Woolly Hugs...A Blanket for Daisydotandgertie : Lovely donors and crafters, we need your help.

(445 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 23-Apr-13 16:33:27

I'm afraid we bring very sad news. Daisydotandgertie's beloved husband died earlier this month, he had been suffering from cancer. She says her heart is utterly broken. Such devastating news, we are so sorry that life has been so cruel. Our love and thoughts are with her and their family.

We have offered to make Daisy a blanket, she says she was stunned by the offer, and we are delighted to say she has accepted. She sends a million thank yous. Bless her heart. We hope Daisy will feel the love and support surrounding her and that her Woolly Hug will give whatever comfort it can.

There is no separate thread, Daisy has been posting in a very supportive thread for Mumsnetters whose husbands have cancer. Love and strength to them all X

So we are asking for help once again sad thanks

We will need crocheters, knitters and donors (of funds or wool) I will co ordinate and Knotty (KnottyLocks) will help you with any queries you may have. If you would like to be involved in any way, please post on this thread and PM me with your offers: crafting, donating, need wool, etc, I can help you with all of it. Sincere heartfelt thanks. thanks

The wool we are using
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, not the baby cash
* Rowan Cashsoft DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK
* Artesano Superwash Merino DK
* James C. Brett Pure Merino DK (introducing this time)

Just from these please as they are very similar and we know they can be combined for wash and wear. These are all easily available online, try Deramores, Laughing Hens, JKMWools, AWoollyTail, WiseBadger.

Please choose from the following colours.....
Silvers, blues inc. navy, lighter and brighter greens, please NO khaki, warmer purples, cream. If choosing cream, please go for the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK 013.
Pinks but only for flower embellishments please, see below.
There is support for buying colours on our website, here.

Suggestions for personalisations and motifs
Flowers - MrD was a horticulturalist, he loved all flowers, particularly spring flowers, sweet peas and roses.
Spots and stripes - Daisy says her DH loved these.
Initials - please PM if you are interested in this, we also have a date to do.
_Welsh symbols/themes He was born in Wales, so it's a place very dear.

Please use 4mm knitting needles or hook. Squares to be six inches, simple or complex, made by beginner or expert, we genuinely welcome them all. It really is the love and thought that counts.

If looking for ideas for a pattern, there are many linked to from our website under Crafting

Previous blankets can be seen on our website We also have a Facebook page MNWoollyHugs and are on Twitter @MNWoollyHugs. If you 'like' or 'follow' us you'll be updated on progress via your feed.

When ready for posting, please PM me for info. Postage has gone up dramatically due to a change in the boundaries, so we will be thinking and hopefully be able to be helpful and give advice.

So very sad that another blanket is needed. Sending love to Daisy and their family and thinking of MrD.

As always, we thank you so much for your support.
Pistey and Knotty
thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 03-Nov-13 17:12:11

Just popping on to say that lovely Daisy now has her Woolly Hug, bless her heart, it was certainly made and sent with love. X

There are photos of the finished blanket here on the website and there is a very moving thank you message from Daisy here

Huge thanks to all those who contributed, donors and crafters alike thanks

Daisy lovely, we are thinking of you and your beloved Mr D, sending so much love X

thanksthanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 24-Jul-13 08:22:49

Morning smile brew

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 16-Jul-13 07:50:34

Morning wine

grin

Lovely SDTG - I am on my way to you thanks

I have two squares ready to post, but I have lost the address to send them to - could you give it to me again, please, Pistey?

MrsShrek3 Mon 15-Jul-13 22:24:42

pistey, do you wine afternoon and eening? envy grin grin grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 15-Jul-13 15:05:44

Afternoon wine smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 09-Jul-13 18:28:56

Evening wine

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Beautiful woolly treasure today, and it is very lovely indeed. Huge thanks to the crafters for all you do, there is love in every stitch X thanks

thanks RoguePixie Two beautiful striped knits in blues, absolutely gorgeous [star]

thanks ThePigofHappiness Gorgeous knit and crochet,including a lovely purple flower on green, just lovely [star]

Thank you both so much thanks

Jacksmania Tue 09-Jul-13 07:36:04

(((((((((((*Daisy*))))))))))))

Yyyyy to support thread if you feel up to it - I lurk post at odd hours, being quite far away. If you're ever up in the night and need an ear or a shoulder.

