Support thread for Woolly Hugs - summer (sort of) 2013

(429 Posts)
tribpot Thu 25-Apr-13 07:36:21

Our sympathies and thoughts are with daisydotandgertie, who lost her husband this month.

Woolly Hugs is now in action and this is the support and chat thread at which all are welcome - knitters, crocheters and donors. If you are a first time crafter please do have a go. There is bags of support and plain squares are just as important to our endeavour as fancy ones.

As flowers was one of the requested motifs, I'll just note there's a flowers section in the crafting guide. I might try the posies pattern on this sock pattern. For Welsh (or at least Celtic) patterns, I did this for a previous blanket.

KnottyLocks Thu 25-Apr-13 07:48:45

Signing in.

Thanks for setting this up, Trib thanks

Signing in. Am awaiting my wool delivery and will do my best and neatest work! grin

I think I may get at least four squares out of the wool and may attempt a stripey one of both colours.

McKayz Thu 25-Apr-13 07:53:50

Signing in. My wool has been dispatched so hoping it'll come today.

HairyPotter Thu 25-Apr-13 07:54:10

Hello, I'm here. thanks Trib.

Any free delivery codes knocking about? I'm ordering the attic 24 pack as well as yarn for this, so it would come in handy.

I went to my first crochet class last night which was not a success grin but I think I'll knit for this blanket.

MrsDeVere Thu 25-Apr-13 08:17:51

Hi. I can do some granny squares. I have some wool.

MrsDeVere Thu 25-Apr-13 08:18:14

(I also want that Attic 24 pack a very lot)

HairyPotter Thu 25-Apr-13 08:22:36

It looks amazing doesn't it? I am determined to make her gorgeous ripple blanket for my next Billie's Hug. The first one is almost finished, hence the need for crochet classes to learn to hook it together.

I can see me ending up sending the squares and pleading for Pistey to do it for me again It was really hard <wails>

Knitting on the train trib! I have offered to do loose flowers for this one - think sweet peas, roses, daffodils and daisies.

Oh and Hairy I have started crocheting recently too. Have a look at YouTube it really helped. I found that it suddenly 'clicked'. Good luck

HairyPotter Thu 25-Apr-13 08:45:20

I have been you tubing it clearly a word but it hasn't gone too well. I think the problem was it was an American site and they use different terms. I think last night did help, I sort of know what I'm aiming for and can recognise the stitches.

I'm torn between all the 3 projects I'm working on. Would never have imagined that when I started a year ago. grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 25-Apr-13 09:09:19

Morning, checking in brew

Thanks trib thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 25-Apr-13 09:10:48

I'm wondering if anyone can find or do a spotty square?

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 25-Apr-13 09:12:42
crispsarenotoneofyour5aday Thu 25-Apr-13 09:23:43

Tribpot, I have found a pattern for a Welsh Dragon so though I might give that a go but would it be OK for the dragon to be red on a cream and pale green background? Doesn't fit with the colour scheme but Welsh Dragons are always red...

HoggyTruffle Thu 25-Apr-13 09:42:07

I thought a bobble pattern could be used for a spotty square. I have Jan Eaton's books (200 crochet and knitting blocks) and there are a few examples in there. I might do a plain square to be decorated with the loose flowers being donated.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 25-Apr-13 09:49:20

crispsarenotoneofyour5aday Lovely square for Daisy, with regards to the red, Knotty and I are just finding a good shade to use as a highlight for this blanket for roses etc. So can you just hold on for a little bit and we will send some of it to you? If you PM me your address then I'll do it as soon as poss.

droitwich - can we add a request? You did a lovely rose for Giraffes, would you do a red rose square for Daisy? Same again, I'll send you the red, then we will know it all ties in. Red can be so tricky.

Hoggy - bobbles will be brill smile thanks

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Thu 25-Apr-13 10:38:31

signing in

spots and stripes can be done by texture as well as colour. Bobbles sound great!

Yes, I thought a bobble for the spotted square.

there's a lovely one in the 100 bright and colourful crochet squares book that makes bobbles into a heart.
It's also got a fab mitred corner that has stripes

Woolfey Thu 25-Apr-13 12:41:07

I was also thinking about bobbles. Great minds think alike smile
There is a striped bobbled square in Jan Eaton's crochet blocks book which I think I might do instead of a flower one.

Woolfey Thu 25-Apr-13 12:44:23

Unique - that lovely bobble heart pattern has just been issued free on the Deramores website. I was thinking of using it for a Little hug or Billies blanket.

Of course Pistey. If you are sending me the red can I change my mind and have some yellow as well please? I looked at my stash again and it might not stretch after all.
Ta x

LizaRose Thu 25-Apr-13 13:12:20

I would like to contribute. My skills are not great, so fairly plain squares only.

<plonks bum down>

LackaDAISYcal Thu 25-Apr-13 14:22:09

Budges up next to Glaikit smile

Nice to see y'all again after a knitting break (poor swollen joints) but sad that it's needed. My thoughts are with daisy's family xx

Ordered some squooshy smooshy Debbie Bliss this morning. There are some lovely new shades out there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now