Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(660 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 28-Jan-14 06:26:57

Thanks lovely thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 29-Jan-14 07:05:45

Three beautiful crocheted Little Hugs for children in Yorkhill Hospital arriving safely from the very lovely NotaSausage. Photos already on our Facebook page, one was donated to her, but the other two she made having only started crochet 6 months ago. Rather fabulous! Thank you thanks

Huge thanks to her MIL too for a gorgeous woolly mountain of squares to be made into a blanket thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

annielewis Fri 31-Jan-14 16:09:36

Hi everyone - I was just wondering if the James C brett here is ok to use for angel hugs or little hugs blankets - I want to give this a go as a new 'hooker'. I don't want to waste time and funds on something that won't be any use to you lovely folk tho....

Thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 01-Feb-14 07:07:37

Morning annie and thank you so much. Welcome on board.

That yarn is absolutely fine, really good that it can be machine washed and tumble dried, the Little Hugs that go to Yorkhill do tend to have quite a busy life and need to be easy to care for.

See here for all the information about sizes etc and if making an Angel Hug, all white please.

And good luck with your project, bless your heart. THANK YOU thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 03-Feb-14 18:12:15

More beautiful blankets have been arriving, huge thanks to all.

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Just beautiful. In soft peach and parchment, a crocheted Billie's Blanket for a child in Tanzania from the very lovely bluesky. Huge thanks to her, this is gorgeous. thanks

Five absolutely gorgeous floral Little Hugs for Yorkhill Hospital and WCC have arrived from Piggy's fabulous mum. Heartfelt thanks to her. Just marvellous. thanks

Three super soft and snuggly Little Hugs for Yorkhill have arrived from the very lovely Valerie K. Each has a sweet little appliquéd duck in the corner. Just gorgeous. thanks

Two beautiful zingy striped Billie's Blankets for children in Tanzania arriving from the very lovely Mrs Baker. Really fabulous. thanks

Huge thanks to everyone, just awesome

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 16-Feb-14 09:08:52

More beautiful blankets have arrived from the awesomeness that is bluesky

One is a multicoloured granny, of which blue says...

"Have used up all my leftover bits and pieces, have a nice clear wool basket now."

For how long we wonder..... smile

MOSagain Sun 16-Feb-14 22:46:54

Sorry to be a pain but could you please remind me of posting dates x

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 17-Feb-14 07:40:24

Morning smile brew

Last posting for Tanzania : FRIDAY 28th MARCH 2014.
Last posting for Cameroon : MONDAY 19TH MAY 2014.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 17-Feb-14 07:42:52

We need to set the next deadline for Little Hugs, but actually that March date would be good smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 26-Feb-14 06:47:40

Ah, here you are

Morning smile brew

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 26-Feb-14 06:49:16

Last posting for the next batch of Little Hugs is to be FRIDAY 28th MARCH

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Mhw02 Wed 26-Feb-14 22:08:39

Just finished last square of latest blanket - yay! Just need to hook it together now. Shouldn't take too much longer!

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 27-Feb-14 08:57:42

Oh just wow! You really are a star Mhw xx thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 27-Feb-14 09:05:30

Coming in with some thanks from the last week, beautiful blankets arriving, so much love and work, honestly am full of awe. Can't say awesome anymore due to song in Lego film smile But if I could, I would!

thanks fan Bright and beautiful in pink and yellow, a crocheted Little Hug. Thank you.

thanks Beautiful knitted Little Hug in violet and grape for a child in Yorkhill Hospital from the very lovely BeerTricksPotter. Just gorgeous. Heartfelt thanks to her.

thanks Three beautiful crocheted Little Hugs arriving from the very lovely Mrs Gunning. All just glorious! Heartfelt thanks to her.

thanks Two beautiful knitted Little Hugs in cream, from lovely OpheliaBumps' mum. Just gorgeous. Huge thanks to her. Xx

thanks Just beautiful, a crocheted Little Hug from our very lovely Oma in pinks and pale blue. Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you.

