welcomed. It really is the love and thought that counts. Please do PM Knotty if you need help.

If you would like to donate wool or funds, I can match you up. If you would like to join in but need donated wool, I can help there too. We know there is a lot of wool in circulation at the moment, please do feel free to use any for this project too, but please PM me with your offers of help ( RatherBeOnThePiste) so we know where we are.

The Yarn we are Using….
* Artesano Superwash Merino DK
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK (discontinued but some still around)
* Debbie Bliss Rialto DK
* Drops Merino Extra Fine DK
* James C. Brett Pure Merino DK (also discontinued, some still to be had)
* Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK
Just from the brands listed please because we know they combine for wash and wear.

Colours, to be bright and bold, no pastels except pale blue please.
* Orange - this one Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK - Pumpkin (373) or this one Debbie Bliss Rialto DK - Tangerine (56)
* Red - only Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM6 ‘Ruby’ please.
* Blues, including royal blue as Will loved his school, pale blue is lovely but no darker than denim blue please.
* Greens - brighter ones please eg apple
* Cream - but please choose one of the following - Debbie Bliss Rialto DK 02 ecru, James C. Brett Pure Merino DK no 7 or Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM4 cream

Do use the crafting guide on the website to help you with lots of practical info such as help with buying colours, recommended online retailers and if interested there are a lot of linked suggestions for patterns. Squares to be 6 inches, using 4mm hook or needles. Always feel free to post questions on the thread if unsure. When finished please sew in your ends but don’t block your work. Then PM me (RatherBeOnThePiste) for details for posting.

Previous blankets can be seen on the Woolly Hugs website and we are on Facebook and Twitter at MNWoollyHugs/@MNWoollyHugs which are both good ways to keep in touch.

thanks

Thank you again and for the love and support shown.
Min

As always heartfelt thanks for your support. Thinking of beautiful Will, his family and friends.

Pistey and Knotty

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 26-Jun-14 18:16:37

Evening smile wine

More beautiful woolly treasure has been arriving today. Huge thanks to Fizzy Her original work has gone AWOL in the post sad but she was determined to repeat and she has. What a star thanks

thanks Fizzy A beautiful wavy granny stripe design in duck egg and teal and a super grassy green solid granny[star]

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 28-May-14 11:08:02

Morning. smile brew

All cards and mini hugs will be on their way to the very lovely minmooch today. Thank you everyone.

Sent with so much love. thanks

Thinking of Will. X

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 27-May-14 15:21:49

Afternoon smile brew

thanks Thank you SO much, beautiful woolly treasure has arrived and it is so very lovely. Huge thanks to the crafters. thanks

thanks Soupy Three fabulous crochet squares, bright and bold! One with a Soupy Ted sporting a striped tie, and two fabulous stripes, in orange, green, blues, purples. Fabulous [star]

Thank you thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 27-May-14 15:19:43

Thanks lovely Twunk xx

Twunk Thu 22-May-14 13:06:29

Ooooo I'm just checking in as have been really busy recently, thankfully not with crappy hospitals but with builders and an unholy mess of a house! Thank you for being so kind about my amateur efforts, I really wanted to contribute to this blanket.

Keep up the good work ladies xxx

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 13-May-14 16:43:15

Glorious woolly wool has arrived! <happy sigh> It is just lovely. Thank you thanks

thanks MinnieBar I cream, pumpkin and royal blue, beautiful crocheted squares, super designs. Fab [star]

Thank you!!

