Woolly Hugs: Little Hugs. Crafting away.

(311 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 19-Feb-13 13:10:04

A new thread as we've managed to fill up two already smile

The project launch thread can be found here

The second thread is here

This is an ongoing project so Little Hugs can be made and sent to us at anytime. We will suggest posting dates from time to time to collect batches for sending off to Yorkhill Hospital.

Photographs of our Little Hugs can be found on our Woolly Hugs website and on our Facebook page, MNWoollyHugs.

The basic aim is to provide little blankets and quilts that give comfort to babies and small children who are seriously ill in hospital.

This is the continuation of Phase 1 of the project.

How you can get involved:

You can help by either making a complete Little Hug
Or
By making 6" squares using Stylecraft Special DK yarn or Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, Rowan Cashsoft DK and Sublime Extra Fine Merino wool DK

For all of the Little Hugs:

Minimum size: 18 inches by 18 inches
For example, that's 3x3 6 inch squares with a small edge.
If you would like to make a blanket or quilt that is bigger, that would be lovely too.

Colours: Your choice!
We'd like to be able to provide a range of Little Hugs suitable for boys and girls.
If you would like to make something specifically for a boy or girl, that would also be lovely.

Things to avoid:
Buttons
Sequins and beads
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.
If using applique, it needs to be firmly stitched on with no hard edges.

Materials and ideas:
Woolly Blankets:
Suggested yarn: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic that is a very reasonable £1.60 - £2 for 100g ball.
Pure cotton DK
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight yarn and a yarn other than those above. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be machine washed.

Quilts and stitched blankets:
Pure cotton and good quality fleece. The cotton can be from recycled sources.
We suggest that you wash both separately before sewing to allow for any difference in shrinkage.
Ideas:
Traditional style quilts, from simple square designs to more complex patterns
Cotton edged fleeces, with or without appliqué
Quilt and fleece combination: quilted front with a fleece back

Donors:
If you would like to contribute towards materials, you can either donate via Paypal here on our Woolly Hugs website with a message letting us know which project you are donating to. If you do not have Paypal, please PM RatherBeOnThePiste as we have other ways that you can donate.
Without our donors, our projects really wouldn't happen. You are as vital to them as the crafters and materials. Bless you.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. You are all complete stars thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 04-Mar-13 09:21:22

Morning all brew smile

Sunny and frosty here, but almost spring like <hopeful>

Just waiting for UPS to take the next batch of Little Hugs to Yorkhill. They are due between 9 and 3, so what time will they come I wonder?! Love, compassion and hope in abundance. that's for sure. Couldn't laugh at that, could you? FairyJen Your quilts will be perfect because they will have all of that crafted in. Tis all good. thanks

FairyJen Mon 04-Mar-13 09:29:14

Blood, sweat and tears is more apt for what's gone in my quilts grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 04-Mar-13 09:35:32

Tis OK Fairy, I can wash it before it goes grin

Camper no worries I will sort them out (probably over the weekend) and see what I have, then will PM you, no need to pay for postage just happy they can go to a good home.

CamperWidow Mon 04-Mar-13 11:30:50

Thanks Heels.
I have so many projects on the go! As well as my snuggly, I have nearly finished a special dolly for DD1 to swop for her dummies (we'll see how that goes!) as well as the interminable blanket for the Camper.
Actually, that's only three! Feels alot more! grin
How many things have you guys got going?

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 04-Mar-13 13:33:07

Hooray!

UPS have been, and the next batch of Little Hugs are on their way to Yorkhill

thanks

Yay!! Bye fizzy the dragon! Be good!

KnottyLocks Tue 05-Mar-13 08:02:06

Thanks everyone thanks

Your Little Hugs will help to make some lovely children and their families smile. Bless you.

VirtuousVamp Tue 05-Mar-13 12:56:27

Hello! Hope you don't mind me popping by.

Just received a unexpected parcel from the postman. In which was the most beautiful quilt for my daughter. She had tears in her eyes as she said it was lovely. So thank you so much for bringing a much needed smile to our faces today.

with all our love and thanks
smilethanks

KnottyLocks Tue 05-Mar-13 13:45:50

Oh so very pleased that she likes it smile Thank you so much for popping by: it's always lovely to know a Little Hug has arrived and has brought smiles and comfort.

