Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(704 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

Love looking at everyone's creativity in wool.

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Thu 05-Mar-15 20:42:34

Piste - have PM'd you for address details.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 04-Mar-15 14:28:56

thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks

Launching the next phase of our Billie's Blanket project, and it will be making blankets to go to children in Ghana with World Child Cancer.

We love to receive whole blankets but also please remember we also always LOVE 12 inch squares in Stylecraft special DK to go towards joint blankets.

All crafting info is on the website here.....

All welcome to join, we'd love to have you on board.

As always the most ENORMOUS thanks xx

thanks

Last posting for whole blankets is April 18th.

Thank you doesn't seem enough. but THANK YOU thanks

thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 03-Mar-15 18:39:56

On the way to World Child Cancer's London office this afternoon.

The Billie's Blanket collection has begun its journey to Bangladesh.

WCC say a huge thank you, and are looking forward to giving the blankets to the children, they will be sending us some photos from the trip. Always rather over whelming to see, but lovely too.

Thank you everyone. Love to those who will receive the hugs. X

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 03-Mar-15 18:37:35

Always thinking of Billie thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 03-Mar-15 18:36:42

Here is the whole collection ready to go to Bangladesh thanks

Thank you so much, donors and crafters alike. x

ZingNinjaRoll Mon 02-Mar-15 21:22:26

thank you for picking them up Pistey !thanks
I saw the photo of all of them piled up on the Facebook page, made me well up. such beautiful crocheted and knitted ones, I'm so privileged to be part of this project.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 02-Mar-15 14:57:18

This one of two simply stunning fabric Billie's Blankets for children in Bangladesh. Just fabulous. They are fleece backed, slightly quilted and so beautifully made by the very lovely Zing. the most enormous thanks to her. xxx

The collection goes tomorrow, just making ready the group photo thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 02-Mar-15 08:56:36

Stunning tree of life blankets arriving, beautifully knitted by two friends, Sally who knitted the beautiful green blanket and Eleanor who knitted the beautiful turquoise blanket.

These are just fabulous and for our Billie's Blanket collection to go to children in Bangladesh.

The most enormous thanks to both Sally and Eleanor. Such stars xxx

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 25-Feb-15 08:41:30

Apologies Sally - missed this but glad we caught up with you on email. Your blanket was STUNNING. Hope you've seen all the praise on our FB page?

Thank you too Mhw - stunning Little Hugs, you really are a star thanks

sallylowe10 Sun 22-Feb-15 10:42:05

Where do I send completed billie's blankets?

Mhw02 Fri 20-Feb-15 16:59:29

Sorry I haven't sent any blankets in ages. Have just posted some Little Hugs today - didn't have any paper to hand so there's no note in them, but they are from me!

Have some more to send if I ever get round to sewing in the blasted peskies!

KnottyAndPistey Thu 29-Jan-15 20:26:11

You are awesome Zing! thanks

ZingTheGreat Wed 28-Jan-15 07:35:43

my first Little Hug patchwork quilt blanket is almost finished (halfway through stitching the back of binding)

i have made the top of a second (needs assembling). these are both pink backed.
then I will be working on 2 Billie Blankets (orange back for a medium sized and blue for a biggish one)

dining room is currently flooded with boxes of bits of fabric! I claimed to the dining table while cutting the squares and rectangles I use, which means the kids have picnic breakfasts and dinners on living room floor grin they seem to thrive on chaos so all good!wink

and DD points at my rotary cutter, then points at herself saying: "No! Mama!"(she doesn't speak much)

i hope to finish these for before Feb date.

KnottyAndPistey Wed 28-Jan-15 00:10:52

Thanks lovely, sounds perfect! xx

I have one in the making, a very bright pink with multi coloured stripes. hoping to get it finished for the next batch.

KnottyAndPistey Sat 17-Jan-15 08:52:07
KnottyAndPistey Sat 17-Jan-15 08:45:04

We are delighted to be announcing the next phases of our Billie's Blanket project with World Child Cancer, whilst thanking the very lovely Mrs DeVere for this glorious blanket, the sight of which is warming up this very cold morning. Thank you so much, tis absolutely beautiful. thanks

We have three phases over the next six months, if you'd like to contribute a whole blanket to any of these collections we would be so grateful, if that feels too much, please remember we also love, love, love 12 inch squares in Stylecraft special DK, links to crafting info pages on the website are below.

All welcome to join, we'd love to have you on board. As always the most enormous, heartfelt thanks xx

* Billie's Blankets for Bangladesh - Last posting is February 25th.

* Billie's Blankets for Ghana - Last posting April 18th.

* Billie's Blankets for Myanmar - Last posting June 6th

Thinking of Billie thanks xx

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 14-Jan-15 15:46:01

Our Billie's Blankets are on their way to the Philippines. First stop WCC's London office...

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 14-Jan-15 10:11:33

Here is the whole collection thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 14-Jan-15 10:11:07

Thinking of beautiful Billie thanks

The collection of Billie's Blankets to go the the Philippines is ready. Full of love and colour, they are absolutely glorious. Love and thanks to World Child Cancer for taking them to the children for us, and huge love to the children and families who receive them. Thoughts are with them all. thanksthanks

Thanks to all crafters and donors who have made this possible. Hopefully after lunchtime we will have news of the next phase of this project.

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 14-Jan-15 10:09:37

This beautiful Babette blanket has been made using twelve inch squares sent to us, and will be going to the Philippines for a child with World Child Cancer. Such a beautiful team blanket, thank you to everyone who contributed, you are stars. We love receiving 12 inch squares, if this could be you, all crafting info is linked to here, all welcome to join us. thanks

beta.woollyhugs.com/index.php/current-projects/babette-panels-adventure-yarn/

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 12-Jan-15 08:11:33

Hello lovely, sewn blankets are welcome at any time for the Little Hug project, details above or here on the website.

and also for our Angel Hug project, which is here..

Thank you! thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

ZingTheGreat Sun 11-Jan-15 17:25:17

oh I've just read the initial post, I hadn't realised that sewn blankets can be donated at times.

please let me know when projects like that pop up again, I have half done patchwork quilt tops and tons of fleece and would be so hapoy to contribute!

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 21-Nov-14 20:41:29

We are really pleased to be able to announce the next phases of our Billie's Blanket project. In January we have the opportunity to send blankets to World Child Cancer's project in the Philippines, and that would be just brilliant.

We'd love to have you on board, all crafting info is on our website, linked below, but please message us if we can help you further. Last posting for whole blankets to be FRIDAY 9th JANUARY We do though understand that between now and then it is a madly busy time and this might be too big an ask. Do remember though we LOVE to receive 12 inch panels to make up group blankets, and this may be a good way to join in. Panels need to be made in Stylecraft Special DK. Any twelve inch squares please to arrive by December 31st.

WCC are also planning trips to Ghana and Bangladesh later on in the spring (provisionally April/May tbc) so as soon as we have more news about those projects, we will let you know.

As always you are stars. Thank you! xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now