Run Woollies, Run!

(619 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 28-Apr-13 13:24:53

The continuing story of how Team Woolly Hugs does running. All newcomers very welcome!

Our first fabulous runner, PiggyPlumPie has been there, done that and quite literally has the tshirt (gorgeous btw) and we are looking forward to more runs taking place round the country, and further afield maybe? <Looks at our International Blanketeers smile>

We are doing this to support the Billie's Blanket Project being run by the Woolly Hugs community, see here This project was launched as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday. In Billie's name, and through World Child Cancer we will send little blankets to children who are suffering from cancer, and who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after. Our first batch has already gone to Malawi, the next will go to Ghana and Bangladesh.

We are helping raise funds so that alongside Billie's Blankets, we can send a donation to World Child Cancer. Money is so scarce, they really have so little. There will be other fundraising events this year, but we are RUNNING!

These are where the 5K runs will takeplace, they are all over. But even if you run round the block and someone sponsors you to do so, it all counts!

Our Just Giving Page is here. Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in. At this moment we are up to £1,116.33, where will be be when this thread is full?!

Enter established events soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you are running so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things, the support here is awesome and we love Piggy's idea of tying a woolly bracelet on to run, then we are all with you as you go. smile

MNWoollyHugs on Facebook - come and find us, you can still remain anonymous smile

For novices....Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

* Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have a done risk assessment>

* Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.

* Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.

* Open front door and go outside.

* Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support.

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

Mouseface Sat 25-May-13 20:18:51

I do, can you come pick me up though please? I'm in North Shropshire/Wales way...... grin

Have a fab night xxx

5madthings Sat 25-May-13 22:33:10

Shame you are so far away mouse sad

I ran 7.5km this evening, did t get out till 9pm due to dinner being late, but it was a good run. Bed soon and then getting train to London tomorrow with meg am excited now! grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 26-May-13 09:04:44

Woooooohoooooooooo!

EasilyBored running the Manchester 10K
TODAY!!

Check out her badge on our Facebook page. Tis fabby. She is awesome. Can't wait to hear how she gets on and she has promised some photos.

Good luck EB

And this time tomorrow.......

MegBusset Sun 26-May-13 09:07:56

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/1764827-Good-luck-Woolly-Runners-running-10k-this-weekend-for-Billie-and-World-Child-Cancer

Good luck EasilyBored!!!

MegBusset Sun 26-May-13 09:08:23
5madthings Sun 26-May-13 09:22:04

Yay go easily grin

Mouseface Sun 26-May-13 12:23:00

I'm sat watching the Greater Manchester Run thinking of EasilyBored with her WoollyHug in her heart, and hoping she's okay in this heat.

I keep bursting into tears with all the stories and memories being shared there today.

We used to live 10 mins from the city centre and friends would come stay with us each year to run it........ I miss the atmosphere. It was such a unique feeling, everyone has a story, a reason, it's fantastic.

I've also decided that when I do my hobble, I'm going to take Nemo with me and use his wheelchair to lean on/support me if it's not raining. I've not told him yet grin but DH will come too and maybe even Seth the wolf.......

Who knows. smile

I think you are all so fantastic for doing as well as you are, I hope that you/we can keep going and double the target! xx

BigStickBIWI Sun 26-May-13 18:33:19

Bloody hell, Mouse <wipes tears and quells sobs>

Mouseface Sun 26-May-13 20:09:55

Why the BigStick NC lovely? You need to beat someone into donating? grin xx

And why the 'bloody hell?' with the tears? smile Tis all good, no? smile xx

MrsDeVere Sun 26-May-13 20:26:46

Just sorting out my running shirt.
Writing the names of some of the children I know as well as Billie's of course.
Just too many.
I keep remembering more and finding space for them.

Fucking cancer.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 26-May-13 20:38:07

Fucking cancer indeed. sad

On the M1 near Nottingham. On our way home from the weekend. Will be at Victoria at 8.15. Just need to check train times.

See you all tomorrow Team London Woollies. X

Mouseface Sun 26-May-13 21:34:29

sad always too many names xxx

See you tomorrow. And yes, fucking cancer.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 27-May-13 06:49:03

Here we go....

KnottyLocks Mon 27-May-13 07:25:42

Pom poms ready here.

Run, Woollies, Run.

Will be thinking of you all today and those no longer here. Xx

Did we get a text giving thingy made up??

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Mon 27-May-13 18:33:15

I have been feeling a name change coming on for a while, but couldn't think of one, until I got my time for today's run <twirls>.

So which one ar you then?? Meg, 5mad, neither or mrsDV?

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Mon 27-May-13 18:35:17

Oh good it worked!

It was wonderful to meet everyone today. Massive thanks to Pistey and FTS for their support and cakepops grin.

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Mon 27-May-13 18:36:28

grin

I used to be neither.

FuckThisShit Mon 27-May-13 19:25:40

Excellent name change and HOW awesome is that time!

Mouseface Mon 27-May-13 19:44:04

YAYAYAY - well done you. Great time too!!

I have no idea who you are grin

<passes wine and chocolate and a big Huggle™ from Nemo> xx

5madthings Mon 27-May-13 20:06:17

ha fab name ohone i shall be able to remember who you are!

it was a great day, had a lovely time and even enjoyed running! grin quite happy with my time for my first 10k. i beat my sister grin and meg beat her stepmum. we got identical times as we crossed the line together smile one hr eight mins and 17 seconds smile

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Mon 27-May-13 20:09:17

Thank you Mouse. I lurk more than I post grin

Well done meg and 5mad!

MegBusset Mon 27-May-13 23:25:46

It was so lovely to meet everyone and the cake pop was lush!

Just got home in time to tuck in DS1 and show him my medal. "Did you win?!" he asked. Errr not quite...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now