KnottyLocks Tue 09-Jul-13 07:19:38

Sending strength and love, Daisy x

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 09-Jul-13 07:19:27

Morning daisy, more huge hugs from me too, thinking of you here, sending much love Xx

Morning MrsS too obv X

MrsShrek3 Tue 09-Jul-13 05:16:42

huge hugs daisy. (turns up to hand hold)
have you got a thread anywhere atm Daisy, or would you wander back in to the sipport thread if I send you a link? ((hugs)), you sound like you really need them sad

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 07-Jul-13 08:10:08

Oh lovely daisy, big hugs for you Xx

Dutchoma Fri 28-Jun-13 13:38:47

Oh Daisy my love. What a day for you. I didn't do any squares for your hugs, but send best wishes and a <hug> to get through the day.

The mini hugs have arrived - and are so, so beautiful. Such skillful work and so much time and effort in them both.

By a frightening co-incidence they arrived on what would have been MrDs birthday; an awful, awful day made a little bit better by my mini hugs. I haven't yet been brave enough to open the cards blush.

Thank you all. I am a bit broken today and possibly not making sense; I have just received notice to leave our house - I am really not ready to dismantle our life together - but my mini hugs are giving their special brand of comfort. A huge thank you from me.

Daisy xx

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 22-Jun-13 12:21:32

Afternoon smile
Just getting the mini hug ready to send to daisy with her cards.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 17-Jun-13 14:24:29

That is so kind, thank you, we can share that info and say if anyone would like a copy to email us, and then if you email us a PDF of it when you get it, we can send it out.

Thank you X

MrsPennyapple Mon 17-Jun-13 14:01:59

Pistey My mum has been in touch and said the pattern was from Golden Hands All You Can Knit and Crochet for Babies, it's a 1970s publication, and the shawl / blanket was on page 36. This is what the booklet looks like.

She has said she will scan in the pattern and email it to me so I will be able to supply a copy if needed, although I don't have it just yet.

MrsPennyapple Sun 16-Jun-13 08:18:25

Of course I will. It's an ancient one I think, but I'll get the details from her.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 16-Jun-13 08:11:22

Thanks lovely smile

We have had requests for the pattern your mum used for her beautiful Angel Hug, could you ask her for us? thanks

MrsPennyapple Sun 16-Jun-13 08:09:59

Glad it's arrived safely smile (My blue square was stocking stitch though - although I guess you could call whichever side you like best the "right" side!)

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 15-Jun-13 10:58:23

Morning, morning, morning smile brew

Beautiful woolly treasure has arrived, and it is so very lovely. Such a lot of thought has gone in, and there is love crafted in to every stitch for sure. Bless the crafters! thanks

thanks Soupy These really are so beautiful, two different crochet striped squares, beautiful, and the most lovely Welsh landscape, complete with sheep! Beautiful and so thoughtful, perfect [star]

thanks MrsPennyapple Just so lovely, a purl knit in a denim blue, so soft and snuggly, and two separate leaf embellishments, fabulous [star]

thanks CiderwithBuda Gorgeosu and super snuggly, a duck egg blue garter knit square, just lovely [star]

Huge thanks, you really are all stars X

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 12-Jun-13 15:54:22

Afternoon lovely woolly folk smile brew

Beautiful treasure has just arrived, and it is so lovely. Huge thanks to the crafters for what they do, we are in awe thanks

thanks BIWI A beautiful purl knit in a gorgeous purple, just super [star]

thanks Pidj Completely gorgeous, a blue granny with a white and green daisy, absolutely super [star]

thanks Vajazzler Beautiful solid grannies in duck egg blue and purple, absolutely lovely [star]

smile

Thank you doesn't seem enough, but THANK YOU, you really are stars X thanks

KnottyLocks Tue 11-Jun-13 22:26:49

smile

Sending much love, Daisy x

Thank you so much for popping in thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 11-Jun-13 21:16:20

Oh big hugs Daisy, much love to you Xx

BIWI Tue 11-Jun-13 17:55:22

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now