Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(645 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

PurpleFrog Wed 17-Jul-13 19:46:33

My Babette panel is in the post. I forgot to put a warning on the outside to wear sunglasses before opening... so if you receive a purple plastic mailing bag Pistey, take care! grin

I'm seeing how much I can finish in time for last posting for Snorris's squares.

One of my panels stretches to 12" but it's a bit lopsided. I know you don't want squares to be blocked but is it OK for panels? I don't know if being bigger makes a difference.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 18-Jul-13 14:03:05

Ria, my instinct is to say leave unblocked, I think by hooking them together, they will be pulled into shape, then there will be a border round the whole thing, but maybe wait for Knotty to be sure?

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Three beautiful Babette panels arriving today from the very lovely LizaRose thanks One is in shrimp, saffron, spring green, then two in cloud blue and I think clematis. Say think clematis, only my handy colour chart has the same wool for that and wisteria. hmm Photos on Facebook.

They are gorgeous. Thank you.

KnottyLocks Thu 18-Jul-13 18:03:11

Ria, wot she said ^ grin Not blocked gives us more wiggleability.

3littlewomen Thu 18-Jul-13 20:26:43

Hi ladies... am interested in helping with this knitting.... but with a twist!!

I am a fairly advanced knitter (sorry do not want to be boastful), but also mix machine embroidery with my knitting. i would happily do a panel and embroider as required (text suggestions welcome). Will upload some examples of work when not breastfeeding fussy baby).

Thanks, I'll send it as is then smile

KnottyLocks Fri 19-Jul-13 07:41:19

Oooo sounds exciting, 3littlewomen smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 19-Jul-13 19:16:37

A beautiful Babette panel arriving today from the very lovely PurpleFrog. Tis gorgeous, and in turquoise, saffron and pomegranate. Gorgeous. Photo on our FB page. Huge thanks to her thanks

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 19-Jul-13 20:44:50

loving the new web design for the woolly hugs site grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 20-Jul-13 13:30:50

smile thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 20-Jul-13 13:32:07

Two beautiful Babette panels arriving from the very lovely bebejones. Just gorgeous! In magenta, plum, saffron, shrimp, and spring green! Huge thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 20-Jul-13 13:33:46

Three beautiful knitted Billie's Blankets for children in Ghana arriving from the very lovely Rubycon, absolutely gorgeous, huge thanks thanks

JollyHolidayGiant Sat 20-Jul-13 16:05:10

Are granny squares too holey for little hugs or would they be okay?

JollyHolidayGiant Sat 20-Jul-13 17:41:45

I'm using Stylecraft Special so if It's too holey I will stop at 12 inches for a Babette panel smile I've just discovered how to do bobbles. So much fun to be had!

JollyHolidayGiant Sun 21-Jul-13 20:05:08

Looked on the website and I see a lot of grannys so just going to keep going and make this one a little hug.

KnottyLocks Mon 22-Jul-13 07:52:41

Thanks, Jolly smile

Would it be OK to use some Hayfield Bonus dk for the Babettes? It's almost identical to the Stylecraft (and my local Abakhan doesn't stock SS).

Mhw02 Mon 22-Jul-13 20:54:20

I'm not having much success with my current round of blankets.

Billie's blanket - I bought some cotton yarn on holiday specially for a Billie's blanket. I didn't buy enough and it's a Hungarian yarn I've not seen on sale locally or online and I don't know if I can match the colours or feel with a yarn I can buy locally. The Billie's blanket therefore had to be turned into a Yorkhill blanket, as it only reached 19 inches before I ran out of yarn.

Angel Hug - I'd left this one lying for a while, half finished. I now can't remember the pattern. Through meticulous counting I think I've now worked it out, but I had to tear out my square half way through three times because I had it wrong.

Little Hug for Yorkhill - Apparently I am too stupid to sew 24 squares together. I had cut out all the pieces, marked the sewing lines on the back and laid them out in the pattern. Between measuring the sewing lines wrong and also somehow switching squares round when I picked them up to join them together, I am losing count of the number of times I've had to unpick my stitches and start again.

They'll get finished eventually...

JollyHolidayGiant Mon 22-Jul-13 21:17:54

I've frogged this little hug in its entirety 5 times so far. It's now over 12 inches square and I've just realised that 5 rounds ago I made an error. My own fault for not using a pattern. It's cute though and good fun to do smile

AnyaKnowIt Tue 23-Jul-13 08:39:53

mhwO2 what is the name of the yarn. my local shop sells yarn from all over. I could see if I could try and get hold of some

Mhw02 Tue 23-Jul-13 13:44:51

That's very kind, Anya, but I knew I was running out so it's already finished off with a border and sewn in and everything. Plus i've thrown out the wrapping so I couldn't actually tell you the brand name!

I've got another Billie's blanket in the works though made from some lovely, soft Rico baby yarn, so all is not lost!

Jules146 Tue 23-Jul-13 14:06:30

A couple of Babette panels on their way to you smile hope they're ok x

KnottyLocks Tue 23-Jul-13 18:34:08

Apologies - usual end of term chaos hit here!

Ria, give it a whirl and let us know how it goes.

Mhw, need a gin? grin

KnottyLocks Tue 23-Jul-13 18:35:04

Thanks, Jules smile thanks

Mhw02 Tue 23-Jul-13 19:44:21

I don't think I've ever actually tried gin - I think I've only ever tried the tonic part. I may however, need to hit the sangria. wink grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now