Thinking of you all xxx

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 05-Mar-13 15:33:56

Oh I am so glad she has it, may it give her comfort and a hug from us all. Hope she is soon a lot better. Much love to her VV, much love to you all X

Good News.

The Little Hugs have been delivered safely to Yorkhill.
And breathe. smile
They have a job to do, and soon they will be busy.

Huge thanks once again to the crafters and donors who enable this all to happen. Real stars thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Ooh I didn't realise you were taking squares for Little Hugs. Once I've finished DD's ripple blanket I shall see what I can get out of my leftover Stylecraft and see if I can get some to you. Hopefully my skills will have improved since my squares for LemonTruffles.

Pistey/Knotty I hope this is ok to post this here. If not please let me know and I'll get my post deleted. Without wanting to take ANY time or attention away from the projects which are already being worked on, I get the odd email from the Kid Company, a London based charity. I got one today that I just thought might be of interest to some of you on the WH threads.

I will just copy and paste but will leave out the contact details so it's definitely not advertising etc, if anyone is interested then let me know / PM me I guess?

"THROW US YOUR THROWS / Therapeutic throws needed
Some of our most vulnerable and traumatised children find it hard to relax and regulate their emotions. We support these children in one-to-one therapy and with therapeutic groups. We currently need brightly coloured cushions, throws and blankets for an after-school emotional well-being group for 4-8 year olds. Ideally the donations would be in new or good-as-new condition."

Jacksmania Thu 07-Mar-13 15:55:59

Morning! wine

I mean, brew

grin

I started on a Little Hug on Monday smile

Meant to make a bunch of squares and then hook them together but the first square turned out way too big so then I started to go round it in different colours of yarn and different patterns. Just kind of making it up as I go along. I also meant to make it in shades of blue and green but then as I started to go around the edges it somehow developed a ruffled look hmm - so added pink and I think it will definitely be a girl's blanket. It's already nearly 18" x 18" - might be done some time next week!

Could someone PM me the address where I should post it to? Via air mail and registered this time (still fretting over my squares that haven't arrived yet, thank you very little Canada Post!).

nickelbabe Thu 07-Mar-13 17:11:53

I have in my hands (well, on the desk next to me) a receipt for postage of my Little Hug.
i have put a little something extra in the envelope, which I hope Pistey SFK will be able to make good use of smile

I hope my hug is okay. smile

nickelbabe Thu 07-Mar-13 17:12:29

ah, i didn't put what project - it's the normal little hugs, it's not big enough for the big ones.

KnottyLocks Fri 08-Mar-13 07:04:47

Thanks, Nickel. smile

We'll make sure that your lovely Little Hug is sent to the right place thanks

KnottyLocks Fri 08-Mar-13 07:06:26

Sounds fab, Jacks.

Will PM you the address if Pistey hasn't done so already.

KnottyLocks Fri 08-Mar-13 07:10:50

StopEatingTheMud, yes please to squares ! smile

Will have a look at the that charity. Thanks for that. Can't promise anything at the moment as we're pretty busy. Certainly one to think about though.

CamperWidow Fri 08-Mar-13 07:46:37

Ok, so I tried starting the bunny and got distracted/frustrated so I frogged it and did two more granny squares! grin

So that's a lovely total of 7 squares (of slightly different sizes hmm) waiting for hubby to post for me.

If you can you send me some more lovely donated snuggly stuff, I am detemined to do a whole blanket this time!!

Jacksmania Fri 08-Mar-13 17:32:48

Is there a pattern for crocheted flowers? I think I'd like to do some flowers and then sew or crochet them onto the centre square.

CamperWidow Fri 08-Mar-13 21:02:37

Check out ravelry.com.......loads of stuff on there!!!

Glasgow meet up thread if anyone fancies it!

Jacksmania Sat 09-Mar-13 16:27:38

I feel like a complete numpty - I signed up with Ravelry and was looking for flower patterns, found one I liked, clicked on it, then clicked on both "photo tutorial" and "written pattern" and both of them took me to many more patterns but no instructions! How do I get to instructions???

The photo tutorial and written pattern links, are they in grey boxes? If so they are just the tags for that apprentice. Un the free text bit underneath is the a link saying something like "open this for a ravelry Download"?

Jacksmania Sat 09-Mar-13 17:15:41

Hm... will have a look. Thanks thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now