Woolly Hugs : A Blanket for SupermansBigRedBottl eOfSpirits. Crafters and donors, please, we need your help.

(367 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 26-Nov-13 11:07:01

I am afraid we bring very sad news. We heard recently that our SupermansBigRedBottleOfSpirits’ third child, beautiful baby Summer has died at nearly twelve weeks of age. Bless them all, such a devastating loss, we are so very sorry. Superman?s thread is here.

She and her family are in our hearts and thoughts, and we send them love. We are so pleased that they have accepted our offer of a Woolly Hug, there will be love for them all in every stitch. We hope it may give whatever comfort it can.

So lovely donors, knitters and crocheters, we will need help to make this happen, and will be so grateful if you can join with us. thanks

All crafting abilities genuinely welcome, squares made by beginner or expert are equally welcomed. It really is the love and thought that counts.

thanks

Superman and her family have been thinking about their blanket and have come up with some lovely ideas for baby Summer. Bless them all.

Ideas for squares or separate embellishments :

Summery flowers - inc chrysanthemums
Butterflies.
Ladybirds
Lions

If you are able to offer initials, please PM.

Just from the brands listed below please because we know they combine for wash and wear.

* Drops Merino Extra Fine DK (new this time)
* Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK (new this time)
* Debbie Bliss Rialto DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK

* Artesano Superwash Merino DK
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK (is being discontinued but some still around)
* James Brett Pure Merino DK (also being discontinued but some still around)

Superman’s family have requested bright and vibrant colours as they say these best reflect their beautiful daughter so....

* Pinks (not pale)
* Warm purples
* Brighter greens
* Creams - if using please use Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM4 ‘cream’ or Debbie Bliss Rialto 02 ‘ecru’

For accents/embellishments on squares, not whole squares pls :
* Red but please only use Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM06 “Ruby”
* Yellow for flower centres only
* Turquoise.

Do use the crafting guide on the website to help you with lots of practical info such as help with buying colours, recommended online retailers and if interested there are a lot of linked suggestions for patterns.

Previous blankets can be seen on the Woolly Hugs website and we are on Facebook and Twitter at MNWoollyHugs which are good ways to keep in touch.

This means so much to the family, thank you so much for joining with us

thanks

Pistey and Knotty

I'm in. I rather fell out of the loop on Wolly Hugs recently(RL getting in the way) though have been following you all on FB and MN and admiring as always.

I still have a dedicated WH stash, think some might be Rowan Cashsoft(?) though, is that no longer on the list? Happy to use it elsewhere if necessary but thought I'd check.

Thinking of Superman and family, her thread was so moving. xxx

Thumbwitch Tue 26-Nov-13 11:47:41

Oh I'm brokenhearted for the poor family - of course I'll donate wool again. Just so sad. sad

PMing you, Pistey. xx

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 26-Nov-13 11:50:58

Huge thanks everyone, PMs are playing up this morning, but do keep sending and keep writing on here, we will make sure that we help everyone.

Tis just going to take a little while.

Thank you to everyone, such a fabulous response thanks

Kveta Tue 26-Nov-13 11:52:11

would love to help - will PM

KnottyLocks Tue 26-Nov-13 11:52:13

Barbara, please use the Rowan Cash you have. We've taken it off our list now as it's discontinued.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 26-Nov-13 11:55:11

I think PMs are back on track, will be helping folk now hopefully!

Would love to help out with this, I do have some of the wool here need to check colours, but donor wool would be appreciated. I will PM you Pistey.

tribpot Tue 26-Nov-13 11:58:14

Oh good, I was the same as Barbara, had to dust my WH stash off from the box under the bed. There's Cashsoft in them thar' hills!

Is grey/blue okay to use as a background colour? I'm thinking about doing this so the background colour would not be very prominent.

KnottyLocks Tue 26-Nov-13 12:06:45

We're not using blues and silvers this time, Trib. Sorry. Have you got an alternative? If not, I can have a look at my stash here.

KnottyLocks Tue 26-Nov-13 12:07:30

The pattern is perfect btw smile

SuperNappy Tue 26-Nov-13 12:24:57

Signing in. Very sad. Thinking of superman.

Can I do some plain squares? I'm good at crochet but I'd like to do at least one with my novice knitting skills too.

I have none of the yarns listed so donor yarn would really be appreciated. I shall pm.

I'm in, will pm you. Thoughts are with the family xx

KnottyLocks Tue 26-Nov-13 12:27:51

SuperNappy, the old WH mantra is 'Simple squares are good; Simple Squares are essential' smile

Thanks.

Opheliabumps Tue 26-Nov-13 12:34:07

I've pm'd you pistey, as always, honoured to knit whatever is needed, initials, flowers etc, just let me know.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 26-Nov-13 12:41:20

I think PMs are working now, will go back over the thread and Facebook in a bit make sure no one is left unanswered.

Huge thanks to everyone thanks

cq Tue 26-Nov-13 12:44:41

I cannot knit or crochet but I have Paypal smile Can I help with the costs of some wool for poor dear Superman?

My DD was born with a congenital heart defect, thankfully detected at birth and dealt with. There but for the grace of god go I....

KnottyLocks Tue 26-Nov-13 12:47:08

Cq, if you PM Pistey, she'll talk you through donating. thanks

Glad your DD is well smile

tribpot Tue 26-Nov-13 12:49:16

Deramores have 20% off Sublime at the mo, ends on Thursday.

GetOnYourDancingShoes Tue 26-Nov-13 12:54:33

Sign me up...it's not letting me pm at the moment.

blizy Tue 26-Nov-13 13:25:54

Count me in, I have sent a PM. I am so sorry for the horrible loss that supermans and family are going through, I have been there and would like to help to bring a small smile to their face again. X

watchingout Tue 26-Nov-13 13:30:40

Count me in, although I don't have any of the required wool in my stash yet I'm happy to buy some. I'll PM you xx

maxmissie Tue 26-Nov-13 13:53:03

Have sent a PM to donate money or buy wool as can't crochet or knit!

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 26-Nov-13 14:05:55

I am so sorry some folk are having problems with PMs, I am getting some, but also know lots aren't getting anywhere, and it is very frustrating especially when everyone is being kind and lovely, and trying to help.

If having problems PMing us, you can email us on admin@woollyhugs.com, or message us on our Facebook page MNWoollyHugs, or post on here and we will come to you. Please don't be put off joining us!

I see Knotty reported it earlier, and I am doing so again, so shall report myself.

Huge thanks to everyone, you really are stars thanks

Have pm'd you. But just thought I'd post it on here too in case you don't get it. I will do a square. Have some purple and pink wool.

I think I missed deadline on last one I promised but will do better this time.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 26-Nov-13 14:19:04

Now you see, I haven't had a PM from you Cider sad

Growls in the direction of Tech.

Thank you so much for your lovely offer, bless you thanks

My PM box is empty so just off to check this thread and our Facebook, don't want to lose anyone sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now