Run Woollies, Run!

(619 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 28-Apr-13 13:24:53

The continuing story of how Team Woolly Hugs does running. All newcomers very welcome!

Our first fabulous runner, PiggyPlumPie has been there, done that and quite literally has the tshirt (gorgeous btw) and we are looking forward to more runs taking place round the country, and further afield maybe? <Looks at our International Blanketeers smile>

We are doing this to support the Billie's Blanket Project being run by the Woolly Hugs community, see here This project was launched as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday. In Billie's name, and through World Child Cancer we will send little blankets to children who are suffering from cancer, and who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after. Our first batch has already gone to Malawi, the next will go to Ghana and Bangladesh.

We are helping raise funds so that alongside Billie's Blankets, we can send a donation to World Child Cancer. Money is so scarce, they really have so little. There will be other fundraising events this year, but we are RUNNING!

These are where the 5K runs will takeplace, they are all over. But even if you run round the block and someone sponsors you to do so, it all counts!

Our Just Giving Page is here. Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in. At this moment we are up to £1,116.33, where will be be when this thread is full?!

Enter established events soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you are running so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things, the support here is awesome and we love Piggy's idea of tying a woolly bracelet on to run, then we are all with you as you go. smile

MNWoollyHugs on Facebook - come and find us, you can still remain anonymous smile

For novices....Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

* Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have a done risk assessment>

* Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.

* Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.

* Open front door and go outside.

* Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support.

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

jellybrain Tue 16-Jul-13 22:59:34

Ohoneohtwo - that makes me a runner. Yay grin . Did the first session of my 10k plan this morning- a nice easy 3k, run2 is on Thursday. I plan to run early while it's still fairly cool.

Mouseface Sat 27-Jul-13 10:13:40

Morning smile

Just wanted to say "yayayayayayay"! to Jelly for signing up. 10k as well! Brilliant xxx

BIWI - hope your shins are still ok? xxx

Be back soon, keeping an eye on this thread smile xxx

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Jul-13 11:23:59

jelly - Which 10K program are you following? I found one but it has no interval training at all. Just says "Run 35 mins" one day, then "run 40 mins the next time etc.

BIWI Sat 27-Jul-13 14:40:04

Yay! Jelly! are you quite mad?

Thanks Mouseface - yes, my shins seem to be fine at the moment. I'm up to week 6, and will be doing run 3 tomorrow as long as it's not either too hot or too rainy! That is a 25 minute run.

I'll have to be careful about the stretching because it was at this stage that things got really painful last time. But so far, so good! smile

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sat 27-Jul-13 20:36:53

Good luck for tomorrow BIWI!

BIWI Sun 28-Jul-13 08:13:59

Thanks! Just readying myself ...

BIWI Sun 28-Jul-13 10:11:08

Ta dah! Week 6/Run 3 completed. Pleased with the pace too. MapMyRun has me at 6.30min/km. That's a bit slower than I was running last time, but it means that 5K in 30 minutes is definitely achievable.

I found the last 5 minutes quite hard going though, and was very grateful for the parts of my run that are shady. Even though I went early-ish it was still hot.

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Sun 28-Jul-13 21:47:16

Applauds BIWI!

AnotherWorld Sat 24-Aug-13 21:49:03

Just checking in. Took me ages to find this thread. How are you all?

jellybrain Sun 25-Aug-13 22:01:15

Hi everyone, haven't posted for ages- sorry.
Cote- I am using an app called Runkeeper on my iPhone I love the fact that I can just follow it and don't have to work it out for myself.
I was having the wobbles about the Blenheim 10k lots of people telling me how hard it was, lots of difficult hills, and that lots of very serious runners go. Anyway was feeling quite anxious but I have given
Myself a stern Talking to- kids affected by cancer have it much, much harder and I should bloody well get a grip!
I won't be last will I?
Anyway I now have a number and a timer chip and need to get my just giving page set up. Will get in touch with wcc on Tuesday too.
Best of all I ran just over 8k on Friday so I should be able to do 10k in time for October.

Haven't checked in here for ages! Hope everyone is doing well. I am up to 4.5km at the moment - had a bad cold/cough/chesty thing which took me out of training for a week. I have until the beginning of November to get up to 10k.

Hopefully next week will see me reach 5k and then I'll be half way there.

My DH has just received his fundraising pack for the 10K, and it got me thinking about t-shirts - what has everyone else done? Has anyone got a good example of a t-shirt they've used/made? I am suffering from a lack of imagination!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 01-Sep-13 07:48:49

Morning lovely.

Mostly the lovely London 10K folk all got a running vest from WCC, I can give you the contact email if you like, I know BIWI has one for October, I've only just asked for one. Mousey had a T-shirt from them. Piggy made her own, so did 5mad.

We do have an album in our Woolly Hugs FB with photos in, if it helps.

Am running every other day at the mo, going for 30 mins but by no means running all of that! Got this bloody frozen shoulder going on which doesn't help, so last night went and was a bit woooo on the co-codamol!

Wel done jelly - really proud of you, please let us know the date so we can cheer you on.

brew

Afternoon Pistey, yes if you could pm me the e-mail that would be fab, thank you. I'll have a look at the album too. hope the shoulder sorts itself out soon, can anything be done for it or do you have to wait it out?

8K is great Jelly, I still have a way to go to get that far so well done! Ran 4.59K (roughly!!!) last night and could have done more so feeling pleased with that.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 04-Sep-13 14:33:19

Afternoon smile

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Mon 09-Sep-13 21:50:15

Evening grin

jellybrain Tue 10-Sep-13 10:16:05

Just requested a fund raising pack from WCCsmile Looking fwd to receiving my running vest toogrin next task is to set up a Just Giving page.
Managed to run 9.6 K on Sunday so, nearly there now- need to speed up a bit I am determined not to be lastblush

jellybrain Tue 10-Sep-13 10:20:15

P.s I will be running on the 6th of October. Which now seems ominously close.

Jelly, that's great! You sound ready to run. I'm up to almost 6k, have about 7 weeks till my run.

I think there is a woolly hugs just giving page, there should be a link in the op. I got my vest last week from wcc - Dh is a bit jealous of it as he says it's very good quality!

Hope everyone's running is going well. Anyone else watching the great north run on tv tomorrow? Always gives me a bit of motivation.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 16-Sep-13 11:16:47

Wooohoooooo Jelly!

Nearly time grin

jellybrain Wed 18-Sep-13 21:49:01

Got my WCC vest on Friday. Dd wore it till bedtime - it's her favourite colour grin I got new trainers today which I itching to try out. On a rest day tomorrow though so,might have to wait sad

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 19-Sep-13 07:01:43

I need to email Lydia, Mine hasn't come yet. I asked for one the size of a marquee. Ideally with the poles grin

BIWI Thu 19-Sep-13 08:35:42

Woo hoo, jelly!

How's it all going?

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 20-Sep-13 16:23:31

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

In case you missed our excitement this afternoon, MNHQ are going to match fund what we raise on the Woolly Hugs Just Giving page for World Child Cancer! WOW!!

thanks thanks thanks Huge thanks, Justine xx

The linky is here, just in case you were wondering smile

jellybrain Fri 20-Sep-13 21:10:13

O no I set up my own page. Having said that most of my sponsorship is on paper so I should just be able to pay that onto the Wooly hugs one once I've collected it. And actually run of course!
I have to run 10k on Sunday in training so thought I'd do the actual route or near enoughgrin
Wish me luck.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 20-Sep-13 21:18:11

Huge, huge luck my lovely, we are so proud of you X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now