Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(645 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 23-Jul-13 20:00:12

Never had gin?

<faints clean away>

KnottyLocks Tue 23-Jul-13 22:13:52

<revives Pistey with gin wafted under nose >

AnyaKnowIt Germany Wed 24-Jul-13 08:07:08

no problem, they sell all sorts of stuff but they have never heard off stylecraft shock

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 24-Jul-13 16:09:20

Only just coming round now!

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

thanks Lots of thank yous coming today, starting with the very lovely Fan

And, just wow!

For an older child in Yorkhill, stunning and so big, approx 170cm by 150cm (67" by 59) A beautiful crocheted Hug in the shape of a pentagon. Absolutely marvellous, huge thanks once again to fan thanks Xx

your welcome Pistey its donated, I made it a few years ago and its been sitting in my cupbaord not being used. So it needed to be sent somewhere where it will be cherished and used.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 24-Jul-13 16:34:35

Well, it most certainly will be loved, cherished and used. It has an important job ahead of it, and I am certain it will be more than up to the task, bless you. Tis gorgeous Xx

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 25-Jul-13 13:59:21

thanks More huge thanks are needed, we can't thank folk enough. All the Hugs we receive and Babette panels will have new homes and important jobs to do, so thank you, and all are pictured on our Facebook page MNWoollyHugs - well worth a visit thanks

Billie's Blankets for Ghana from MrsBaker, RiaOverTheRainbow, and MNPin2013 thanks

Little Hugs for Yorkhill Hospital from MNPin2013 and Valerie thanks

Babette Panels from RiaOverTheRainbow and Jules146 thanks

Heartfelt thanks to all

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 27-Jul-13 10:39:27

Morning smile brew

Sorry.....

Two parcels have gone to the sorting office, got the red card of doom. I had to go and do jobs down the High Street this morning and lovely posty came early for a change. Sorry. I'm away this week coming but DH will be here, he'll go and retrieve them. Am back for one day next weekend then off again, so if anyone has anything to post, maybe best now to wait until after Aug 19th.

SoupDragon Sat 27-Jul-13 12:01:05

My mum brought over a bag of more squares this week that she has been knitting away at. I have to hook them into a blanket along with the two other blankets worth of squares she gave me last time

<<waves at TheOldDragon in case she's watching>>

KnottyLocks Sat 27-Jul-13 23:15:04

Aww, Soupy. Please give your mum a big woolly [star] from us smile

<waves at OldDragon just in case>

SoupDragon Sun 28-Jul-13 07:57:01

She hasn't knitted since DD was born 7 years ago - she's reached the point where there is nothing left to knit really! I suggested she do squares as a joke really but she likes the smallness of the project and it keeps her fingers moving. Dad is less pleased due to the clicking of needles at TV time!

Mhw02 Sun 28-Jul-13 16:11:15

Oh, just as well I saw this! I just finished a blanket last night and was going to post it tomorrow. Will hold off. This might even give me a chance to get another off my in-progress blankets finished before I post!

KnottyLocks Wed 31-Jul-13 22:07:17

Currently working out how much yarn I can take on holiday without overloading our baggage. I may chuck out a couple of DH's trews grin

MOSagain Thu 01-Aug-13 07:41:21

LOL, me too knotty just bought some spare needles to pack in case the bastards at security try to steal the ones I'm taking hand luggage grin
In a panic over my Bilie's blanket, really want it to go to Bangladesh as have personal connection there but worried won't make deadline <debates cancelling forthcoming holiday>

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 03-Aug-13 15:36:31

Have lovely holidays! wine [ThumbsUp] Xx

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Just popping in with some thank yous this afternoon, from the very lovely BornToFolk two gorgeous Billie's Blankets, one a knit, one crochet with butterflies and flowers. Just beautiful, and photos already on Facebook. thanks And three lovely Little Hugs for Yorkhill, but not sure who to credit. They are just lovely, a photo is already on Facebook, thank you!

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 04-Aug-13 10:08:35

We have heard from our lovely crafter from yesterday, she is choosing to remain anonymous, but huge thanks to her anyway X thanks

MOSagain Sun 04-Aug-13 11:12:07

oh bless her, she shouldn't be shy with that talent grin
quick question for you pistey. Am frantically trying to finish my billie's blanket that I'd really like to go to Bangladesh. Will try sewing together myself but no way can I edge it. Does that matter?

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 04-Aug-13 11:28:35

Lovely MOS, the deadline for Ghana is 31.8, the blankets for Bangladesh will go later, that trip is in December, so we will want them later than for Ghana, no deadline for Bangladesh is set yet, so no frantic rush iyswim.

The bigger blankets Ruby did for Ghana haven't been edged and are lovely see here...

I must crack on, maybe another brew first might help smile

MOSagain Sun 04-Aug-13 12:48:29

Arse! So I've been frantically knitting like a loon when I didn't need to! (Puts down needles and supervises children at soft play)

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 04-Aug-13 13:25:30

<snort>

KnottyLocks Wed 07-Aug-13 16:45:07

Checking back in from over the sea while internet is available - which ain't often!

JollyHappyGiant Wed 07-Aug-13 20:30:36

This dropped off TIO. Trying to get something finished by the time baby arrives.

MOSagain Sat 10-Aug-13 07:34:17

Almost finished and am hoping to sew together and post before I go on holiday next Friday. As Bangladesh deadline ages this can go to Ghana and will do another for Bangladesh

AnyaKnowIt Germany Sat 10-Aug-13 20:25:29

mine are all wrapped up in lots of bubble wrap waiting for the 19th

Mhw02 Mon 12-Aug-13 10:12:43

I have two completed Little Hugs sitting in my knitting bag waiting for the 19th. It's going to be a bit of a wrench sending them as usually when I finish them they're in the post within a day or two, whereas these ones have been sitting for weeks with me looking at them and stroking them!

Trying to finish an Angel Hug now so I can send them all off at once.

Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK is on special offer for £3.50 in my local John Lewis at the moment, so I'm stocking up ready for my next project. Only problem is the selection of colours is vastly reduced. It's a bit annoying because there are such gorgeous colours available in the Aran and Baby ranges which are all mixed in with the DK so one has to be careful when buying on the adjoining shelves!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now