Woolly Hugs...A Blanket for Daisydotandgertie : Lovely donors and crafters, we need your help.

(445 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 23-Apr-13 16:33:27

I'm afraid we bring very sad news. Daisydotandgertie's beloved husband died earlier this month, he had been suffering from cancer. She says her heart is utterly broken. Such devastating news, we are so sorry that life has been so cruel. Our love and thoughts are with her and their family.

We have offered to make Daisy a blanket, she says she was stunned by the offer, and we are delighted to say she has accepted. She sends a million thank yous. Bless her heart. We hope Daisy will feel the love and support surrounding her and that her Woolly Hug will give whatever comfort it can.

There is no separate thread, Daisy has been posting in a very supportive thread for Mumsnetters whose husbands have cancer. Love and strength to them all X

So we are asking for help once again sad thanks

We will need crocheters, knitters and donors (of funds or wool) I will co ordinate and Knotty (KnottyLocks) will help you with any queries you may have. If you would like to be involved in any way, please post on this thread and PM me with your offers: crafting, donating, need wool, etc, I can help you with all of it. Sincere heartfelt thanks. thanks

The wool we are using
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, not the baby cash
* Rowan Cashsoft DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK
* Artesano Superwash Merino DK
* James C. Brett Pure Merino DK (introducing this time)

Just from these please as they are very similar and we know they can be combined for wash and wear. These are all easily available online, try Deramores, Laughing Hens, JKMWools, AWoollyTail, WiseBadger.

Please choose from the following colours.....
Silvers, blues inc. navy, lighter and brighter greens, please NO khaki, warmer purples, cream. If choosing cream, please go for the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK 013.
Pinks but only for flower embellishments please, see below.
There is support for buying colours on our website, here.

Suggestions for personalisations and motifs
Flowers - MrD was a horticulturalist, he loved all flowers, particularly spring flowers, sweet peas and roses.
Spots and stripes - Daisy says her DH loved these.
Initials - please PM if you are interested in this, we also have a date to do.
_Welsh symbols/themes He was born in Wales, so it's a place very dear.

Please use 4mm knitting needles or hook. Squares to be six inches, simple or complex, made by beginner or expert, we genuinely welcome them all. It really is the love and thought that counts.

If looking for ideas for a pattern, there are many linked to from our website under Crafting

Previous blankets can be seen on our website We also have a Facebook page MNWoollyHugs and are on Twitter @MNWoollyHugs. If you 'like' or 'follow' us you'll be updated on progress via your feed.

When ready for posting, please PM me for info. Postage has gone up dramatically due to a change in the boundaries, so we will be thinking and hopefully be able to be helpful and give advice.

So very sad that another blanket is needed. Sending love to Daisy and their family and thinking of MrD.

As always, we thank you so much for your support.
Pistey and Knotty
thanks

PastaBeeandCheese Mon 27-May-13 11:50:11

See, I'd prefer an owl knotty just like in Harry Potter. If I was half way decent at knitting I'd make woolly, owl sized jackets for their journeys.

KnottyLocks Mon 27-May-13 13:45:27

Tanktops would work on owls <ponders>

PastaBeeandCheese Mon 27-May-13 16:52:53

I think S&B ladies would suggest gilets. That could work too.

NomDeClavier Mon 27-May-13 16:58:17

I am appalling and forgetful. I will post tomorrow for this one and TeamSurvival and an Angel Hug.

<grovels>

How would the do the zips though pastabee?

Nom, I'm sure you'll be ok, bank holiday here, will take a week for the post office to catch up with itself!

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 28-May-13 17:36:19

Afternoon all brew

A horrid wet and rainy day has been brightened enormously by the arrival of a small mountain of beautiful woolly treasure. Such pleasure opening it all, just so lovely, what a privilege.