Thank you to everyone, you are all stars

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 01-Mar-14 13:27:45

More thank yous, folk are being so amazing. thanks

smile

Huge thanks to....

thanks TimrousBeastie Beautiful Little Hug for Yorkhill crocheted in Lavender, Clematis, Wisteria.

thanks Two absolutely gorgeous Billie's Blankets for children in Tanzania. Both from the very lovely bluesky. One in pale rose, cloud and cream, the other silver and fondant.

thanks A beautiful Billie's Blanket for a child in Tanzania from the very lovely NinjaGoose. Tis a vortex spiral. Awesome.

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 09-Mar-14 07:56:04

Beautiful blankets have been arriving both for our friends at Yorkhill and at World Child Cancer. Huge thanks to all. thanks

thanks Two beautifully bright and bold striped Little Hugs for Yorkhill arriving from the very lovely Mrs Baker. Gorgeous. thanks

thanks Just beautiful in blues and aspen. From the very lovely bluesky, a gorgeous crocheted Billie's Blanket for a child in Tanzania. thanks

thanks Such a beautiful Spring pastel coloured crocheted Billie's Blanket, from the very lovely Rachel and for a child in Tanzania. Just gorgeous. thanks

thanks A beautiful Billie's Blanket for a child in Tanzania in magenta, saffron and turquoise, arriving from the very lovely PurpleKittyKnitting. Tis vibrant and fabulous thanks

Thank you so much EVERYONE smile thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 13-Mar-14 21:51:08

Was out today and arrived home to find the Posty had done very well getting most of it through the door, but there is one parcel that was too big and is at the sorting office. I am out again tomorrow, but hope to get on Saturday, if not definitely on Monday.

So if you were hoping for something to have arrived, it nearly has smile thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 14-Mar-14 06:55:08

Beautiful! A Billie's Blanket for a child in Tanzania from the very lovely Sylvia G has arrived in pink, white and navy crochet.. Just gorgeous. Huge thanks to her thanks

And a Billie's Blanket arriving from the very lovely MOSAgain. Just super. Huge thanks to her too. She used sherbet, meadow, spring green, aspen. Super. thanks

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 24-Mar-14 09:53:18

Morning smile brew

KnottyLocks Mon 24-Mar-14 20:57:03

Checking back in!

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 26-Mar-14 19:17:30

Just to say I was out today when the Posty came and they have left a red card of doom. sad Says two parcels. So if you were expecting to hear of safe arrivals aujourd'hui then that is where they are. I can go first thing tomorrow and retrieve.

Thank you thanks

smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 04-Apr-14 17:45:25

Afternoon smile [jammy dodger] brew

Beautifully woolly treasure has been arriving, both Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs. Thank you to everyone thanks

Beautiful Billie's Blankets arriving from all these lovely folk.

thanks MrsDevere
thanks Mhw02
thanks Mrs Baker.
thanks MNP
thanks Tricia
thanks Lynda M
thanks fan
thanks RiaOverTheRainbow

The collection for Tanzania will go to World Child Cancer's Office on Monday 14th April. thanks

And beautiful Little Hugs arriving for children in Yorkhill Hospital, they will go that same week, date to be confirmed.

thanks PurpleKittyKnitting.
thanks MNP
thanks Mhw02
thanks Tricia
thanks Lynda M
thanks fan
thanks PurpleFrog
thanks RiaOverTheRainbow
thanks Rebecca

Much starry starriness. Thank you

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Mhw02 Mon 14-Apr-14 13:55:19

Working on a sewn blanket right now.

I always start stitched blankets thinking "oh, I'm not actually making the squares so I'm really only doing the hooking together bit, this won't take any time at all", and every time as soon as I start stitching I realise exactly how long it takes me. I never learn.

Must buy a sewing machine at some point, that wouldn't be cheating, would it?

KnottyAndPistey Mon 14-Apr-14 21:05:10

arf at cheating!!

KnottyAndPistey Mon 14-Apr-14 21:06:07

We are delighted to let you know that the collection of Billie's Blankets for Tanzania are with the lovely team at World Child Cancer, they will fly out with Liz on Monday. They go with love from us all. Thank you to everyone, donors and crafters alike, what a fabulous and very important collection. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now