Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(675 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

KnottyLocks Fri 21-Jun-13 13:24:28

Liza, they'd be perfect smile

MOSagain Fri 21-Jun-13 18:29:46

am hoping to start my babette tonight. Am aiming to try one large square to avoid sewing together

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 21-Jun-13 19:04:55

I've missed the hooking as you go stage sad

But in Good news, just 4 little 2 round squares to go, fingers crossed I don't run out of woolly wool as I'm using left overs wine

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 23-Jun-13 08:28:24

Have a few longer train commutes this week, so will finish mine, even if it means sewing in peskies on the go. smile brew

bebejones Sun 23-Jun-13 18:46:56

Do we need to do more than one panel in the same colours to balance it out colour wise when all hooked together?

KnottyLocks Sun 23-Jun-13 19:51:55

No, Bebe. But if you'd like to, that would be lovely.

We are well aware these blankets will be a festival of colour - and hopefully put a smile on the face of those who receive them.

bebejones Sun 23-Jun-13 20:18:51

Just doing my final 3" square now before hooking together...might do that tomorrow, the light is a bit rubbish now! Will possibly do a 12" single square to use up the odds I have left smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 24-Jun-13 06:29:42

Babette and I are on the train. Can't see straight yet so maybe start in a mo or it might be even more of a festival of colour than I intended. grin

KnottyLocks Mon 24-Jun-13 06:41:22

Less an adventure in yarn, more of a riot. grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 24-Jun-13 12:50:00

grin

Quite.

brew

I do have a Q.

When the panel is all attached, do you crochet round the edge?
No rush, I'm just thinking...

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 24-Jun-13 14:27:03

Babette is all done, and although I'm itching to go round the edge (no idea why) I shall hold fire, I see you didn't Knots, and I suspect it would spoil the effect. Anyway, I shall do a 12" granny square to finish off the colours.

So pleased with myself. And Babette obv. grin

MOSagain Mon 24-Jun-13 14:35:43

grin

KnottyLocks Mon 24-Jun-13 18:31:54

Hurrah for Babette!

Try to avoid edging. I know it makes it look finished but it'll make the blankets look less 'whole' IYSWIM.

Oh i've cocked up hmm

I must have skim read the OP and started making a whole blanket Babette style. I'm hooking together as I make the squares and it is already bigger than a 12" panel.

Can I keep going and just send you what I have when I run out of these colours? It should be a decent size. I'll make a proper panel for a group blanket when I'm done.

Sorry <flagellates self> hmm

AnyaKnowIt Mon 24-Jun-13 21:31:12

<marks place>

I've completed my first woolly hug (pic should be on profile)

Just about finished a angel hug then will make a start on a billie blanket.

KnottyLocks Mon 24-Jun-13 22:14:48

Anya, that is just gorgeous smile Thank you thanks

<pokes Woolly with a hook for a) not reading the OP and b) for the stealth boast > grin

Jules146 Tue 25-Jun-13 07:48:01

Morning brew biscuit

Anyone else finding the 'fitting together' difficult or is it just me? I can't seem to work out how to put them together properly!! And I fear this brew will turn into this wine before long... and it's only 7.45am!! confused HELP blush

HairyPotter Tue 25-Jun-13 07:56:09

These look gorgeous. All my attempts to crochet have failed sad Can anyone point me in the direction of some knitted patterns? not too tricky if possible

brew thanks

AnyaKnowIt Tue 25-Jun-13 08:58:16

Knotty Thank you smile

Jules What method are you using needle or hook? Would this be any help?

Hairy have you looked at www.ravelry.com/

KnottyLocks Tue 25-Jun-13 09:00:52

Hairy, there's a Crafting Guide on the Woolly Hugs website that has a variety of patterns and links too.

Jules, what size are your squares?

HairyPotter Tue 25-Jun-13 09:40:46

I've had a look but they don't seem to be as fabulous as the crocheted ones.

I'll have another mooch around the ravelry site later. thanks

Babette and I are on a day-trip to Liverpool. smile I am currently hooking my way through the posh bits of Cheshire.

I have decided to follow instructions properly and do a 12" panel. I'll finish my freestyle version later. smile

Jules146 Tue 25-Jun-13 18:17:44

Anya thank you but it's not so much the attaching together as much as the matching it up so they line up and look half decent suitable. I just can't work out how to put it together blush

Knotty so far I have 2x 5x5's, 2 x 3x3's and 2 2.5x2.5 which I know isn't enough but I was going to try and hook it together so far to see what I needed iyswim! confused

KnottyLocks Tue 25-Jun-13 18:40:27

Jules, hmmm. What about turning the 5" into 6" for starters.

The 2.5 into 3", then put those together with the other 3" to form a 6".

Leaves you a 6" space to fill.

KnottyLocks Tue 25-Jun-13 18:41:15

I think... Maybe grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now