Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(680 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

Woolfey Wed 18-Sep-13 07:21:44

I too will hopefully have a couple of hugs done for the next deadlines. I'm aware I've been neglecting you lovely woolly lot recently.
<Chucks around lots of cake to make up for being a bit rubbish>

KnottyLocks Wed 18-Sep-13 07:33:48

You are all brilliant smile

Huge thanks thanks

Woolfey, no need to apologise my lovely. We know only too well that RL can be pretty hectic! X

JollySleepyGiant Wed 18-Sep-13 07:36:09

I've decided to give up on hugs for the moment as I just don't have time sad I started what was meant to be a hug the other day, only to discover that the yarn I've bought is not very washable so it's just not suitable.

I shall be back at it after Christmas though, if I don't find time before.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 19-Sep-13 17:40:30

Bless you Jolly we really do understand, big hugs from us, and thank you xx

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 19-Sep-13 17:47:32

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Some thanks yous this evening smile

thanks To a lovely donor who yesterday sent some funds to help with our general costs. Hugely thoughtful, and we really appreciated it, thank you. We only have a proper name, and have thanked directly by email, but just wanted to thank here too. You are a star X thanks

thanks Macdog for the most lovely red, blue and yellow crocheted Little Hug for a child in Yorkhill, so gorgeous thanks

thanks LizaTarbucksAuntie For a super snuggly garter knit Billie's Blanket for the Ghana collection. Just perfect. Thank you thanks

And as many will have seen, the Little Hugs have arrived safely with Family Support at Yorkhill. Huge thanks now to Frances for thinking about where best they go and distributing them. I can imagine that can't be an easy task.thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

MNPlovesthesunshine Thu 19-Sep-13 21:59:00

Glad they have arrived. Xx

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 19-Sep-13 22:21:22

Me too! smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 20-Sep-13 16:22:49

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

And the first and certainly very beautiful Billie's Blanket for a child in Bangladesh is here. Huge thanks to the very lovely Rachel Ives, tis absolutely gorgeous. thanks

And in case you missed our excitement this afternoon, MNHQ are going to match fund what we raise on the Woolly Hugs Just Giving page for World Child Cancer! WOW!!

thanks thanks thanks Huge thanks, Justine xx

The linky is here, just in case you were wondering smile

KnottyLocks Fri 20-Sep-13 16:38:46

Gorgeous blankets smile

Huge thanks to all, crafters and donors alike thanks

KnottyLocks Fri 20-Sep-13 16:39:22

Match funding <happy dance>

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 26-Sep-13 09:05:17

Match funding <beams>

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 26-Sep-13 09:09:15

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Beautiful woolly treasure has been arriving, huge thanks to the crafters and donors, there is much awesomeness around. smile

thanks HilaryM for a gorgeous crocheted Billie's Blanket in sherbet, spring green and parchment. Tis just lovely thanks

thanks To lovely MrsBaker Two gorgeous striped knits, lovely textures too using different stitches, one is a Little Hug for Yorkhill, the other a Billie's Blanket. Gorgeous thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

CatsInCustard Thu 26-Sep-13 14:33:58

I'm hopefully planning to make a 24 by 24 inches Little Hug in bright coloured squares. Getting wool at the weekend and will dig out the knitting needles smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 26-Sep-13 19:16:34

Oooo sounds lovely smile

Thank you so much!! thanks

tribpot Thu 26-Sep-13 22:22:54

Hello huggers!

I'm just popping by, since weirdly a number of my worst work moments have been recounted on Woolly Hugs threads, to announce I resigned today. No job to go to - all a bit WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 'WTF have I done' at the moment.

Anyway, I do also have three squares to send off, so will DM you Pistey smile

Woolfey Thu 26-Sep-13 22:29:06

Trib, you will be fine. I once did the same thing and the next job I took just because it was a short term contract role and I desperately needed the money ended up being one of the best jobs I've ever had and I even met my husband through it smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 26-Sep-13 22:32:56

All change at a Trib Towers then?! Big hugs lovely. Xx

tribpot Thu 26-Sep-13 22:50:35

Well that's good to know, Woolfey - although I hope I don't pick up another husband, cos there's laws against that sorta thing wink

I've had some positive feedback today to suggest there are options I can try and chase down, although I don't have very sort of 'conventional' experience for my sector that translates easily into a similar job in another organisation. And knitting for a living is not yet an option grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 27-Sep-13 10:44:40

Really good re the positive feedback trib, fingers crossed for you X

Am Babetting away, but want to add in an oblong solid granny or trad granny in the next one, any ideas anyone on the how? Saw a blanket made like this, just wonder how you start it off... brew

KnottyLocks Sat 28-Sep-13 09:28:20

Sending hugs and positive vibes , Trib x

Pistey, do you mean an oblong that runs the length of the panel?

Good luck Trib. The best thing I ever did was to resign from a job I hated. I didn't go back after ML and was lucky enough to be able to be a SAHM for a while.

I have just this week got a new job - only a few hours a week and at about a third of my old hourly rate, but in a school office with the prospect of it becoming a more substantial role in a month or so.

On the down side - this will eat into my crafting time and my planned Christmas poncing plus I have to move house before Christmas. I have sparks coming off my needles trying to get ahead of my to do list grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 28-Sep-13 09:56:28

Yes, I do, so instead of stripes, try an oblong granny along one edge.

Morning smile brew

JollySleepyGiant Sat 28-Sep-13 12:19:04

dishclothdiaries.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/striped-rectangle-granny.html?m=1

Pistey, here's the pattern for a rectangle granny.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 28-Sep-13 17:00:24

Ooooo thank you Jolly, that is exactly the sorta thing, I shall have a look,
thank you thanks

AnyaKnowIt Sat 28-Sep-13 17:36:53

Marking my place as its dropped off threads I'm on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now