Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(780 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

KnottyAndPistey Fri 13-Nov-15 07:41:25

*We are delighted to be launching the next phase of our Billie's Blanket project. With your help and support, we will be sending a collection to children in the Philippines in January. As always huge thanks to the fab folk at World Child Cancer for transporting them for us.

Last posting will be January 8th.

We love whole blankets and 12" squares in Stylecraft Special DK, please send squares by end of Dec, and clearly mark they are for Billie.

All crafting information is here, all welcome to join us! thanks

KnottyAndPistey Sun 08-Nov-15 20:35:06

Our Billie's Blanket collection for Ghana is ready. thanks

It leaves the UK next Sunday but will start its journey tomorrow by going up to World Child Cancer's London office. Love in every stitch for the children and families who receive these, our thoughts are with them, with Billie's family too.

Huge thanks to all crafters and donors alike, just fabulous! xx

*We will be launching the next phase of our ongoing Billie's Blanket project this coming week, do keep an eye out, and thank you star thanks.

PurpleFrog Sat 07-Nov-15 20:28:17

Yeah! Now to get my other bits and pieces finished for the next deadline!

KnottyAndPistey Sat 07-Nov-15 17:59:33

12kgs of Little Hugs on their way! And a message from RHC, Glasgow....

Thank you so so so so much!! I cannot tell you how delighted the children will be - we'll make sure they go to poorly children who need their warm hugs. Much love and thanks.

KnottyAndPistey Sat 07-Nov-15 17:58:24

It made the collection too Purple!

PolterGoose Fri 06-Nov-15 09:33:57

PurpleFrog Fri 06-Nov-15 09:26:30

I did make it up - but I got the idea from one that someone else did recently in 2 shades of blue. It increases the visual impact without increasing the number of peskies to sew in - win, win! grin

PolterGoose Fri 06-Nov-15 09:16:39

I love the way you've changed colours Purple, did you make it up as you went? It's very effective smile

KnottyAndPistey Fri 06-Nov-15 08:05:03

Such a beautiful rainbow Little Hug for a child in the Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow, just gorgeous, thank you so much to the lovely PurpleFrog, you star

PurpleFrog Thu 05-Nov-15 18:00:10

Oh brilliant! I just checked online a few minutes ago and it was still out for delivery.

KnottyAndPistey Thu 05-Nov-15 17:56:32

Just arrived lovely Purple. Thank you!

PolterGoose Wed 04-Nov-15 10:02:02

Glad it arrived safely, it looks a lot bigger than I remembered!

KnottyAndPistey Wed 04-Nov-15 08:08:16

MyHermes really has stepped up a lot hasn't it? Just looked online, we can track your parcel from here too, and it's at your local depot, well that was last thing yesterday, and you dropped it off at 13.53!!

So unlikely to be today, it says from time of email 2/3 working days.

Quite impressive really!

KnottyAndPistey Wed 04-Nov-15 08:04:35

Morning! brew

Such a gorgeous Billie's Blanket for a child in Ghana beautifully made by the very lovely Poltergoose tis absolutely stunning. Heartfelt thanks to her, what a star xxx

PurpleFrog Tue 03-Nov-15 18:14:40

Tomorrow sounds a bit optomistic as I just missed the courier when I dropped it off yesterday. But you never know!

KnottyAndPistey Tue 03-Nov-15 16:40:28

Thank you - we had an email saying to expect two days, so fingers crossed for tomorrow, thank you xxxxxx

PurpleFrog Mon 02-Nov-15 14:15:19

There is a little hug on the way to you via Hermes. I just dropped it off at lunchtime.

KnottyAndPistey Mon 02-Nov-15 12:51:27

Oh wow!

Think I'd be tempted to go quite simple actually, really frame it, that is just a stunner, THANK YOU, and well done you - extraordinary! xxx

Mhw02 Sun 01-Nov-15 11:07:26

Just finished joining this one. Sadly there must be at least 500 ends to sew in before it's finished!

Any ideas for edging it?

KnottyAndPistey Sat 26-Sep-15 10:44:28

Morning smile brew

KnottyAndPistey Thu 24-Sep-15 14:14:13

The Little Hugs have arrived!! Just had this message..

Many Thanks from all the patients, parents and staff on Ward 2, of the Great North Children's Hospital, Newcastle, for the huge Woolly Hugs parcel we received today. We can't thank you enough for the love and hugs you've sent our way. We're a happy, colourful, snuggly ward this afternoon. Lots of love is sent back your way from all of us - to all of you x x

So glad they are with the children, love in every stitch, and hugs built in for those fantastic parents too. Sending so much love to all on Ward 2 <sniff> star thanks

KnottyAndPistey Thu 24-Sep-15 10:38:32

Not at all! I just thought that you could see all the others, but not yours as it was kind of hidden! All is well, they should be arriving with the children today. Shall be all [fret] until it comes up on the tracking thing that it has arrived

And yes, how lovely that the star blanket has gone to just the right child. Was so thrilled when she messaged.

Mhw02 Wed 23-Sep-15 18:19:37

I saw it straight away; no need to apologise! (Oh crikey; do I come across as that needy?! grinblush)

Very chuffed about the news about the star blanket too!

KnottyAndPistey Tue 22-Sep-15 09:07:26

Apols to Mhw - her gorgeous heart blanket is at the bottom of the pile on the right, it isn't clear in the photo. x

KnottyAndPistey Tue 22-Sep-15 09:06:39

Good news, the Little Hug collection for Ward 2 at the Great North Children's Hospital in Newcastle is ready to go off this morning.

Love in every stitch for the children and families who will be receiving them.

We can't thank you enough everyone, crafters and donors, this is just marvellous. star thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now