Run Woollies, Run!

(619 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 28-Apr-13 13:24:53

The continuing story of how Team Woolly Hugs does running. All newcomers very welcome!

Our first fabulous runner, PiggyPlumPie has been there, done that and quite literally has the tshirt (gorgeous btw) and we are looking forward to more runs taking place round the country, and further afield maybe? <Looks at our International Blanketeers smile>

We are doing this to support the Billie's Blanket Project being run by the Woolly Hugs community, see here This project was launched as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday. In Billie's name, and through World Child Cancer we will send little blankets to children who are suffering from cancer, and who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after. Our first batch has already gone to Malawi, the next will go to Ghana and Bangladesh.

We are helping raise funds so that alongside Billie's Blankets, we can send a donation to World Child Cancer. Money is so scarce, they really have so little. There will be other fundraising events this year, but we are RUNNING!

These are where the 5K runs will takeplace, they are all over. But even if you run round the block and someone sponsors you to do so, it all counts!

Our Just Giving Page is here. Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in. At this moment we are up to £1,116.33, where will be be when this thread is full?!

Enter established events soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you are running so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things, the support here is awesome and we love Piggy's idea of tying a woolly bracelet on to run, then we are all with you as you go. smile

MNWoollyHugs on Facebook - come and find us, you can still remain anonymous smile

For novices....Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

* Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have a done risk assessment>

* Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.

* Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.

* Open front door and go outside.

* Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support.

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

5madthings Wed 01-May-13 17:20:49

See i have learnt to do links on my phone (smug) ignores the fact it took me months and tutorial from my thirteen year old to get it eventually

I shall be off out for a run this evening and then i may well need one tomorrow and fri and sat as mil is visiting....

EasilyBored Wed 01-May-13 17:27:54

Well I'm stuck on a tram and some guy just grabbed my boob by mistake (tram is packed, think he was groping for a hand rail). So no links.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Thu 02-May-13 18:25:50

I'm very glad to report that manic stretching seems to have resulted in no shin pain.

Yay! grin

I'm not going to push it by going for my next run tomorrow, but I'll probably try and go on Saturday. Then I will have completed the C25K!

[amazed and gobsmacked]

KnottyLocks Thu 02-May-13 18:28:16

How manic exactly?!

Bravo, BIWI smile

5madthings Thu 02-May-13 18:52:25

Yay for no shin pain grin

I have done a 6km run today and it was shite, i planned on doing 8km but just felt crap, not physically tired but not right, sort of worn out? And i got a stitch, i have a niggly sore throat and feel like i could curl up with a duvet on the sofa and go to sleep. Only mil is here... Depending how i feel.i shall go for a short run tomorrow and then do a longer run on sunday.

Hope your boob has recovered from its groping easily

Bravo BIWI, well done for making it to the end!

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great 5mad and that you have MIL visiting

So, London 10K Woolies, the good news is I have tested out the route grin. It is lovely and flat apart from a small incline near Blackfriars Bridge, and another one by Westminster Bridge. But what goes up must come down smile. It's a very pretty route - or was this afternoon in the sunshine - along the river and past St Paul's. I didn't start and finish right on The Mall (I was working just off Trafalgar Square today) so didn't quite do the whole distance, but got round in an hour and 10 ish, including walking bits, stopping to check map and waiting for traffic lights to change.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Thu 02-May-13 20:20:24

Goodness. That almost made me want to run 10K. Almost. Easy at the back there.

MrsDeVere Thu 02-May-13 20:24:19

I did a few km (not many) at the gym today.
Then came home and went to bed.

So not the best training day.

ah well.

I can always walk fast..

5madthings Thu 02-May-13 20:28:37

I am snuggled on the sofa with a duvet and mug of tea, dp.is entertaining his mother and putting the kids to bed and cleaning up ftom dinner -- i am pretty sure i can see the horror in mils thought process, she thinks dp is hard done by as he actually does stuff around the house/with the kids so the fact he is doing everythinh whilst i do nothing will be frying her brain --

Glad the run is relatively flat, walk/run we will get round and then have a drink after grin

((Mrsdevere)))

MegBusset Thu 02-May-13 21:50:29

I am actually getting quite excited about the run now smile

Did week 10 run 3 today, was fine. 3 x 17 mins next week!

