Woolly Hugs: Little Hugs. Crafting away.

(311 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 19-Feb-13 13:10:04

A new thread as we've managed to fill up two already smile

The project launch thread can be found here

The second thread is here

This is an ongoing project so Little Hugs can be made and sent to us at anytime. We will suggest posting dates from time to time to collect batches for sending off to Yorkhill Hospital.

Photographs of our Little Hugs can be found on our Woolly Hugs website and on our Facebook page, MNWoollyHugs.

The basic aim is to provide little blankets and quilts that give comfort to babies and small children who are seriously ill in hospital.

This is the continuation of Phase 1 of the project.

How you can get involved:

You can help by either making a complete Little Hug
Or
By making 6" squares using Stylecraft Special DK yarn or Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, Rowan Cashsoft DK and Sublime Extra Fine Merino wool DK

For all of the Little Hugs:

Minimum size: 18 inches by 18 inches
For example, that's 3x3 6 inch squares with a small edge.
If you would like to make a blanket or quilt that is bigger, that would be lovely too.

Colours: Your choice!
We'd like to be able to provide a range of Little Hugs suitable for boys and girls.
If you would like to make something specifically for a boy or girl, that would also be lovely.

Things to avoid:
Buttons
Sequins and beads
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.
If using applique, it needs to be firmly stitched on with no hard edges.

Materials and ideas:
Woolly Blankets:
Suggested yarn: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic that is a very reasonable £1.60 - £2 for 100g ball.
Pure cotton DK
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight yarn and a yarn other than those above. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be machine washed.

Quilts and stitched blankets:
Pure cotton and good quality fleece. The cotton can be from recycled sources.
We suggest that you wash both separately before sewing to allow for any difference in shrinkage.
Ideas:
Traditional style quilts, from simple square designs to more complex patterns
Cotton edged fleeces, with or without appliqué
Quilt and fleece combination: quilted front with a fleece back

Donors:
If you would like to contribute towards materials, you can either donate via Paypal here on our Woolly Hugs website with a message letting us know which project you are donating to. If you do not have Paypal, please PM RatherBeOnThePiste as we have other ways that you can donate.
Without our donors, our projects really wouldn't happen. You are as vital to them as the crafters and materials. Bless you.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. You are all complete stars thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 20-Mar-13 07:59:08

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Five beautiful knitted Little Hugs for Yorkhill arriving from the very lovely Rubycon. A huge thank you to her thanks

Photos already in the FB album, do go and check them out.

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

AnitaManeater Wed 20-Mar-13 17:55:15

Still trying to get to the post office! The queue is always hideous as I can only get there at school run time, have wimped out the last couple of days as DS2 is being particuarly manic at the moment lol

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 21-Mar-13 09:03:42

You have my sympathies with Post Office queues!

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 21-Mar-13 09:07:03

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

From the very lovely Jacksmania, and all the way from the West coast of Canada, a beautiful crocheted Little Hug for a child in Yorkhill Hospital in Glasgow. How amazing is that? Photos already on FB.
Thank you thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Jacksmania Thu 21-Mar-13 14:54:17

grin grin grin grin :

qazxc Thu 21-Mar-13 18:25:28

Posted off this afternoon. fx it gets there ok.

MinnieBar Sat 23-Mar-13 18:15:18

Right, I've done 8 out of 9 squares for my hug and now I'm tweaking those to try and get them to an even vaguely similar size as each other… yes, yes I can hear Pistey and Knotty rolling on the floor with laughter shrieking 'karma!!!!' at each other - grin

Sooooo, I have a knitted square that's a bit too wide. What's my best option:
1. Tink it and start over
2. Fold over and sew down the excess
3. Have one randomly large edge

I'm ok about tinking and restarting as it's one I did ages ago, I'm just aware of the deadline that's been and gone…

KnottyLocks Sat 23-Mar-13 19:36:48

Ah, but Minnie, this is an ongoing project smile

Are you putting the blanket together yourself, or would you like us to?

KnottyLocks Sat 23-Mar-13 19:39:06

If you are hooking it, you can probably get away with it being a wee bit bigger than the others and adjust while hooking together . Wiggleability innit grin

MinnieBar Sat 23-Mar-13 21:19:18

It's more than a wee bit bigger… about an inch, and there's not much room to hide it on a Little Hug!

