Support thread for Woolly Hugs - summer (sort of) 2013

(429 Posts)
tribpot Thu 25-Apr-13 07:36:21

Our sympathies and thoughts are with daisydotandgertie, who lost her husband this month.

Woolly Hugs is now in action and this is the support and chat thread at which all are welcome - knitters, crocheters and donors. If you are a first time crafter please do have a go. There is bags of support and plain squares are just as important to our endeavour as fancy ones.

As flowers was one of the requested motifs, I'll just note there's a flowers section in the crafting guide. I might try the posies pattern on this sock pattern. For Welsh (or at least Celtic) patterns, I did this for a previous blanket.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 22-May-13 21:28:18

Beautiful woolly treasure arrived today for all three blankets. Do check out the threads for news of safe arrivals thanks

i think i sent some square for the little hugs, Pistey - the ones that say they're in DK stylecraft (am i right in thinking they're acrylic?)

oh, now i'm cunfused confused

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 23-May-13 14:41:57

Yes you did lovely, a gorgeous pinky one, tis beautiful, thank you. It will go into a joint Little Hug.

I'm going to take my crochet book on holiday this summer, my family will be like this....

hmm hmm hmm and I don't care grin wine

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jacksmania Thu 23-May-13 15:59:14

Squares done smile

Today's to-do list:

- sew in ends
- mail squares

grin

Went to the wool shop earlier to get wool for my forget-me-nots for TeamSurvival blanket and the lady has managed to fob me off with baby cashmerino despite me telling her that's not what I wanted. Should've checked the bag but I was about to throw up so had to rush out blush I shall have to order the right kind online instead! Any ideas for something I can make with one ball of blue baby cashmerino? smile

EarnestDullard Thu 23-May-13 16:10:04

I'm going to try and finish a square for Trinity's blanket in time to bring it along on Monday Pistey. I started one but it's very wonky at both sides so I think I'll call that a practise run and start again. Is double crochet ok? That's all I've learned how to do so far blush

Ruby - you can make a Little Hug with it smile

Thanks Unique I've just had a look at the Little Hugs thread, what a lovely idea. Shall add that to my list of projects! smile

KnottyLocks Thu 23-May-13 20:08:48

Earnest, double crochet is more than

KnottyLocks Thu 23-May-13 20:10:14

Ok !

More than OK!

Sorry, been a hectic day blush

Turningupsidedown Thu 23-May-13 23:28:52

I posted off my squares for Daisy today. I hope they are ok, they are not all the squarest of squares blush It has been a while since I knitted and there was quite a lot more unravelling than knitting to begin with as I was having trouble getting the right size grin I have got a bit faster now and still have wool left so is it ok for me to sign up to do a square for Survival and Trinity’s blankets as I think there is time? Do James C. Brett 3 or 14 count as warm purple? I will pm you Pistey

Just checking in (I'm normally a lurker) to say that, all being well, I'll get my squares for Trinity's blanket posted tomorrow. My Little Hug for Yorkhill will be posted too.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 24-May-13 16:35:27

Turning. Hopefully you have a PM from me. smile.

Thanks Anathema thanks

Is it better for squares to be slightly over 15 cm or slightly under? My granny square is 14ish cm atm, but another round of trebles will take it to about 15.5. A round of dc might work, would that look odd?

I think a last round of DC looks great, sort of gives it a finished border. smile

I always finish squares with a round of DC (2DC, 2Ch, 2DC in the corners) gives it a more solid, neater looking edge.

Thanks smile

Turningupsidedown Fri 24-May-13 20:14:00

Thanks Pistey got the PM, well thats my evening sorted out then, will get started on the next squares! smile

I think I've just sent you multiple PMs Pistey, sorry blush

Turns out I didn't need to PM you anyway, as I did have the address. blush Sorry again.

TheThickPlottens Sun 26-May-13 11:12:20

I've been lurking here as I'm still waiting for my wool to arrive in the post. I ordered it a week and a half ago and I've been watching my postbox like a hawk. (But hawks wouldn't watch postboxes, would they?) that's the bummer of living abroad.

But wanted to butt in here and say Hair's square looks fabulous. And I'm sorry to hear about your colleague Trib. Very sad.

KnottyLocks Mon 27-May-13 07:37:49

Morning all smile

Thank you TheThickPlottens. smile

TheThickPlottens Mon 27-May-13 10:47:03

Woo hoo. The wool arrived and the dcs are napping. Here's hoping they have a 2 hour nap! Wishful thinking...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now