Woolly Hugs: Little Hugs. Crafting away.

(311 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 19-Feb-13 13:10:04

A new thread as we've managed to fill up two already smile

The project launch thread can be found here

The second thread is here

This is an ongoing project so Little Hugs can be made and sent to us at anytime. We will suggest posting dates from time to time to collect batches for sending off to Yorkhill Hospital.

Photographs of our Little Hugs can be found on our Woolly Hugs website and on our Facebook page, MNWoollyHugs.

The basic aim is to provide little blankets and quilts that give comfort to babies and small children who are seriously ill in hospital.

This is the continuation of Phase 1 of the project.

How you can get involved:

You can help by either making a complete Little Hug
Or
By making 6" squares using Stylecraft Special DK yarn or Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, Rowan Cashsoft DK and Sublime Extra Fine Merino wool DK

For all of the Little Hugs:

Minimum size: 18 inches by 18 inches
For example, that's 3x3 6 inch squares with a small edge.
If you would like to make a blanket or quilt that is bigger, that would be lovely too.

Colours: Your choice!
We'd like to be able to provide a range of Little Hugs suitable for boys and girls.
If you would like to make something specifically for a boy or girl, that would also be lovely.

Things to avoid:
Buttons
Sequins and beads
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.
If using applique, it needs to be firmly stitched on with no hard edges.

Materials and ideas:
Woolly Blankets:
Suggested yarn: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic that is a very reasonable £1.60 - £2 for 100g ball.
Pure cotton DK
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight yarn and a yarn other than those above. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be machine washed.

Quilts and stitched blankets:
Pure cotton and good quality fleece. The cotton can be from recycled sources.
We suggest that you wash both separately before sewing to allow for any difference in shrinkage.
Ideas:
Traditional style quilts, from simple square designs to more complex patterns
Cotton edged fleeces, with or without appliqué
Quilt and fleece combination: quilted front with a fleece back

Donors:
If you would like to contribute towards materials, you can either donate via Paypal here on our Woolly Hugs website with a message letting us know which project you are donating to. If you do not have Paypal, please PM RatherBeOnThePiste as we have other ways that you can donate.
Without our donors, our projects really wouldn't happen. You are as vital to them as the crafters and materials. Bless you.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. You are all complete stars thanks

KnottyLocks Thu 11-Apr-13 09:10:12

Popping this back on my 'Threads' smile

JulesJules Sat 13-Apr-13 15:19:28

Hello everyone!

Do you think www.deramores.com/stylecraft-harlequin-chunky this chunky weight acrylic yarn would be suitable for a blanket?

It's multicoloured, so I'd either keep the pattern v simple (maybe st st with a moss stitch edge) or fairly simple pattern, eg wave stitch like this

Or is it a bit too chunky?

Thanks.

Oh, and does anyone have a formula for working out how much wool you need for a blanket?

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 15-Apr-13 14:32:48

Ooooooooo

er

um

I get Knots

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 15-Apr-13 14:36:58

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Beautifully sunny Little Hug arrived for Yorkhill from the very lovely NeitherShreddedNorSmug. <happy sigh>

A huge thank you to her, tis just lovely. thanksthanks

And...

Huge thanks to our lovely friends at St. Conval's Church in Linwood, and their woolly organiser Marie. They've been sending Marie squares and she has been making them into beautiful Little Hugs for Yorkhill, which is not so far from where they are.

Huge thanks to Marie, and huge thanks to all thanksthanks

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

KnottyLocks Mon 15-Apr-13 16:25:37

Hello! smile

Jules, that would make a lovely snuggly blanket.
Think you'll need a minimum of 4-5, possibly more as there's 100m to the ball.

poss pattern?

Depending on how big you want it obv.

As for a formula...er... you can work it out by knitting a test sq and weighing, measuring etc, if you're upsizing a pattern or creating one. Obv you need the wool to do that which is the downside (along with the faff)

I tend to just guess grin

<ever helpful>

MinnieBar Mon 15-Apr-13 17:53:26

I'm on what will hopefully be my last round of edging for my very late contribution to Billie's Blankets!

Er, for some reason it's not square. That's ok isn't it? <frets>

JulesJules Mon 15-Apr-13 18:43:02

Thank you! I've already ordered some of that wool. I only got 3 balls, so if it comes out too teeny, I'll just have to order more grin

I've started mine again - didn't like how it was turning out. Tis my first crochet one though!

KnottyLocks Mon 15-Apr-13 18:49:52

Minnie, they don't have to be square smile

Crack
On!

KnottyLocks Mon 15-Apr-13 18:50:57

Oooo, go Droitwich!

<pompoms>

Otherworld Tue 16-Apr-13 14:15:43

Just marking my spot. I have a Little Hug ready here to post. With an Angel Hug to accompany it. Planning to pack them up today and send to Pistey.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 16-Apr-13 15:30:32

You star. Thank you thanks

can i combine style craft with cashmerino?
it's just i made a flower with cashmerino and then was sent some stylecraft.
i don't want to waste my flower.

KnottyLocks Tue 16-Apr-13 21:47:02

Hello!

Generally, I wouldn't combine these two together when making a blanket because of the difference in shrinkage, texture and wear. However, using them as you intend to - stylecraft blanket with a cash flower stitched on - will be absolutely fine smile

cool, thank you for the reassurance.
smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 17-Apr-13 16:05:33

Afternoon brew smile

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

A beautiful Little Hug for Yorkhill arriving today from the very lovely PurpleCrazyHorse, just gorgeous, pic already on Facebook. thanks

PCH asked about sizing - Yorkhill really need as wide a variety of sized blankets as we have asked for our Billie's Blanket project, we just have a smaller minimum size for Yorkhill. thanks

PurpleCrazyHorse, your card will be kept safely for your Yorkhill family too. Huge thanks thanks

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Facelikeafriendlyapple Fri 19-Apr-13 14:33:14

Grr, just lost my post... But gist was:
1)this project is great 2) I can only knit squares but I'd love to do some of them and send them on to you. Is that ok?

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 19-Apr-13 15:30:37

More than OK, they would be very warmly welcomed indeed, all the details are in Knotty's OP. Huge thanks thanks

MOSagain Sun 21-Apr-13 07:30:30

Hello, just putting back on my threads I'm on.
facelikea I only do squares too but the lovely pistey and knotty turn them into something.wonderful. tis magic!

Hoping to finish the squares for my next hug this week

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 21-Apr-13 08:19:29

Morning brew smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 21-Apr-13 08:20:04

Thank you lovely MOS thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 24-Apr-13 17:20:36

Just set up a Little Hugs album for 2013 on Facebook, thought it might make them easier to look at if they were split.

Beautiful knitted Little Hugs for Yorkhill arriving today from Mrs V Baker, who is the very lovely Blanketeering Grandma of one of our Mumsnetters. A huge thank you to her X

Jacksmania Wed 24-Apr-13 20:21:15

Loving the "blanketeering grandma" grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 25-Apr-13 06:50:48

grin brew

JulesJules Sun 28-Apr-13 09:44:46

Have already tweeted this, so apols if people have already seen it - Deramores have a free pattern download for this crochet pattern for a bobble heart blanket
www.deramores.com/bobble-blanket-crochet-pattern/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=bobble_cal

Gorgeous. Wish I could crochet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now