Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(680 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

KnottyLocks Thu 22-Aug-13 21:31:55

Checking back in!

I posted a day or so ago but for some daft reason it didn't register confused

Anyway, I'm here! You lucky people grin

hmm

KnottyLocks Thu 22-Aug-13 21:39:56

Mhw, the quilted Little Hugs on our Facebook page are cotton front and fleece back. Quite a few are quilted using the 'stitch in the ditch' method, which actually disguises stitches on the front and the stitches on the back sort of sink into the fleece. They are minimally quilted so they don't become too flat.

Have a go smile

Mhw02 Thu 22-Aug-13 21:51:01

Okay, so what exactly does stitch in the ditch mean? And is it possible to do without a sewing machine? At the moment with my sewn quilts I just patchwork the cotton and stitch the fleece on round the edge, but don't actually quilt the body, if that makes sense. This is fine for little quilts, but I was wanting to try something a bit bigger and was worried a bigger one might look a bit silly if it wasn't quilted properly, if you see what I mean!

KnottyLocks Thu 22-Aug-13 23:11:19

You can easily stitch in the ditch by hand. If you google, you'll get a better explanation than mine!
Basically you do a running stitch over the seams where the joins are. You don't need to do every join though.

So , for example, if I did an 8 by 8 panel, I could stitch on the 4x4 square seam, then the 6x6 seam.

KnottyLocks Thu 22-Aug-13 23:14:29

You will need to pin your quilt out first to avoid puckering too much.

There are posh quilting pins for this that look a bit like nappy pins but safety pins will do.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 23-Aug-13 07:37:43

Fleece can be determined to pucker, I find. I had some that was stretchy and made me want to direct rude words at it. Obviously I didn't actually swear hmm [angel]

Morning smile

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Lovely Little Hug from MOSAgain for a child at Yorkhill, huge thanks to her, tis lovely thanks Pic already on FB. thanks

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Mhw02 Fri 23-Aug-13 08:05:37

Thanks knotty. Pistey, you're a better woman than me of you don't actually swear at puckering fleece grin! I also have a tendency to use certain choice words when I realise I've sewn the wrong squares together and have to unpick.

KnottyLocks Fri 23-Aug-13 08:17:51

Oh she swore grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 23-Aug-13 11:03:32

smile

You know I always assumed that "stitch in the ditch" was a Knottyism, had no idea it was a real thing grin

KnottyLocks Fri 23-Aug-13 11:12:09

Me actually using technical terms that actually exist! Obv need more coffee 

KnottyLocks Fri 23-Aug-13 11:13:01

See? grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 23-Aug-13 11:27:42

%$^%&399258)*%£@ 90&9 03&%$^ * 284682 &(*^&%$

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 23-Aug-13 11:27:56

grin

SoupDragon Fri 23-Aug-13 11:57:10

I am at my parents right now. Guess what I will be taking home with me grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 23-Aug-13 13:11:14

Um...

Nope, can't think......

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 23-Aug-13 14:24:22

She's only trying to keep you out of trouble Soupy. Bless her smile wine <- wine is for her!

A gorgeous Hug arriving safely just now from the very lovely Donna on our FB page. It's a big crocheted granny square, lovely colours. thanks

And there is a photo of a cotton and fleece Little Hug going to Nocakeformeplease's four year old son who has been recently diagnosed as having a kidney tumour (Wilms) and is in the early stages of treatment. Bless him, there is love and strength for him and his whole family in every stitch, and it is sent from us all. Xx

thanks

PiggyPlumPie Fri 23-Aug-13 14:54:20

My mum has sent two more blankets - she really puts me to shame!

How easy is it really to learn to crochet???? My knitting is sooo slow for blankets and it's a blooming nuisance trying to get sizes right for squares so am tentatively considering teaching myself to hook...

MOSagain Fri 23-Aug-13 20:36:01

Sending love to nocakes and her ds. Mine is the same age and it just doesn't bear thinking about. In my thoughts and prayers x

SoupDragon Fri 23-Aug-13 20:41:09

But I suggested the squares to her in order to keep her out of trouble!

Mhw02 Sat 24-Aug-13 16:37:32

Finally managed to re-stock my Stylecraft stash, so can get on with finishing my blankets now.

Soupy, your mum sounds the exact opposite of mine. Mine asked me to teach her to crochet, so I went out and bought her a nice big crochet hook and some chunky wool, and her response was "oh, maybe another time.". Turned out she hadn't wanted to learn to crochet at all, and had no intention of getting me to teach her, but thought that the act of asking me to teach her was a good way of pretending to show showing an interest in what I was doing. After 28 years she still hasn't quite worked out that I have a tendency to take what people say literally.

AnotherWorld Sat 24-Aug-13 19:12:01

Just checking in - it's been a slow crochet month so I'd dropped off all Woollly threads.

Off to find woolly runners now...

AnotherWorld Sat 24-Aug-13 19:12:32

('tis me - OtherWorld wearing a cunning disguise..)

Does anyone have an end bit of Saffron? I'm 3 treble clusters short and everywhere's out of stock angry

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 26-Aug-13 05:46:13

Morning all brew

Ria - will look for you, if I haven't, I'm sure we will be able to find some. Fret not smile

KnottyLocks Mon 26-Aug-13 07:56:40

Will have a check through my stash here too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now