Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(658 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 29-Aug-14 07:45:42

Beautiful blankets have been arriving, thank you so much to the crafters, just awesome.

Billie's Blankets for Myanmar..

thanks MOS
thanks PastaBow

And Little Hugs for Yorkhill..

thanks HoggyTruffle
thanks MOS

You are stars thanks

Last posting for the next collection of Little Hugs will be Wed 1st October
Please message us for posting information. All welcome to join in, for all info, see here....

thanks thanks thanks thanks

Last date for posting whole Billie's Blankets for this phase of the project is Monday 22nd September, but if you'd like to contribute a 12 inch square in stylecraft, please send by Saturday 6th September.

All welcome to join us, details here.... it is looking likely that the phase after Myanmar will be to Ghana later this year. We will keep you updated, and huge thanks as always xx

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 27-Aug-14 10:06:40

Oh thank you, yes, we really did, it was all rather extraordinary, am definitely going to go back! x

Dutchoma Wed 27-Aug-14 09:38:19

Did you have a good time?

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 27-Aug-14 09:10:12

Just catching up smile brew

PastaBow Fri 15-Aug-14 20:28:42

Super. I'll finish my Billie and get started on the LH in the Cashmerino.

KnottyLocks Fri 15-Aug-14 19:22:33

The baby cash is fine for a Little Hug but we're only using Stylecraft or soft acrylic for Billie's blankets.

Alternatively, if you contribute to the Woolly Hugs for Mners, the baby cash can be used for embellishments.

PastaBow Fri 15-Aug-14 08:06:26

Question..... I have a decent quantity of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino left over from when DD was a baby. Is this suitable for a Little Hug? Or do you prefer Stylecraft for tumble drying?

I'm making a Billie from Stylecraft as I think that is a bit hardier than the Cashmerino?

KnottyLocks Thu 14-Aug-14 11:42:13

Catching up here too!

KnottyAndPistey Thu 14-Aug-14 09:15:57

Hi, Belle.

Have replied on FB but will here too.

Use the black as a background colour. I can send some more brights that you could combine with it and your other colours if you'd like.

Knotty

BelleOfTheBoys Sun 10-Aug-14 20:22:14

Hiya, I've posted this on fb but thought I'd stick it here too. I've been given a load of stylecraft Dk but most of it is black. I suppose it's not really suitable? I was toying with combining it with the green, purple and cream I have from Chernobyl left over but I see you prefer no cream either?

No idea what to do with it lol.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 01-Aug-14 10:01:19

Thinking it might be wise to ask for a Pause in Posting, as I'll shortly be away, and can’t guarantee there will be anyone able to take woolly treasures in.

If folk try to avoid posting from tomorrow until Mon 25th Aug. Obviously given our deadlines, if you need to post in that time, please do, if it can’t fit through the door, I’ll go along and collect it from the PO as soon as poss.

Huge thanks to everyone thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 01-Aug-14 10:00:36

Morning smile

Beautiful Hugs have been arriving, both for the Billie's Blanket project and Little Hugs for Yorkhill project. Heartfelt thanks, this is an amazing thing you do. thanks

Little Hugs...

thanks WatchingOut
thanks a lovely anonymous Woolly Hugger
thanks macarooned
thanks PurpleFrog
thanks Mrs Baker

Billie's Blankets

thanks a lovely anonymous Woolly Hugger

Separate Squares..

thanks YellowStripe

We honestly appreciate everything so much, these beauties really will help children and their families going through very difficult times, thank you thanks

You are a star thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 31-Jul-14 09:35:57

Thanks lovely xx

Morning smile brew

TenMinutesToLanding Sat 05-Jul-14 21:05:50

I'll make some more Pistey, I've still got some Stylecraft left from my last wool shop. And if not, I'll just have to go and buy some more. grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 30-Jun-14 09:07:55

Thanks lovely xxx

Kveta Sun 29-Jun-14 08:52:55

I'll make a 12 incher or two, once I have my other WIPs out of the way (ha ha ha). Anyway, will aim to get some done by end of the summer holidays!

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 26-Jun-14 18:20:24

And for our Little Hug project - arriving from the very lovely MOS a gorgeous little blanket. Huge thanks to her. Tis just lovely. thanks

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 26-Jun-14 18:19:09

And no sooner launched and we have more Billie's Blankets arriving, pictures on Facebook - huge thanks, what a Marvellous start to this phase of our project thanks

thanks HairyPotter
thanks YellowStripe
thanks YellowStripe For the extra yellow and blue squares for a joint project. Excellent!

Thank you thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 25-Jun-14 09:46:11

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Announcing the next phase of our Billie's Blanket project.....

With huge thanks to World Child Cancer, we will be sending Billie's Blankets to Myanmar at the beginning of October, last posting to be Monday 22nd September for whole blankets.

The making of twelve inch squares in Stylecraft Special DK for our Children of Chernobyl project has been very successful, and we'd like to continue with those for our Billie's Blanket project, so those and six inch in Stylecraft will be particularly welcome too. Last posting for squares to go towards Billie's Blankets please to be Saturday 6th September.

ALL welcome to join this project, we'd love to have you on board. Thank you.

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Pistey and Knotty xx

The first blankets for Myanmar are here, this beauty from the very lovely Woolfey. Huge thanks to her xx

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 17-Jun-14 09:00:36

Beautiful Little Hugs for children in Yorkhill have been arriving, huge thanks, these will mean the world to children and their families going through very difficult times.

thanks RiaOverTheRainbow
thanks Mhw02

Thank you so much, you stars. Xx

And good news, we hear that the Billie's Blankets have arrived safely in Bangladesh with Liz and Ed from World Child Cancer, all love to those who receive them, and thanks to the WCC team thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 09-Jun-14 11:09:55

The collection of Billie's Blankets for children in Bangladesh is on its way to the WCC London office. Love in every stitch. Thinking of the children and families who will receive them. X

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 05-Jun-14 15:40:08

Starry stars!

Huge thanks to all who have recently sent gorgeous blankets, so beautiful. Lovely Ninja is coming over tomorrow to help sew in tags, I plan to lock the door and not let her leave until she has done them all smile

Billie's Blankets for children in Bangladesh from......
thanks Kingfisher
thanks Ophelia's lovely mum
thanks psychomum
thanks bluesky
thanks MOS
thanks Karen Wood

Little Hugs for children in Yorkhill from.......
thanks Kingfisher
thanks Ophelia's lovely mum
thanks psychomum
thanks Karen Wood

Each one of you is a star, bless you thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 02-Jun-14 10:05:06

Morning woolly chums brew smile

Being asked for reminders of deadlines for our ongoing projects, so here we are, as always HUGE thanks to everyone. thanks

Wednesday 4th June - Billie's Blankets for Bangladesh.
Saturday 14th June - Sqs for Children of Chernobyl project
Saturday 5th July - Little Hugs/Angel Teds for Yorkhill

Need to lie down just looking at that...

Looking further ahead..
Wednesday 1st Oct - Angel Hugs for the Brompton.

Thank you thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 21-May-14 08:57:12

Morning smile brew brew

YellowStripe Mon 12-May-14 18:36:52

Pistey I've PM'd you with some newbie hooker questions smile Looking forward to joining the team!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now