Woolly Hugs : A Blanket for SupermansBigRedBottl eOfSpirits. Crafters and donors, please, we need your help.

(367 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 26-Nov-13 11:07:01

I am afraid we bring very sad news. We heard recently that our SupermansBigRedBottleOfSpirits’ third child, beautiful baby Summer has died at nearly twelve weeks of age. Bless them all, such a devastating loss, we are so very sorry. Superman?s thread is here.

She and her family are in our hearts and thoughts, and we send them love. We are so pleased that they have accepted our offer of a Woolly Hug, there will be love for them all in every stitch. We hope it may give whatever comfort it can.

So lovely donors, knitters and crocheters, we will need help to make this happen, and will be so grateful if you can join with us. thanks

All crafting abilities genuinely welcome, squares made by beginner or expert are equally welcomed. It really is the love and thought that counts.

thanks

Superman and her family have been thinking about their blanket and have come up with some lovely ideas for baby Summer. Bless them all.

Ideas for squares or separate embellishments :

Summery flowers - inc chrysanthemums
Butterflies.
Ladybirds
Lions

If you are able to offer initials, please PM.

Just from the brands listed below please because we know they combine for wash and wear.

* Drops Merino Extra Fine DK (new this time)
* Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK (new this time)
* Debbie Bliss Rialto DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK

* Artesano Superwash Merino DK
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK (is being discontinued but some still around)
* James Brett Pure Merino DK (also being discontinued but some still around)

Superman’s family have requested bright and vibrant colours as they say these best reflect their beautiful daughter so....

* Pinks (not pale)
* Warm purples
* Brighter greens
* Creams - if using please use Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM4 ‘cream’ or Debbie Bliss Rialto 02 ‘ecru’

For accents/embellishments on squares, not whole squares pls :
* Red but please only use Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM06 “Ruby”
* Yellow for flower centres only
* Turquoise.

Do use the crafting guide on the website to help you with lots of practical info such as help with buying colours, recommended online retailers and if interested there are a lot of linked suggestions for patterns.

Previous blankets can be seen on the Woolly Hugs website and we are on Facebook and Twitter at MNWoollyHugs which are good ways to keep in touch.

This means so much to the family, thank you so much for joining with us

thanks

Pistey and Knotty

ZingSweetApple Sat 18-Jan-14 15:33:57

Chipping

that is so sweet. I hope the cuddle enforced square is not too late.
(it can't be!wink )

ChippingInWadesIn Sun 19-Jan-14 14:43:04

Zing - thanks smile Pistey PM'd me to say she would still like the squares so they'll be in the post, extra cuddles and all, tomorrow morning smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 19-Jan-14 17:34:55

O bless her Chipping smile Be even more special!

OwlCapone Wed 22-Jan-14 11:26:41

I have about a billion and one ends to sew in but my 2 squares are done. I'll send them with Oma's smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 22-Jan-14 16:16:40

Thank you so much X

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 22-Jan-14 16:24:01

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Such beautiful woolly treasure has been arriving today, we say love in every stitch, and it is true, you are all stars Thank you thanks

thanks Daisydotandgertie Two beautiful, and super snuggly moss stitch squares, one in a gorgeous deep purpley blue, the other in cream, just lovely [star]

thanks DancesWithWoolsEnPointe Two lovely circle to square crocheted squares, really beautiful, one a deep pinky red with apple and cream, the other with a lovely purple. Fab [star]

thanks Fizzy A super mitred square in purple and light blue, and a very lovely fairisle style heart design, dark pink on light. Gorgeous [star]

Thanks to you all, these are just beautiful.

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 27-Jan-14 15:07:12

Afternoon smile

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Beautiful woolly treasure ahoy, and how very lovely it is. Huge thanks for all your love, care and thought thanks

thanks Soupy Just fantastic! A soupy bear that is actually a lion!! Adorable! Plus a fabulous square with pink flower and a border of 3D ladybirds, and... some separate ladybird embellishments. Completely gorgeous and so perfect. [star]

Thank you

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 03-Feb-14 17:58:30

Woolly treasure has arrived this morning for lovely Superman , and how lovely it is, huge thanks to the crafters for all they do. Just marvellous

thanks BasketsatDawn Three absolutely gorgeous knits, a super daisy edged in pink (this will be fine when attached in the blanket, don't worry) a lovely purple textured knit and a fabulous 3D purple flower on apple green. All so beautiful. Thank you [star]

BasketzatDawn Mon 03-Feb-14 21:42:02

Excellent news indeed. smile

ZingSweetApple Tue 04-Feb-14 05:30:06

That's great news.

any photos of finish blanket?

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 04-Feb-14 07:39:08

There most certainly will be Zing. We have lots of photos of previous blankets here if you'd like to see those in the meantime.

Are you on our Facebook page? We link from there and Twitter once a blanket is finished, also from here. Lots of lovely things to see too. MNWoollyHugs and @MNWoollyHugs.

thanks

ZingSweetApple Tue 04-Feb-14 21:15:56

Pistey

not on Facebook at all, but can access from DH's account.
will look at link later. thanks.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 12-Feb-14 14:56:58

The squares we have chosen as mini hugs are on the way to Superman and her family today with all the cards that arrived from donors and crafters. They are sent with so much love from us all.

Thinking of baby Summer

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 12-Feb-14 15:14:14

More beautiful squares for Superman have arrived today, huge thanks for your love and care.

thanks tribpot Just beautiful. An apple green knit complete with two butterflies, one pink, one purple., and two super snuggly textured pale blue knits. Gorgeous [star]

Thank you

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 16-Feb-14 09:13:49

We have a message from lovely Superman who received her cards and mini hugs on Thursday. Bless her heart, she apologises for not being up to coming in person and for asking us to relay this

"They've arrived and are beautiful! I had a wee cry looking through every thing, everyone has been so kind tell them all thank you from all of us xx"

Huge hugs lovely, thinking of your beautiful girl and you all X

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 27-May-14 15:25:30

Afternoon smile brew

thanks Thank you SO much, beautiful woolly treasure has arrived and it is so very lovely. Huge thanks to the crafters. thanks

thanks Tweetinat Three fabulous crochet squares,just gorgeous in greens and purples, beautiful flowery designs, just lovely. [star]

Thank you thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 15-Jul-14 18:52:03

We are delighted to be able to let you know that the Woolly Hug for Superman and her family is now with them. There is the most beautiful message from her below.

My mum and my lovely older daughter - she's 9 now - opened it in the slowest manner imaginable just drinking it in. Tears flowed as we felt the rush of love and kindness flow from every single segment, my mum left us alone and we spread it out - it's huge! - and discussed the pictures and patterns, the colours and styles, how it embodies Summer perfectly the whole entire beautiful amazing blanket I could kiss each and every one of you who donated, crocheted, knitted etc this amazing piece of artwork for us. Dp isn't ready to look yet, he's broken too badly inside right now with Sums birthday round the corner and ds god love the terror I'm not ready to let his gorgeous wee hands near it as he's always covered in playdough/paint/lollypop stickiness - to be 2 again ?? - I adore it and I know dp will, it is a pure statement of love I'll never forget and does my Sum proud. You are all amazing thank you xx

Bless her, sending so much love and thinking of beautiful baby Summer xx

The website photo album is here...

Summer thanks

Huge thanks to all who donated and crafted, you are stars
Pistey and Knotty xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now