Don't worry, I'm going to hook it together myself, now that I'm an expert wink

MOSagain Sun 24-Mar-13 18:23:08

Last square for Billie's blanket will hopefully be finished tonight and then back to Little Hugs.
Want to steer away from baby blues and pinks so was going to do teal/peacock and amethyst. Knotty/Pistey, do you think this would look ok?

<goes to google 'wiggleability'>

weegiemum Tue 26-Mar-13 08:59:53

I'm reading this and posting as I'm currently sitting in the SGH in Glasgow, on a (monthly, regular, nothing to worry about) drip.

I'm disabled - my hands, as well as my legs, don't work too well, they're numb due to a neurological illness. Yesterday, my Occupational Therapist suggested that I'm ready for knitting again (a year ago I couldn't hold a fork, feed myself, do buttons, write). Last week I sewed a Brownie Badge on for my dd2. So I'm feeling confident. And it's poignant as it was the Agility badge which my dd2 just earned after being cared for by Yorkhill for a hip problem for 5 years. In also love Yorkhill as I'm a personal friend of expat.

So ... I'm asking! I'd like to knit. But my squares might not be perfect to start with (before my illness I could knit Aran and Fair Isle!). Are a wee bit wonky squares ok till I get up to speed, or should I practice a bit first?

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 26-Mar-13 09:14:48

Such good news that you are feeling confident and up for this Weegie, we are so glad to have you with us, welcome, and well done to your DD, that's fabulous too. Another big cheer for Yorkhill. smile

For us it is genuinely all about the love and thought that goes into squares and blankets, makes them very special indeed, that's their heart. So yes please, and don't say 'wonky' say 'characterful' smile and we'd love to have them!

Have you seen us on FB MNWoollyHugs? We post pictures of blankets as they arrive, and joint blankets as they are made.

Hopefully all the info you need is in Knotty's OP, but we are very glad to have you on board X

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 26-Mar-13 09:17:16

Soz MOS, what woolly wool are we talking? Is this DB? I need to look, but really you need Knots, she is much better at this.

Off to the post office ... grin

MOSagain Tue 26-Mar-13 10:23:57

hurrah for BIWI the last inch is the hardest grin

Pistey have got DB teal/peacock and amethyst which I think look ok together (came highly recommended by Podd I think) will crack on in those two colours then decide if need a third.

weegiemum I am famous for my wobbly arsed squares grin Pistey and knotty were constantly assuring me its the love that goes into them that counts, I'm sure your squares will be beautiful, so glad you feel you can knit again x

KnottyLocks Tue 26-Mar-13 21:23:24

Oi, MOS! What colour codes are them there yarns?

KnottyLocks Tue 26-Mar-13 21:24:59

If you fancy adding a third colour, something silvery would probably work nicely.

CamperWidow Wed 27-Mar-13 08:46:32

Weegie, my first squares were such random sizes I was sure they would be rejected or turned into a 'frankenstein-esque' blanket that would be the booby prize. Not only was I reassured they were lovely and perfect in their 'characterfullness', but also I have got better with the practice! I have finally finished my first blanket and just need to wait for payday now to send them all off.

MOSagain Wed 27-Mar-13 12:13:24

knotty teal is 019. Need to check amethyst.
Silver sounds interesting <goes off to look>

Am getting a bit worried about the amount of wool I've 'accidentally' purchases recently. Have about 2 bin bags full and its getting hard to hide blush

PurpleFrog Wed 27-Mar-13 12:35:56

Only 2 bin bags full? blush

I have just taken a large delivery from the Plastic Box Shop for 6 large lidded crates so that I can ditch some of my bin bags and hopefully be able to find fabric and yarn without tipping out 6 bin bags first!

Queenofknickers Wed 27-Mar-13 12:38:58

Have just found this thread and its inspired me to get my needles out! Practice square half done...smile

MOSagain Wed 27-Mar-13 17:03:26

purplefrog where do you hide it all?

PurpleFrog Thu 28-Mar-13 09:21:05

Hide? I can't hide it... unfortunately!

At the moment I have some stuff in bags in the loft and a lot of small crates and bags strewn about in the spare room. My plan is to get most of the stuff sorted out and the new large crates stacked neatly at one end of the loft. (The central part of our loft is properly floored with walls etc. - but is not technically a proper room because there is just a ladder and no door.)

I have washed out the new crates, so am hoping to get started on this over the weekend.

MOSagain Thu 28-Mar-13 15:20:13

your husband is far more understanding/tolerant than mine wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now