Woolly Hugs does Running..... Running?? Yep, RUNNING!!

(971 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 31-Jan-13 19:48:37

Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

1) Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have done risk assessment>
2) Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.
3) Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.
4) Open front door and go outside shock
5) Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!!

If you haven't seen Phase 2 of our Little Hugs, the thread is HERE. We launched this phase as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday and we call the project Billie's Blankets in her memory. In her name, and through World Child Cancer, we will send little blankets to children, starting with Malawi and Bangladesh, who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after.

Alongside Billie's Blankets, we are very keen to send a donation to World Child Cancer, as money is scarce, they really have so little. One of the ways we will do this is by running! <faints> In May a Woolly Hugs' team will be running the BUPA London 10k, and we are now looking for runners to enter 5K runs throughout the country.

These are where the 5K runs will take place?.. They are all over!

There are already runners committed to running (BIWI, TantrumsandBalloons,me) in London at Crystal Palace on October 13th, and lovely Fizzy and PrettyBird are running in the Glasgow event on July 27th. We would love folk to join with us, or run at a different venue! There is no minimum age and children can be entered, my daughter is running with me, I say with, she will shoot off like a gazelle and I will lumber along. Happily the website says they love fancy dress <*Knotty*, this is time to contemplate something spectacular>

Because World Child Cancer isn't a nominated charity we/they ask that you let them know independently. To take pressure off individuals, and to make this a real woolly community effort we recommend that you use our Woolly Hugs Just Giving page for fundraising. Anything you raise will be marvellous, really, and we will all be able to see how much we can raise together.

Our Just Giving Page is HERE Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in.

So please have a think, if you are interested, we would recommend entering soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you have entered so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things <hazy> Couch to 5K apps and playlists for running spring to mind.

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support thanks

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

thanks

5madthings Fri 19-Apr-13 11:34:36

I didn't get out yesterday, was going to go this evening and let ds1 babysit bit merry is now puking everywhere...
I ran on Mon and wed and am doing the parkrun with meg tomorrow tho smile

Can I say meg is a star and helped clear up and mop the floor at toddlers after merry puked everywhere, she seemed a bit tired but I thought that was because she had her MMR yesterday and then the puke came out of nowhere so it must be a bug. Hope we haven't give it to everyone at toddlers!

Sorry to hear that 5mad - hope DD feels better soon.

Gold star with knobs on to meg grin

Enjoy your parkrun tomorrow. I'm hoping to do mine even though I will be last

5madthings Fri 19-Apr-13 18:45:51

Thankks shredded she has spent the day puking or sleeping sad has just been sick again and is now back asleep sad

I am hoping to do lark run in under 35mins as its my first time doing g an official run! Not looking forward to an early morning on the weekend tho!

Enjoy your parkrun shredded we can all compare times grin

EasilyBored Fri 19-Apr-13 21:04:13

Am feeling good tonight, ran 5.5k in 30 minutes. Could have gone further I think but was starving. I actually feel OK, bet my legs hurt tomorrow though!

Hope M feels better 5mad. I'm sure I'll be going out for a looooong run on Sunday after a weekend with mum! (Shouldn't say that since they're here to help us with new kitchen! But you know what I mean!)

EasilyBored Fri 19-Apr-13 21:04:39

Text me after your parkrun and let me know how it went! I've not been brave enough to try my local one yet!

5madthings Fri 19-Apr-13 21:09:55

Merry now in bed, she didn't want her milk so that solved that dilemma but she wouldn't drink any water either sad

Shall text you after the run. It starts at 9am, dear too early for a weekend but should be good.

Have a good weekend with mum and dad, and yes you will need a run! Get them to babysit!

5madthings Sat 20-Apr-13 08:06:37

Crap night with merry but am up and ready to run....

Go 5!

I'm home from mine. It was a glorious morning. I thought of you and meg on my way round grin.

5madthings Sat 20-Apr-13 10:31:11

Back home, meg and i did it in 31mins! It was lovely, the sun was out and i saw various people i know. A friend from my postnatal group with ds1 and also saw ds3's teacher. Was suprised how busy it was, will def go again smile

Well done 5 and meg!

