Woolly Hugs...A Blanket for Daisydotandgertie : Lovely donors and crafters, we need your help.

(445 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 23-Apr-13 16:33:27

I'm afraid we bring very sad news. Daisydotandgertie's beloved husband died earlier this month, he had been suffering from cancer. She says her heart is utterly broken. Such devastating news, we are so sorry that life has been so cruel. Our love and thoughts are with her and their family.

We have offered to make Daisy a blanket, she says she was stunned by the offer, and we are delighted to say she has accepted. She sends a million thank yous. Bless her heart. We hope Daisy will feel the love and support surrounding her and that her Woolly Hug will give whatever comfort it can.

There is no separate thread, Daisy has been posting in a very supportive thread for Mumsnetters whose husbands have cancer. Love and strength to them all X

So we are asking for help once again sad thanks

We will need crocheters, knitters and donors (of funds or wool) I will co ordinate and Knotty (KnottyLocks) will help you with any queries you may have. If you would like to be involved in any way, please post on this thread and PM me with your offers: crafting, donating, need wool, etc, I can help you with all of it. Sincere heartfelt thanks. thanks

The wool we are using
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, not the baby cash
* Rowan Cashsoft DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK
* Artesano Superwash Merino DK
* James C. Brett Pure Merino DK (introducing this time)

Just from these please as they are very similar and we know they can be combined for wash and wear. These are all easily available online, try Deramores, Laughing Hens, JKMWools, AWoollyTail, WiseBadger.

Please choose from the following colours.....
Silvers, blues inc. navy, lighter and brighter greens, please NO khaki, warmer purples, cream. If choosing cream, please go for the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK 013.
Pinks but only for flower embellishments please, see below.
There is support for buying colours on our website, here.

Suggestions for personalisations and motifs
Flowers - MrD was a horticulturalist, he loved all flowers, particularly spring flowers, sweet peas and roses.
Spots and stripes - Daisy says her DH loved these.
Initials - please PM if you are interested in this, we also have a date to do.
_Welsh symbols/themes He was born in Wales, so it's a place very dear.

Please use 4mm knitting needles or hook. Squares to be six inches, simple or complex, made by beginner or expert, we genuinely welcome them all. It really is the love and thought that counts.

If looking for ideas for a pattern, there are many linked to from our website under Crafting

Previous blankets can be seen on our website We also have a Facebook page MNWoollyHugs and are on Twitter @MNWoollyHugs. If you 'like' or 'follow' us you'll be updated on progress via your feed.

When ready for posting, please PM me for info. Postage has gone up dramatically due to a change in the boundaries, so we will be thinking and hopefully be able to be helpful and give advice.

So very sad that another blanket is needed. Sending love to Daisy and their family and thinking of MrD.

As always, we thank you so much for your support.
Pistey and Knotty
thanks

ILoveWoollyStuff Thu 09-May-13 19:09:53

I'm pleased they arrived safely. They provided welcome relief from edging big sister's mammoth circular blanket. (Wedding present). Seemed a good idea at the time grin

Hi pistey, I pm'd you earlier today but not sure if you'll of had a chance to see it yet.

Just wondered if there was any joy on the donor front, if not I've just been paid so I might be able to stretch to a ball if I can find the ones we're using here locally.

Not sure if you've set a last posting date yet, I hope I'm not too late?

I think the target date for this one is 25 May so there is still time stopeatingthatmud

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 09-May-13 23:03:21

StopEating - you have a PM from me thanks

Yes, the last posting for daisy is to be Saturday 25th May

Huge thanks to all thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 10-May-13 17:04:35

Afternoon all smile

Beautiful woolly treasure has arrived safely, huge thanks to the generosity and fabulousness of our lovely crafters thanks

thanks Flootshoot Beautiful apple green and denim blue crochet, lovely flowers and leaves, love the bluebells [star]

thanks BeerTricksPotter Beautiful blue garter and purl knits, super snuggly, just lovely [star]

thanks WhereAreMyShoes Green and turquoise crochet, absolutely lovely, stripes and textures, [star]

Heartfelt thanks, these are just lovely. All cards will be looked after until the close of the project when we will send them on to daisy.

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

I'm glad they arrived smile

thanks for your help and advice.

A little gesture across the internet to Daisy, whose help and advice on all things Labrador has been greatly appreciated by me over the last 3 years. x

MOSagain Fri 10-May-13 18:49:29

hello, Pistey just checking you found my two squares for Daisy's blanket which were in with my Little Hug squares?

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 11-May-13 14:05:48

I have now lovely MOS, sorry didn't want to open all the squares, but I have now X

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 11-May-13 14:18:12

Beautiful woolly treasure has arrived for Daisy, huge thanks to the crafters thanks There is love crafted in, these are just lovely.

thanks MOSAgain Two absolutely lovely blue garter knits, one two shades of blue in stripes, the other a dark blue with pale blue flower embellishment, super [star]

thanks blizy Two absolutely gorgeous apple green crochet squares, one a granny, the other a solid granny and two gorgeous pink and green flower embellishments. Just so lovely [star]

Heartfelt thanks to you both X thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

MOSagain Sat 11-May-13 16:31:10

grin
Am frantically trying to finish and get rid of stuff before DH realises just how much wool I have in my stash. It was all 'hidden' in the study but he is starting to clear things in there so need to find a new hiding place wink -maybe the washing machine, he'd NEVER look in there!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 11-May-13 19:43:10

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Another lovely donor to thank tonight, we are so grateful to you for your generosity, your woolly wool has arrived with your crafter, and we really appreciate it. thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

thanks goodjambadjar

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Am I too late to join in on this one? I'd love to knit a square or two, but I haven't got enough of the right colours, so if there were a bit of donor wool going spare, that would be very useful...

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 14-May-13 10:27:49

Not too late at all my lovely thanks I will pop some in the post to you later on today. Thank you X

You lovely lady - thanks! thanks

KnottyLocks Tue 14-May-13 14:47:15

MOS, suitcases could be the answer.

MOSagain Tue 14-May-13 17:00:14

ah yes, he'd never look there, its always me that does the packing grin

KnottyLocks Tue 14-May-13 17:22:25

Works just like that in this house!

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 14-May-13 17:31:18

Funnily enough, same here

Haha. DH does his own packing after my cock-up just after we were married. We were staying with his mum for the weekend and I asked him what he needed me to pack. "Just a clean top for tomorrow" ... So all I packed was the top.

Not having PJs wasn't too much of a problem for us newly weds, but he was queuing outside Burton's at 9am the next morning for new undies and socks.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 15-May-13 07:47:12

Morning brew smile

BIWI Wed 15-May-13 08:24:42

Morning!

<casting off>

BIWI Wed 15-May-13 09:22:37

<casting on>

Lovely purple wool for Daisy's blanket.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 15-May-13 11:12:18

Thanks BIWI X

BIWI Wed 15-May-13 12:39:41

Oh. Splitty wool though.

<knits slowly with tongue sticking out to aid concentration>

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 15-May-13 12:50:48

attractive image there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now