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Huge thanks to all crafters for all your time and care, there is love crafted in to every stitch for sure X thanks

thanks WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes Such beautiful crochet, a 3D daffodil square, just perfect [star]

thanks StopEatingThatMud Beautiful teal and silver granny striped crochet, perfect [star]

thanks PastaBeeandCheese Two lovely colourful grannies in blue, silver cream and green, really gorgeous [star]

thanks Unnamed Please someone PM and claim these! I have my thoughts and I have initials and a postcode, but am not sure! They are absolutely lovely, two crochet squares, one blue and cream stripes, the other shades of blue flower on an apple background. Beautiful [star]

thanks StellaMarie Two beautiful crocheted squares in plum and apple, just lovely, one a diagonal stripe [star]

thanks GoodbyeRubyTuesday Two gorgeous snuggly knits, a purl and a striped cable, absolutely lovely [star]

thanks Macarooned Just beautiful, silver and green striped crochet, perfect [star]

thanks Turningupsidedown Absolutely beautiful knits, two in daisy stitch, gorgeous texture, stripes and patterns too, just lovely [star]

thanks PiggyPlumPie In a soft green a gorgeous snuggly textured knit, just so lovely [star]

thanks coffeeandchocolateplease Four beautiful knits/crochet in cream and a soft blue, lovely granny, circle to square and lovely textures [star]

thanks TheWoollybacksWife Silver and blue crocheted square with heart design, absolutely lovely [star]

thanks PurpleFrog Beautiful crochet, a sheep on a Welsh mountain, gorgeous pink flower square, and a lovely labrador knit design in silver - perfect [star]

thanks schooldidi Absolutely gorgeous, a 3D flower crocheted square in blues and some lovely stripes in bobbles, also a selection of fabulous flower and leaf embellishments [star]

thanks JulesJules Beautiful knits in blue and cream, one a silver Celtic knot, the other stripes in silver, cream and blue. Just lovely [star]

Wow!

You really are all stars, what a beautiful collection of squares for daisy, such thought and love. thanks

All cards will be sent within a couple of weeks to daisy, we just need to make sure we have them all first. Huge thanks to everyone, what an amazing response.

Thinking of Daisy

thanks

MNPin2013 Tue 28-May-13 19:09:27

Hi Piste.

Whoops sorry thought of that after I sent them.

The flower is an African design, I labelled the front side.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 29-May-13 06:39:22

yes you did smile bless you X I had a feeling it was you!! Such good news that they are unnamed no longer

thanks MNPin2013 Absolutely lovely, two crochet squares, one blue and cream stripes, the other shades of blue flower on an apple background - an African design.... Beautiful [star]

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 29-May-13 16:32:09

Afternoon all brew

Just beautiful, woolly treasure arriving safely today, huge thanks to all the crafters, you are an amazing bunch

thanks BirdStrike Two beautiful crocheted squares, one a granny, the other a solid granny with 3D flower, in burgundy plum, lovely [star]

thanks McKayz Just lovely, super snuggly denim blue knit, I think it is daisy stitch? Gorgeous [star]

thanks EasilyBored Not only a runner, but a knitter too! She has done some initials for us, beautifully so, on the same square, in blues and a lovely granny square too, just perfect [star]

Heartfelt thanks to all X

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 30-May-13 16:17:38

Afternoon wine smile

Beautiful squares arriving this morning, woolly treasure indeed! Huge thanks, there is love crafted in to every stitch X

thanks LizaRose Just beautiful, crochet in silver, blues, purple, pink including some separate flower embellishments. Absolutely super [star]

thanks Trumpton Just beautiful, an apple green tree that looks so difficult! And a lovely mitred corner diagonal knit. Awesome [star]

thanks Primrose123 A beautiful aqua blue, gorgeous crochet, love the daisy flowers, not seen this before is there a pattern we can link to?Plus beautiful wavy design is this the Catherine wheel pattern? Gorgeous, and a separate flower embellishment [star]

Heartfelt thanks to all, such a lot of time and care has gone into these. You are all stars X

Primrose123 Thu 30-May-13 18:55:15

Pistey, the daisy flowers square is this one but I had to change it a bit to make it six inches.

The wavy design is from this book which I've had for about 30 years!

Primrose123 Thu 30-May-13 19:03:19

The wavy design, or scallops is the same as this, except that this one is written in American terminology.

Trumpton Thu 30-May-13 20:20:48

The tree is from Nicky Epsteins book of blocks but I had to take the square smaller to make it fit the 6 inch. Apparently I have a fierce look of concentration on my face whilst knitting this pattern !