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 13-May-14 09:37:22

Morning smile

Thank you so much, beautiful woolly treasure has arrived for the very lovely min and her family, and it is very gorgeous indeed. Huge thanks to the crafters for all they do, just amazing. thanks

thanks DroitwichMummy Perfect, a Terry Pratchett 'feegle' square, and a beautiful blue and silver wheel square. Absolutely super - [star]

Thank you x

Thinking of Will x

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 08-May-14 17:15:33

Afternoon smile

Such beautiful work has been arriving - treasure indeed. Thanks to the amazing crafters. Awesome thanks

thanks HairyPotter In red, cream, blue and green, a super granny square and a lovely rib type knit in apple green. Gorgeous [star]

Thank you so much. You are a star

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

ilove Thu 08-May-14 11:49:12

Thankyou muchly blush

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 08-May-14 10:53:56

Tis on its way home grin

ilove Tue 06-May-14 22:17:10

No wonder I couldn't find the damn thing lol. No rush lovely xx

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 06-May-14 17:27:13

Arf!! Tis here!!

I'll send it back smile

ilove Tue 06-May-14 16:42:01

A tape measure??? Is THAT where it went!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 06-May-14 15:49:06

Afternoon all smile brew

Apologies if you have been waiting to hear, some parcels got stuck in the Post office over the Bank Holiday, and was only able to retrieve this morning.

Woolly treasure has been arriving and it is so beautiful, honestly folk never fail to amaze.thanks

thanks ilove Fantastic! In a super bright yet light spring green, beautiful granny squares. Super, and a tape measure!! [star]

thanks KatieMeLuna In a gorgeous soft blue, super snuggly textured crochet, just smashing [star]

Fabulous, heartfelt thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 03-May-14 09:44:40

Zing, we love you, no slapping here!

Thanks Jules - arf at fish! Bloody cheek grin

ZingWatermelon Thu 01-May-14 16:32:52

oh someone slap me, I totally forgot to do PayPal...blush

so sorry, will do asap

[woolly brain]

JulesJules Thu 01-May-14 16:27:44

Oh thanks! The orange square is a slip stitch pattern, easier than it looks, it's just K1 Sl1, or k row or P row, with colour changes every 2 or 3 rows. It's from that 200 Knitted Blocks book by Jan Eaton.

The tie I made up. DH said "Is it a fish?" grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 01-May-14 15:59:24

Beautiful woolly treasure arriving, just lovely, thank you to all the fabulous crafters for the work you do. Amazing.

thanks Allalonenow In a lovely bright zingy green, three fabulous knits, gorgeous textures, super snuggly [star]

thanks JulesJules Love it! On a cream square, a zingy multicoloured tie, fabulous! With a fabulous orange square too - pumpkin and tangerine, in a lovely pattern. What is this Jules? Tis gorgeous, love the effect. [star]

thanks Pastaandcheese Fabulous, in pale blue and cream a granny stripe square. Smashing. [star]

thanks Trumpton Absolutely lovely, apple bobbles on a purple knit and a green and purple houndstooth knit. Proper fab. [star]

Thank you so much everyone, these really are marvellous. Thank you. All cards will be looked after safely until we send, which hopefully will be soon. Just need to make sure we have them all.

You are stars

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 01-May-14 15:53:33

Oi! I won't have you saying that about yourself! Shuuuurrrrup! smile

All is well x

thanks

Trazzletoes Wed 30-Apr-14 17:38:09

I'm shit Pistey you know that! Will try to get card to you ASAP!

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 30-Apr-14 07:07:38

Thanks thanks

And beautiful squares have been arriving, heartfelt thanks to the lovely crafters, such starry starriness!

thanks Woolfey On cream, some of Woolfey's beautiful trademark embroidery - the sign of the Deathly Hallows, and his initials in HP stylee. Honestly, just marvellous [star]

thanks MNP Beautiful crochet, including a cloud design, cable heart and corner to corner in red, green and blues, smashing[star]

Thank you so much, everyone, all cards will be looked after and sent in the next week or so with the mini hugs. Just need to make sure we have from everyone who wishes to send.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 29-Apr-14 07:17:23

grin

Kveta Mon 28-Apr-14 16:07:40

blush

I am SUCH a spanner

blush

still, solves the mystery of where the guide went last week, anyway!!

ZingWatermelon Mon 28-Apr-14 15:37:56

lucky it wasn't the Daily Mail!grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 28-Apr-14 14:20:44

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now