Woolly Hugs. A Blanket for DutchOma, crafters and donors we need your help.

(458 Posts)
KnottyAndPistey Tue 14-Jan-14 16:11:57

Very sad news I’m afraid. Our lovely DutchOma’s husband Bob died last week on January 6th, after a long illness. We knew he’d been very poorly, but always had hope. Such a sad loss for her, their children, grandchildren, family and friends. Bless them all. They had been married for nearly 43 years. There has been no separate thread, Oma is being supported by friends on the Christian prayer thread here but please do feel free to use this thread to post condolences. She and her family are in our hearts and thoughts, and we send them love.

Oma has supported and encouraged so many Mumsnetters over the years, including us more than she may realise, and has been such a long term staunch supporter of the blanket making projects on Mumsnet, so we were so pleased when she accepted our offer of a Woolly Hug. We will make it with love for her, as a tribute to her beloved Bob, and a celebration of a joint life filled with love.

So we need crocheters, knitters and donors. Can you help us? Please post on this thread, but also PM me ( RatherBeOnThePiste ) with your offers of help so we know where we are. Thank you.

If you would like to donate wool or funds, I can match you up. If you would like to join in but need donated wool, I can help there too.

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Knotty ( KnottyLocks ) is here to help with any crafting queries. All crafting abilities genuinely welcome, squares made by beginner or expert are equally welcomed. It really is the love and thought that counts. Squares to be 6 inches, using 4mm hook or needles. Please do PM Knotty if you need help.

The Yarn we are Using….
* Artesano Superwash Merino DK
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK (discontinued but some still around)
* Debbie Bliss Rialto DK
* Drops Merino Extra Fine DK
* James Brett Pure Merino DK (also discontinued, some still to be had)
* Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK

Just from the brands listed please because we know they combine for wash and wear.

The colours we are using...
A rich, dark palette of blues, greens, purples, plums.

Suggestions for motifs/designs
* Bob loved Holland so we are thinking tulips to celebrate this, we have a beautiful tulip field design for Team Knit if anyone would like this, please email us on admin@woollyhugs.com (Thanks to PracticallyPerfectNot)
* We have initials, do PM if you are thinking this might be for you.
* Can anyone find a ball of wool and knitting needle design?
* Religious motifs, for example angels would be perfect.

Do use the crafting guide on the website to help you with lots of practical info such as help with buying colours, recommended online retailers and if interested there are a lot of linked suggestions for patterns.

Previous blankets can be seen on the Woolly Hugs website and we are on Facebook and Twitter at MNWoollyHugs/@MNWoollyHugs which are both good ways to keep in touch.

This means so much to Oma, thank you so much for joining with us

thanks

Pistey and Knotty

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 13-Mar-14 08:52:13

<waits for next PM asking for address>

smile

grin

WhoremoaneeGrainger Mon 10-Mar-14 16:20:00

Sorry they were a bit late blush. Have now written your address in my book Pistey......(bet it wont make any difference grin)

KnottyAndPistey Mon 10-Mar-14 15:08:37

More beautiful woolly treasure arriving today, really gorgeous thanks

thanks Whore Two lovely granny squares in forest green and cream. Really super [star]

Thank you thanks

Allalonenow Sat 08-Mar-14 13:52:55

Hugs from me too Oma I didn't know we could send cards when I posted off my knitting, so love and hugs to you, I know how hard it is to be alone. thanks thanks

ZingSweetMango Sat 08-Mar-14 13:03:58

more hugs from me. thanks
baby is sending you special kicks as well!wink

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sat 08-Mar-14 11:38:27

<more hugs>

Dutchoma Sat 08-Mar-14 11:05:37

Just taken possession of three mini hugs and ten cards. Feeling very emotional about it all. Thank you so much

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 08-Mar-14 08:08:38

<hugs Oma>

xx

Dutchoma Sat 08-Mar-14 07:53:16

Thanks Mouse.

And all of you.

Mouseface Fri 07-Mar-14 22:01:48

Oma

It may be some very long weeks since your darling Bob left your 'current' life, but he will live on in the hearts and souls of you and your family - for always.

The mini hugs and crocheted angel are truly lovely smile

The world keeps turning and yet you still need people to 'notice', to see that you are in pain, to see that you're hurting, to feel that you are missing 'something' but actually, you are missing someone

You need people to get it. You're missing a HUGE part of YOU, a part that was with you for an amount of time that can not be replaced.

Keep posting and letting the pain out. Letting your memories out, good, bad, ugly, or otherwise.

Talk, when you want to, talk. To who ever you need to..............

Talk.

And follow your heart on the path to healing. There's no time limit on grief, you can't switch your feelings off - as much as you'd give anything for some nights, some cold and silent nights when you are alone and in so much emotional pain - but you can share them here, with us.

There are lots of hands for you to hold here smile x

Pagwatch Fri 07-Mar-14 20:34:25

Thinking of you Oma.
Life moves on doesn't it. Things start to seem normal to everyone else and yet it's not even close.
Sending you love x x

MNPinto2014 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:04:16

Dear Dutchoma, we are thinking of you and hold you in our prayers.

Woolfey Fri 07-Mar-14 19:00:29

Such gorgeous mini hugs and all made with love for you Oma. Thinking of you thanks

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsKwazii Fri 07-Mar-14 18:55:37

Three months? So sorry, two months. I am a bit confuddled this evening. Apologies Dutchoma x

thanks hugs for you Oma, thinking of you and your family

MrsKwazii Fri 07-Mar-14 18:53:57

Those mini hugs are just gorgeous, Dutchoma I hope they'll help you to know that we're all thinking of you, Bob and your whole family. Three months on, I know it's hard to comprehend how the world has kept on turning while you're missing them so, so much. Sending you lots of love xx

BellaVita Fri 07-Mar-14 18:51:42

Those mini hugs are just lovely.

Thinking about you xxx

rubycon Fri 07-Mar-14 18:48:15

each square is filled with love and a hug. Sending you love, peace and strength x

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Fri 07-Mar-14 18:48:00

Oma, you don't "know" me, but I've seen you on different threads. Thinking of you and your family flowers

Macdog Fri 07-Mar-14 18:47:37

Dutchoma so sorry that you are feeling lonely.
Sending all my love to you at this horrible time xx

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Mar-14 18:47:25

Oh lovely Oma. The HUGEST hugs from me. Thinking of you and Bob such a lot. Sending you so much love.

Xx

Dutchoma Fri 07-Mar-14 18:29:32

Oh darlings...
This comes just at the time when loneliness is striking, thank yo very much.

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Mar-14 18:11:21

Close up of Ninja's beautiful crocheted angel..

thanks to all.

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Mar-14 18:10:28

We are very pleased to say that these Mini Hugs and all the cards that came are right now on their way to the very lovely DutchOma.

Much love to her and her family. We are thinking of her wonderful Bob X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now