The lady in front of me at the finish said ours was busier than usual - she said she usually finished in the 80's, but was 120 today. It was such a gorgeous morning to be out and about.

EarnestDullard Sat 20-Apr-13 11:51:02

It is indeed a lovely morning, I'm just back from a 5 mile run in the sun. Well done on the parkruns everyone smile

How is your DD feeling this morning 5mad?

5madthings Sat 20-Apr-13 11:56:43

She seems better this morning earnest not 100% but is eating and hasnt puked so far so must be a 24hr type thing? She still has a bit of a temp but is happy snuggled on the sofa and is drinking plenty, just keeping my fingers crossed the other madthings dont get it!

BIWI Sat 20-Apr-13 13:33:47

I'm a bit glum sad

I did my first 30 minute run (Week 9/Run1) on Monday, and my shins are still sore from it. My exercises at the gym (with my trainer) also made me aware that my shins are just not right. I don't really know what to do, to be honest, or if I can carry on with this. I don't want to risk shin splints/stress fractures.

Anyone any advice? It seems such a shame to have got this far but then to have to give up.

Blatherskite Sat 20-Apr-13 13:40:57

Oh BIWI sad Maybe take it easy for a week or so and then build up gradually again? Go back a week or two? Maybe it's just too much too soon?

Out Parkrun was really busy this morning too, it must be the sun! We had a record 400+ runners!! I took a whole minute off my PB and finished in 26:30 so am very pleased with myself - especially as I went straight from there to a core class shock

BIWI Sat 20-Apr-13 14:08:12

Oh well done!

Oh BIWI sorry to hear that sad. I think rest is all you can do.

Well done Blathers!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 21-Apr-13 08:26:45

Oh lovely BIWI. I don't know what to suggest. Big hugs. I'm trying to think.

MrsDeVere Mon 22-Apr-13 18:24:21

Hi all.

Just to remind you all to bother your friends and family to sponsor you. We need to step up the pester power in order to raise as much money as possible.

FB is a great way of linking to the woolly hugs just giving page

www.justgiving.com/WoollyHugs

Every penny count for this amazing cause. Our money really does go a long way. I have been amazed at what a few hundred quid can provide in countries like Malawi.

Keep up the good work. I can't tell you what it means to me.

5madthings Mon 22-Apr-13 20:52:07

I am.hastling and sharing, plus katie at world child cancer is sending me some paper forms and i can get all the school mums and toddler group mums etc to sponser me.

Did 7.9km in 52 mins this eve, got a stitch part way which hurt! I just kept running and eventually it went away, is it best to just keep running or should you walk for a bit? I did slow down for a bit but in the end just paced myself and it went away.

MrsDeVere Mon 22-Apr-13 20:55:13

I don't know. I usually walk/run/walk/run anyway!

MegBusset Tue 23-Apr-13 13:23:05

Just back from running week 9 (4 x 10 mins), first over-5k run for ages so thought I'd start back at w9 and take it from there. Was fine but flipping hot!

5madthings Tue 23-Apr-13 13:32:39

Yes it us hot, lovely in fact!

I will do a short 5k run this evening and then do another longer run later in the week. I was doing wk 9 run two last night but I just ran the whole time rather than the ten min intervals and a min walking as I didn't feel like walking. But will do the week ten ones with the intervals I think smile

Blatherskite Tue 23-Apr-13 17:11:20

It's going to be a warm one tonight! Planning a 10k so trying to hydrate before I go as I hate carrying anything.

It's giving my kidneys a good work out too! blush

Tis lovely and warm isn't it.

I might go out later. I have just invested in a bike to take me to and from the station and overdid it a bit on Sunday when I went for a practice and am still hurting.

I was walking through Green Park and down the Mall this morning on my way to work in the sunshine, hope it will be as nice a day for our run grin.

5madthings Tue 23-Apr-13 18:05:40

Hope everyone has nice runs this evening, i am planning on going out once dp gets home at 7-7:30ish, with any luck he will then get all the madthings in bed whilst i am out grin

My paper sponsorship forms arrived in the post today so i can take them to school and toddler groups etc smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now