Run Woollies, Run!

(619 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 28-Apr-13 13:24:53

The continuing story of how Team Woolly Hugs does running. All newcomers very welcome!

Our first fabulous runner, PiggyPlumPie has been there, done that and quite literally has the tshirt (gorgeous btw) and we are looking forward to more runs taking place round the country, and further afield maybe? <Looks at our International Blanketeers smile>

We are doing this to support the Billie's Blanket Project being run by the Woolly Hugs community, see here This project was launched as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday. In Billie's name, and through World Child Cancer we will send little blankets to children who are suffering from cancer, and who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after. Our first batch has already gone to Malawi, the next will go to Ghana and Bangladesh.

We are helping raise funds so that alongside Billie's Blankets, we can send a donation to World Child Cancer. Money is so scarce, they really have so little. There will be other fundraising events this year, but we are RUNNING!

These are where the 5K runs will takeplace, they are all over. But even if you run round the block and someone sponsors you to do so, it all counts!

Our Just Giving Page is here. Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in. At this moment we are up to £1,116.33, where will be be when this thread is full?!

Enter established events soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you are running so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things, the support here is awesome and we love Piggy's idea of tying a woolly bracelet on to run, then we are all with you as you go. smile

MNWoollyHugs on Facebook - come and find us, you can still remain anonymous smile

For novices....Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

* Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have a done risk assessment>

* Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.

* Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.

* Open front door and go outside.

* Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support.

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

Absolutely amazing, fantastic work by all involved (organisers, runners and donors alike) thanksthanks

Can we post that total in Chat? There's a fair bit of crap here and a lot of complaining about MN atm, might be nice to balance it with something positive?

What a fab amount raised! Well done everyone

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Fri 08-Nov-13 08:45:20

grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 07-Nov-13 09:40:22

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Just look at this Team Woolly Hugs! isn't it just blow you away amazing??!!

£2,757.24

And there is other money folk have collected independently, I know lovely BIWI is over £750. There is to be a small special craft sale to add to this, so hopefully more to come.

Tis awesome what we can do together....

We......

* Put down our woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles.

* Put on our trainers, they were indeed soft bouncy shoe-things that went on our feet.

* Put on something loose and comfortable to wear, that wasn't a caftan, Londoners opting for knitted norks grin .

* Opened our front door and went outside. Some in sun, some in rain!

* Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination! <Vivid memory of BIWI slogging up the hill>

WE DID RUNNING!

Thank you!

Yay, well done CoffeeandChocolateplease! Enjoy your well-deserved roast and trifle grin

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Sun 03-Nov-13 15:53:17

Woo hoo! Brilliant.

5madthings Sun 03-Nov-13 15:48:44

Yay well down coffee grin

Now put your feet up!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 03-Nov-13 11:30:00

Oh you really are marvellous!! Well done you. X

That is so funny about the sun. I swear BIWI is still drying out after our London 5K!

Enjoy the trifle grin You deserve masses!!!

Run done! 1hr 20 mins, pretty slow but I ran all the way. And got back to the news that my friend's baby arrived yesterday (was due today). Woo hoo! Off for a roast at PILs now. And lots of trifle.

Thanks for the support, I thought of you all when I was running. It was raining until the klaxon went off at the start then it stopped and the sun shone for the rest of the morning!

Mintyy Sat 02-Nov-13 19:12:42

Can I do it tomorrow? Getting ready to go out to party, feeding dc, dh at work, getting dd ready to go out to fireworks with her chums. Won't forget!

Congrats on raising amazing amounts of moolah!

And good luck Coffee flowers

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Sat 02-Nov-13 19:02:52

Ooooh! Someone - anonymous - has donated another £20 to my page, so I've raised over £750 now! grin

Wolfcub Sat 02-Nov-13 18:16:54

well done woolies grin

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sat 02-Nov-13 18:14:40

Brilliant!

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Sat 02-Nov-13 17:58:19

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 02-Nov-13 17:47:20

Good grief!

We are on £2,737.24 for World Child Cancer!!

<beams at JustineMN>

<then falls over>

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 02-Nov-13 17:45:58

Oi, Mintyy, where's the dosh?!!!!!!!!!!

grin

CoffeeandChoc lovely, take yourself over to our FB page - lots of good luck messages for you there!

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Sat 02-Nov-13 17:12:11

Oi, Mintyy, where's the dosh?

grin

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sat 02-Nov-13 16:29:21

Good luck Coffee!

Mintyy Sat 02-Nov-13 16:24:38

Aha! tracked you down. Now I don't know how or why, it just slipped my mind completely (poss because I had the inlaws staying here for several days) but I failed to sponsor you, Biwi and Hepsibar for doing that rain-soaked run in my manor Crystal Palace the other week.

Am so sorry blush.

One of you really should have given me a prod!! Oi, Mintyy, where's the dosh?

Anyway, I am going to make a donation to the three of you via the Woolly Hugs Just Giving page. Sorry its so shamefully late! You were a game old trio, you really were.

5madthings Sat 02-Nov-13 16:16:14

Good luck coffee and eek at 8:30am!

Hope the weather is OK. If you are used to running hills then a flat run will be easy peasy!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 02-Nov-13 16:13:30

It was driving rain and so ccccold, but actually fiiiine when we got going!

Enjoy your cuppa when you get home, bless your mum!

Thanks, will get them e-mailed to you.

I think the rain is supposed to be on and off, so not too bad, I think you lot had it really badly didn't you? Mum is looking after the children so she'll be under strict instructions to get the kettle on when we're on the way back!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 02-Nov-13 15:39:38

If you email them to us at admin@woollyhugs.com then we will put them on, think sometimes when others post on the page it gets lost somehow.

Hopefully it won't be too wet for you, I think us London lot acknowledge how trying that can be!

I'll get DH to get some photos, shall I just put them on the facebook page?

Yes. Not a typo!

The race closes the main road into Plymouth city centre so I guess they want to get it open again as soon as possible. Race Village opens at 7!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now