Support thread for Woolly Hugs - summer (sort of) 2013

(429 Posts)
tribpot Thu 25-Apr-13 07:36:21

Our sympathies and thoughts are with daisydotandgertie, who lost her husband this month.

Woolly Hugs is now in action and this is the support and chat thread at which all are welcome - knitters, crocheters and donors. If you are a first time crafter please do have a go. There is bags of support and plain squares are just as important to our endeavour as fancy ones.

As flowers was one of the requested motifs, I'll just note there's a flowers section in the crafting guide. I might try the posies pattern on this sock pattern. For Welsh (or at least Celtic) patterns, I did this for a previous blanket.

Yes, trib - that's the one.
you confused me by calling me BIWI wink

tribpot Wed 15-May-13 19:25:39

Yes, sorry UniqueAndAmazing, was trying to answer questions about IT systems security at the same time - this was far more interesting wink

Although the video has you do k1, p1, k1 all in the same stitch, followed by p3 together so I guess it will end up looking a little bit different (both patterns have a purl row in between).

grin

IME, trinity stitch knits up pretty tight.

HairyPotter Wed 15-May-13 23:40:38

I've done a square or two for Billlie's blankets in Trinity stitch so I'm more than happy to do more for Trinity's blanket.

Just finished a square for daisy and one for trinity and realised there is actually 3 blankets on the go at the moment sad

So, I now have approx 14g of cashmerino left to use for a square for team survival, can anyone help me find a (simple) crochet pattern I might be able to squeeze out of 14g of wool considering my other two squares have eaten up the other 36g of my ball between them?

Or am I fighting a losing battle? Nowhere local to me stocks any of the wool we're using and I don't have the pennies to pay for delivery for another ball online this month sadly.

KnottyLocks Thu 16-May-13 07:13:02

Maud, what colour do you need? I may have some bits here that will match up or tone in that I can send you.

thanks pistey has just pm'd me too, knotty, you are both fabulous.

Anything, anything at all. I don't have a pattern in mind so can fit what I do round whatever either of you have. What I have left is peacock blue, shade 19, of the cashmerino, so anything that tones in / contrasts with that!

thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 17-May-13 14:45:16

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Lots of woolly arrivals today, heartfelt thanks, do check the threads

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

EarnestDullard Fri 17-May-13 15:36:25

Is anyone around? I'm about to try crocheting my first ever square. How many chains (stitches? I'm very new to this) roughly do I need for a 6" square?

MinnieBar Fri 17-May-13 16:04:55

If it's your first ever square Ernest, you're probably best off starting with a granny square, which starts in the centre and works out, so you just stop when it measures 6". I've never tried to crochet a plain back and forth square to be honest, but I haven't been doing it long.

Try Ravelry for patterns smile

KnottyLocks Fri 17-May-13 16:20:43

Earnest, if you want to work horizontally, I normally ch 25ish, then the 2 or 3 before a HTr or Tr .

BIWI Fri 17-May-13 16:21:25

Personally I find it easier to work vertically. That way I don't spill my gin.

KnottyLocks Fri 17-May-13 16:23:52

grin

Find it hard to believe you'd spill your gin horizontal either!

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 17-May-13 16:37:47

Spill gin?

Nope

No understand.

BIWI Fri 17-May-13 16:47:12

Too much of a risk, Knotty.

Can't remember if I have said this before, but I really can't stand gin! <ducks>

BIWI Fri 17-May-13 18:23:26

You're just not trying hard enough, Glaikit

Nah, too perfumey and I don't like tonic, I'm a whisky girl, or bourbon!

Hello. I decided to be brave and have attempted to crochet a fish square for Trinity. I've done it but it's a bit wavy. I hope it'll sew up OK. I'm going to put a picture on my profile.

tribpot Fri 17-May-13 21:07:44

I love the fish square, EllenJanes! That is fab.

KnottyLocks Fri 17-May-13 21:26:22

Ellen, that is fabulous smile

Don't worry about the waviness, we'll sort that out.

Thanks! Inspired now and I'm trying a crocheted crocodile to appliqué on to a plain square that I found on Ravelry. Not sure if I'm allowed to link to it but it's a free pattern by Nana Sue.

I've got a ripple pattern I could try.
don't know how to square it top and bottom byt I can work it out
(to make sea waves, see?)

I think there's a pattern on attic24 for the edge of a ripple?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now