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 31-May-13 12:32:36

Afternoon all smile brew

My Postie has just been, and sends all her best wishes to everyone, bless her, she is rather fabulous. And she has brought woolly treasure, huge thanks to the crafters once more. There is love crafted in to every stitch. Just awesome X

thanks MinnieBar Absolutely gorgeous crochet in blue and cream, a striped bullseye pattern and 3D flower, gorgeous [star]

thanks Macdog Can't believe you are new to crochet, these are just beautiful, well done you! Three gorgeous green grannies [super]

thanks NomDeClavier A gorgeous apple and cream purl stripe, really fabulous [star]

Heartfelt thanks, you are all stars X

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 01-Jun-13 14:35:27

Afternoon all lovely Woolly Folk smile wine <-- Pimms

Beautiful woolly treasure has arrived, and some has had a long journey, so it is resting smile Huge thanks to the crafters, you really are rather fabulous you know? X

thanks Jacksmania Beautiful crochet in apple green, just lovely [star]

thanks PracticallyPerfectNot A very beautiful knit of striped rows of flowers, gorgeous [star] Thank you for the message too, we are on it!

thanks GhostsGoWoooh This is more thank just OK, tis lovely! A garter knit in a deep purple, gorgeous and super snuggly [star]

Huge thanks to you all, these are just beautiful X

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 04-Jun-13 17:27:50

Afternoon all smile

Beautiful woolly treasure has arrived safely and it really is gorgeous, huge thanks for all your time, love and care X thanks

thanks MrsDeVere Beautiful crocheted granny square in purple, and a lovely pink butterfly to go with all MrD's flowers, just perfect, absolutely lovely, [star]

thanks CrispsAreNotOnefYour5ADay A very lovely Welsh Dragon knit, so difficult, just lovely, [star]

Thank you X

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 05-Jun-13 20:26:33

Evening all lovely folk wine

Such beautiful woolly treasure has arrived safely, heartfelt thanks to the crafters for their time, love and care, these are just perfect. thanks

thanks Theodora Two absolutely gorgeous crochet squares, so difficult! One a gorgeous cream 3D daisy on pale blue and the other a friendship knot. Lovely [star]

thanks Rootle Two gorgeous garter knits squares, so soft and snuggly, a warm purple, smashing [star]

Thank you both so much X thanks

Ah brilliant. Im glad you got it ok. I enjoyed knitting the square and the wool was so lovely to work with, very soft and easy to knit.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 07-Jun-13 15:49:06

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Afternoon all smile brew

Beautiful woolly treasure arriving this morning, huge thanks tis so very lovely X

thanks HairyPotter Two beautiful knits - one in cream, one in navy, a watering can design and a heart. Just perfect [star]

Thank you lovely X

I am so excited about my blanket smile.

I have been peeking at this thread and the support one for ages and keep being overwhelmed by the incredible amount of thought, effort, skill, support and love that is going into the blanket. You're right; it is a lot like a wooly, loving hug.

Thank you all so muchsmile

Daisy

BIWI Tue 11-Jun-13 17:55:22

smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 11-Jun-13 21:16:20

Oh big hugs Daisy, much love to you Xx

KnottyLocks Tue 11-Jun-13 22:26:49

smile

Sending much love, Daisy x

Thank you so much for popping in thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 12-Jun-13 15:54:22

Afternoon lovely woolly folk smile brew

Beautiful treasure has just arrived, and it is so lovely. Huge thanks to the crafters for what they do, we are in awe thanks

thanks BIWI A beautiful purl knit in a gorgeous purple, just super [star]

thanks Pidj Completely gorgeous, a blue granny with a white and green daisy, absolutely super [star]

thanks Vajazzler Beautiful solid grannies in duck egg blue and purple, absolutely lovely [star]

smile

Thank you doesn't seem enough, but THANK YOU, you really are stars X thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 15-Jun-13 10:58:23

Morning, morning, morning smile brew

Beautiful woolly treasure has arrived, and it is so very lovely. Such a lot of thought has gone in, and there is love crafted in to every stitch for sure. Bless the crafters! thanks

thanks Soupy These really are so beautiful, two different crochet striped squares, beautiful, and the most lovely Welsh landscape, complete with sheep! Beautiful and so thoughtful, perfect [star]

thanks MrsPennyapple Just so lovely, a purl knit in a denim blue, so soft and snuggly, and two separate leaf embellishments, fabulous [star]

thanks CiderwithBuda Gorgeosu and super snuggly, a duck egg blue garter knit square, just lovely [star]

Huge thanks, you really are all stars X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now