Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(680 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

Mhw02 Mon 25-Nov-13 18:43:45

I've got some blankets ready to send, but I'm afraid they're going to miss the posting deadline as I've got no way of getting to a post office before the weekend (there isn't a post office in the village I'm doing my placement in, and I'm never home before five). Sorry! blush

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 26-Nov-13 10:43:31

Hope the placement is going well lovely, and please no apologies needed. Your blankets will be the perfect start to the next collection.

thanks

Mhw02 Tue 26-Nov-13 18:32:20

It is, thank you! Am very excited about a music lesson all set for Friday. I've been itching to do some music since I started and have some fab songs planned out. It's going to be awesome!

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 26-Nov-13 22:29:15

It sounds it! Fantastic! X

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 29-Nov-13 15:44:57

The collection of Billie's Blankets for Bangladesh are now with Lydia at World Child Cancer. As I said on Facebook, I got a black cab from Vauxhall and the cabbie wouldn't let me pay. Said what we were doing was amazing and bless us all. smile

Hoping they give some comfort to the children and families who receive them. They are certainly made and sent with love. Lydia promises us an update and hopefully some photos. Our blankets leave the country next Friday. Safe journey little blankets! Lydia too obvs. WCC say a huge thank you to everyone. X

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 29-Nov-13 15:52:58

Woolly thanks yous!

thanks thanks

thanks Beautiful Little Hugs for children in Yorkhill Hospital from the very lovely Rubycon TimrousBeastie and fan Huge thanks to them. thanks

thanks Just beautiful, NinjaGoose's Billie's Blanket for a child in Bangladesh. Bobble stitch! So very lovely, in texture and colour. Marvellous. Thank you!! Also for WCC, a gorgeous ripple in blues, from the very lovely OhOneOhTwoOhThree thanks Gorgeous blue knit from lovely MOSAgain And using every shade of pink with butterfly embellishments, from our lovely MrsDeVere Perfect THANK YOU thanks

thanks thanks

Mhw02 Sat 30-Nov-13 11:45:30

Blankets posted this morning, and for once I actually made the last post. grin

However, I had forgotten to sew in a couple of ends on the border of one of the blankets, so was actually sewing on ends in the post office. blush Now I know organisational skills aren't my forte, but that was ridiculous even for me. Double blush

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 02-Dec-13 06:54:41

Bless your heart Mhw, no worries fgrin

<gets needle>

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 03-Dec-13 10:10:06

Mhw02 The blankets are STUNNING!! Thank you so much! thanks

Going to send the two larger ones to Yorkhill, and use the other two to start our new collection of Billie's Blankets if that is OK? The next Billie's Blanket project looks likely to be in Tanzania in the spring, still finalising with WCC.

Huge thanks, you really are a star X thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Mhw02 Tue 03-Dec-13 16:46:44

Yes, that's perfect! As I said, am happy for them to go to whichever project they're best suited to.

SuperNappy Tue 03-Dec-13 16:53:06

Mhw you're wonderful smile

Mhw02 Tue 03-Dec-13 17:04:02

Now that's not a word I often hear in connection with me. Eccentric, enigmatic, abnormal, a whirlwind, clumsy, scatter-brained, overly-analytical are all far more usual. I was also called wicked the other week, though I think the person was being ironic as she said it in a jokey way and I genuinely hadn't done anything wicked at all...

But wonderful, that's a new one, I like it! grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 15-Dec-13 09:14:12

Morning brew

Have had a message asking if these projects were ongoing, and yes, they absolutely are.

We are talking to World Child Cancer about our next project with them, looks likely to be the spring. So please, keep crafting thanks fgrin

thanks Rachel Ives A beautiful crocheted multicoloured large granny square style Billie's Blanket. Thank you so much. X

Lydia from WCC is in Bangladesh right now and has posted some very moving photos of young patients receiving our Billie's Blankets. You can see them on our Facebook page MNWoollyHugs

She says.....Huge thanks to the ladies at Woolly Hugs who have once again allowed us to hand out beautiful Billie's Blankets to children at our projects.

Love to them all Xx

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 15-Dec-13 09:26:41

And for Yorkhill......

thanks Two fabulous Little Hugs arriving from the very lovely Ali11. Knitted in parchment, fondant and denim. Gorgeous. Thank you to her

Next posting for Little Hugs is to be Saturday 18th January. THANK YOU!

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 16-Dec-13 17:46:54

We have been so blessed by fabulous folk making and sending Little Hugs, including those we received from the very lovely Debbie Bliss, that we have managed to arrange for two boxes to be delivered to Yorkhill before Christmas.

Huge thanks to all thanks

UPS are coming tomorrow afternoon, just enough time for labels!

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 17-Dec-13 14:37:40

And they are on their way to Yorkhill, sent with much love from us all.

Thanks to Frances at Family Support for helping us thanks

KnottyLocks Wed 18-Dec-13 21:08:46

Go to work, Little Hugs x

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 22-Dec-13 09:03:21

And they have arrived safely, we have received a letter from Frances at Family Support and she thanks everyone for their continued support and wishes us a very lovely Christmas. fsmile

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

An absolutely beautiful Little Hug has arrived with a flower design from the very lovely HoggyTruffle In grape, cream, pale rose and pomegranate.

Thank you so much Hoggy, it really is fabulous X

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

MOSagain Mon 23-Dec-13 08:21:13

Just checking in now I've finished other projects. So next deadline is yorkhill in Jan then BB in spring.
...... Goes to rummage through hidden stash.....

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 24-Dec-13 09:04:30

Bless you lovely MOS

Thank you thanks

fsmile

ahhh just coming on to ask about deadlines smile Spring for Billies, any idea on angel hugs?

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 28-Dec-13 22:54:24

Thanks lovely Ninja - yes we will talk to WCC in the week when the schools go back, to work out dates. The same with the lovely folk at the Brompton. Last took there in October, so it should be end of Feb time, but again, we will speak to them and get a definite date.

Thank you so much Xx

thanks

fab smile thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 05-Jan-14 10:40:19

Morning all brew smile

Just checking back in en route to buy woolly wool!!

Scratching around to see if any codes or sales.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 06-Jan-14 18:06:22

Afternoon brew <-- black no sugar (am low carbing in case BIWI is around)

smile

Beautiful woolly treasure has been arriving, huge thanks to the crafters! Just awesome. The photos are already up on Facebook (MNWoollyHugs)

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

A gorgeous Billie's Blanket has arrived from the very lovely EnidClowes. Crocheted in granny square style, in such a lovely colour mix - teal, turquoise, sherbet, aspen and cloud blue. Gorgeous. Huge thanks to her. thanks

From the very lovely WatchingOut, a beautiful Little Hug for a child in Yorkhill Hospital, Glasgow. A nine sided star, Attic24 colour ish combination, so colourful and bright. Apols the photo on FB not doing it justice, it just rained at the wrong time, but it is glorious! thanks

Again from lovely WatchingOut a stunning Billie's Blanket. Just beautiful, tis a big ripple stripe, beautiful colours, such an amazing creation. Huge thanks thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now