PiggyPlumPie Argentina Thu 02-May-13 22:01:36

I'm not having you lot running a flat route!!!

Can you stop at St Paul's and run up the stairs - right to the top mind, not just the Gallery bit - and back down again?

That makes it comparable to my mountain!

5madthings Thu 02-May-13 22:05:39

Ha ha I am massively relieved it is flat, but you will essentially be the winner of the woollyhugs runners by default as you had hills! grin

meg I did week 10 run 2 earlier this week and was going to just skip wk ten run three but after today's crap run i think I will do wk ten run three on Sunday and then start wk 11 next week.

Going to head to bed soin and either squeeze Ina short run to borrow morning or go min the afternoon/evening depending on how I feel.

grin Piggy. You are definitely the leader of the Woolly Hugs pack!

Feel better soon 5mad. I'm park running tomorrow, feeling a bit stiff today after yesterday's run. I made DH drive us to the station this morning as I couldn't face the 1 mile bike ride/walk - cue much tutting about the environment/waste of petrol etc grin.

5madthings Fri 03-May-13 19:23:52

I do feel better today, still got a sore throat but had a productive time shopping and got a new shock absorber runninh bra and some other running bits smile

Is there a magic technique for doing up the plastic catch at the back of my bra? I can do the normal bit up fine but then higher up at the top between my shoulder blades it has a funny plastic bit to do up. Was a pita in the changing room but once on it is very comy, no bounce etc so happy with it just may end up recruiting dp or a madthing to do up the catch at the back!

I didn't realise that my bra had a top catch for ages blush. I keep it done up and just fasten/unfasten the bottom one to get it on and off.

5madthings Fri 03-May-13 22:00:25

Hmm i dont know if i can get it over my head with the top catch done up... But i shall try!

5madthings Fri 03-May-13 22:03:20

www.shockabsorber.co.uk/en/products/ultimate-range/ultimate-run-bra/

I got this one in.black, they didnt have the purple one in my size, infact it was quite hard to find one in my size as i have a small chest measurement and a big cup size.

That's the same as mine smile

MegBusset Sat 04-May-13 08:31:51

Got up at 6.30 and did week 11 run 1 before breakfast shock

i have a blister though!!

5madthings Sat 04-May-13 09:17:06

I often think i might get up and do an early morning run but i am soooo not a morning person!

How was wk 11 meg ?

MegBusset Sat 04-May-13 09:51:21

I was awake anyway and thought I might as well. Now I can eat DS2's birthday cake without guilt smile

It was fine. No harder than W10, just took longer!

shock meg well done on your early start.

I had every intention of biking to the park run this morning, but it was drizzling as I left so I chickened out and drove - I tried to run extra fast when I got there to make up for it smile. Happy birthday to your ds2, commiserations on the blister.

You feeling better 5mad?

5madthings Sat 04-May-13 19:44:20

8.5km in 56mins woohoo after my last crap run that was really good and felt fine.

My new bra is fab and thankyou for the over the head tip as that worked perfectly. Feeling really chuffed now and burnt over 650 calories to make up for the party food i had earlier...i blame meg for the party food tho!

Glad that you are not trapped for eternity in your bra 5mad grin.

Well done on your run - great time!

EasilyBored Sat 04-May-13 20:37:33

Well done on the run 5mad and yeay fornew bra. I have one that goes over my normal bra and does up with six fastening hooks on the front.

My run today was crap. I'm in agony after netball, my shins, ankles and calves are throbbing and I had to keep stopping. The first part of my run is up a massive hill and I wheezed my way up in one go today. It's bloody hilly in Manchester. Also have inlaws visiting this weekend, feel like they might as well move on. And they fed my child cake ten minutes before bed. Am grumpy tonight in case you didn't notice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now