Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(680 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

EnidClowes Mon 06-Jan-14 21:19:13

Glad it arrived safely xx

watchingout Tue 07-Jan-14 13:29:23

Thank you for posting up FB photos - I love getting inspiration from other finished projects for colour combos. Off to get some denim Stylecraft smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 07-Jan-14 20:06:58

Just sending watchingout off to Facebook to see who liked her Billie's ripple blanket yesterday <beams>

Two beautiful striped knits, so bold and cheery, just fabulous. They are Little Hugs from the very lovely Mrs Baker. Truly fabulous! Huge thanks to her thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

watchingout Wed 08-Jan-14 13:30:49

Started with confused moved onto shock.

Now blushblush and gringringrin

Bowing down and dancing is quite difficult doncha know....

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 09-Jan-14 16:16:42

arf!

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 09-Jan-14 16:21:07

Just lovely! thanks

A Little Hug for a baby in Yorkhill from the very lovely GoingGoingGoth tis absolutely gorgeous, made from nine beautiful squares, huge thanks to her X

Just a reminder, last posting for the next collection of Little Hugs is Saturday 18th January. THANK YOU!

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

KnottyLocks Fri 10-Jan-14 21:12:05

<hookity hook>

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 12-Jan-14 09:23:25

Just ordered 100 labels. Keep us going for a bit smile

Morning brew

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 12-Jan-14 12:38:54

We are delighted to be announcing the next two deadlines for our Billie’s Blanket project.

In the spring and early summer we will be sending our blankets to children who really need a woolly hug and to feel extra love and comfort in Tanzania and Cameroon with the lovely folk at World Child Cancer.

Last posting for Billie’s Blankets to go to Tanzania : FRIDAY 28th MARCH.

Last posting for Billie’s Blankets to go to Cameroon : MONDAY 19TH MAY.

A huge thank you to everyone.

Thinking of beautiful Billie and her family.

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

DancesWithJonSnurr Tue 14-Jan-14 21:33:54

I have a little hug finished. I shall post it next week.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 14-Jan-14 22:25:10

Thank you so much thanks

MNPinto2014 Wed 15-Jan-14 01:17:50

T me in, tho how i missed this announcement at the time :/ don't do mn much now, rely on fb.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 15-Jan-14 05:50:16

Thanks lovely X

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 16-Jan-14 09:00:31

Morning brew

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 16-Jan-14 15:19:47

Two beautiful Little Hugs for children in Yorkhill arriving safely today, just gorgeous!!

thanks SallyBear A rainbow oversized granny square blanket, lovely and cheery, in stylecraft. thanks

thanks MOSAgain Knitted in a very soft Debbie Bliss Cotton DK in pink and purple a lovely patchwork blanket. thanks

Both just smashing. Huge thanks indeed thanks

Just setting up our Facebook and Website photo albums for 2014, so many beautiful things already!

Mhw02 Fri 17-Jan-14 18:18:29

Posted a couple of blankets today. I believe I have actually managed to include a note in the parcel that includes neither rambling nor apology. Got to be a first for me!

KnottyLocks Fri 17-Jan-14 22:59:38

Oh bless you! smile

You wouldn't be alone in apologising though: so many crafters do it. I've done it myself... The wondering 'is this good enough?' , 'what if it isn't ?'

And I can honestly say, a square made thinking of another; the effort gone into each square, every blanket, can make such a difference and be such a comfort to those who receive them. thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 19-Jan-14 17:43:34

Afternoon smile brew

Beautiful Little Hugs for Yorkhill arriving, lovely, huge thanks, just fabulous. Am hoping the labels we ordered arrive soon so we can get on and sort out the delivery. I send speedy vibes smile

Three Little Hugs arriving this weekend, two from lovely Mhw02, and one from the equally lovely bluesky. Marvellous, and just lovely. Huge thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 20-Jan-14 10:15:50

Thinking of the beautiful and inspirational Billie on the day that should be her 22nd birthday. Much love to you MrsDeVere, and to all of your family Xx

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 21-Jan-14 09:19:22

In honour of Billie's birthday yesterday, we had several donations to our Just Giving Page for World Child Cancer and also funds to buy yarn for Billie's Blankets. We only know their actual names, but they will know who they are. Thank you so much

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 22-Jan-14 16:26:44

We have a lovely donor to thank, your funds for our Billie's Blanket project are safely here, and we really appreciate your support. We will use your money to buy yarn, so because of your generosity, we will be able to send more little blankets to children who really do need a hug.

Bless your heart

thanks DonkeysDontRideBicycles

KnottyLocks Thu 23-Jan-14 07:11:25

Just finishing off a babette... Tis a cheery one smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 23-Jan-14 08:09:05

Huzzah for cheery!

Huge thanks to the very lovely DancesWithWoolsEnPointe a gorgeous crocheted Little Hug for a child in Yorkhill Hospital arrived yesterday. Just beautiful. Huge thanks to her. thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 27-Jan-14 15:10:43

Afternoon smile

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Three beautiful Little Hugs in zingy colours that even brought the sun out. For a while, at least. Just beautiful and cheery. And a large Billie's Blanket in pinks with a gorgeous pink butterfly and heart embellishment.

All from the awesome Rubycon

Thank you

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

MOSagain Mon 27-Jan-14 20:56:28

Just trying to do an angel hug in next two weeks then will crack on with my next Billie's blanket

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now