Woolly Hugs does Running..... Running?? Yep, RUNNING!!

(971 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 31-Jan-13 19:48:37

Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

1) Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have done risk assessment>
2) Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.
3) Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.
4) Open front door and go outside shock
5) Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!!

If you haven't seen Phase 2 of our Little Hugs, the thread is HERE. We launched this phase as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday and we call the project Billie's Blankets in her memory. In her name, and through World Child Cancer, we will send little blankets to children, starting with Malawi and Bangladesh, who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after.

Alongside Billie's Blankets, we are very keen to send a donation to World Child Cancer, as money is scarce, they really have so little. One of the ways we will do this is by running! <faints> In May a Woolly Hugs' team will be running the BUPA London 10k, and we are now looking for runners to enter 5K runs throughout the country.

These are where the 5K runs will take place?.. They are all over!

There are already runners committed to running (BIWI, TantrumsandBalloons,me) in London at Crystal Palace on October 13th, and lovely Fizzy and PrettyBird are running in the Glasgow event on July 27th. We would love folk to join with us, or run at a different venue! There is no minimum age and children can be entered, my daughter is running with me, I say with, she will shoot off like a gazelle and I will lumber along. Happily the website says they love fancy dress <*Knotty*, this is time to contemplate something spectacular>

Because World Child Cancer isn't a nominated charity we/they ask that you let them know independently. To take pressure off individuals, and to make this a real woolly community effort we recommend that you use our Woolly Hugs Just Giving page for fundraising. Anything you raise will be marvellous, really, and we will all be able to see how much we can raise together.

Our Just Giving Page is HERE Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in.

So please have a think, if you are interested, we would recommend entering soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you have entered so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things <hazy> Couch to 5K apps and playlists for running spring to mind.

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support thanks

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

thanks

Blatherskite Tue 09-Apr-13 21:49:20

I've been headachey all day but convinced myself I really should go running anyway. It was hard going and I struggled all the way round but I managed to pretty much equal my PB so I'm happy.

I've started my diet again and I think I'd done a little too well today which is why it was so hard. I just had no fuel.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 10-Apr-13 07:50:09

Morning all

Went to see World Child Cancer yesterday, dropped off the Billie's Blankets for Malawi as you may well have seen on Woolly Hugs Facebook, but we also spoke about all our lovely runners. All of you X

WCC are so enormously humbled and grateful for everyone's support, really really are, and I am passing on their heartfelt thanks. I saw some photos of the last visit to Malawi, saw some really heartbreaking things and some really positive things too, and in the midst were nurses and doctors giving their all. Inspirational. The money we raise by running, either in the London 10K or the 5Ks later on will go a long way to support this work.

So, thank you. Xx

EarnestDullard Wed 10-Apr-13 09:24:28

Lovely post Pistey smile I saw the Woolly Hugs photos on FB, all those gorgeous blankets, all that time and effort put in by so many lovely and clever MNers. I'm glad to be able to support the cause in my own way.

By the way, has anyone doing the London 10K had any documentation or anything from Bupa about it? I've only had the confirmation email that I got when I first signed up.

Thank you Pistey for the update.

Earnest - I've had a couple of emails, but haven't read them properly (too many distractions). Sorry, that's not much help is it.

BIWI Wed 10-Apr-13 15:45:23

Week 8 finished.

5madthings Wed 10-Apr-13 15:48:19

Lovely update smile

Will be doing wk 8 run 2 this eve when dp gets home from work and run 3 tomorrow morning smile

How are your shons biwi?

5madthings Wed 10-Apr-13 15:48:29

Shins!!!

Well done BIWI and good luck 5mad! What's wrong with your shins BIWI?

I am going out shortly. My knee still hurts from my cross-country extravaganza on Sunday, so I shall stick to the paths.

5madthings Wed 10-Apr-13 15:55:34

In am consistently running 6.5km in the 38-40mins that wk 8 runs take, I ignore the cool down then cool down on the last bit before I get home and at home.

Will be lengthening my route form week nine and have been sadly plotting it on mapmyrun!

BIWI Wed 10-Apr-13 15:56:58

I rested for a while - think a week - and they were better. I can 'feel' them now, IYSWIM.

I don't want to overdo it and end up getting shin splints.

5madthings Wed 10-Apr-13 16:09:17

Glad they are better, I have been really lucky and other than blisters the first week have had no issues with injury or niggles. Doing the squats made running harder! I have to watch my pelvis as I had SPD when pregnant but touchwood I have been fine.

Its lovely and sunny here, have kicked the mad things out to play and hope it stays nice for my run later, dp should be home at 5:30 wish and he will cook dinner (salmon fillets and new potatoes) whilst I am running!

Blatherskite Wed 10-Apr-13 21:06:06

I tried track training tonight. I've run past the sand pit that Greg Rutherford trained in about a dozen times on my way round. Some of his Olympic-ness will have rubbed off right?

I've finally signed up for Flitwick and it apparently has some nasty hills in it so it better had!

grin

BIWI Wed 10-Apr-13 23:12:42

Good luck, Blathers grin

MegBusset Sat 13-Apr-13 09:18:44

Hello everyone! I'm back from holidays and back in training smile

Ran 5k this morning, what a beautiful day, didn't feel quite as painful as I thought it might after a few weeks' break, but I have a blister!

5madthings Sat 13-Apr-13 18:28:38

Waves at meg smile

I am.back from.todays run, managed a faster time/pace than usual despite the rain and wind. It had been sunny all day until.i went out for a run, typical!

Shall go out again tomorrow and am looking at dps rota to see when is good for this coming weeks runs. Have to say i do wish i could just have cerain days and time that i could run, having to juggle them around dps shifts is a pita.

Hope the 10K goes well Blathers - it's a lovely morning for a run!

Welcome back meg smile

Well done 5mad

No running for me for a few days, but will try to go out tomorrow. We have DSIL and DBIL and DN staying. It's been lovely to watch my teenager and pre-teen interact with a toddler.

5madthings Sun 14-Apr-13 11:34:44

shredded the moments when i catch my teen sat on the floor playing with merryn are lovely, helps you forgive the teen sullenness!

5madthings Sun 14-Apr-13 12:04:26

I have just caught up on trazzles thread sad

I am.in tears for a family i dont know and a little boy i have never met. Bastard cancer.

It rams home just how important the wooly hugs campaign for world child cancer is.

Cancer is a bastard.

Blatherskite Sun 14-Apr-13 13:50:45

Flitwick 10k done in 56:49.

Bit peeved as my PB is 56:45 but am clutching onto the fact that my watch made the previous run 9.96k while this one was 10.02k so I had a bit further to go - and all of it bloody uphill!

5madthings Sun 14-Apr-13 15:19:37

Well done blathers I am sure its in the rules that you can legitimately take at least 20seconds off your time if the run is uphill...

I shall be going out later, its very windy tho but that means I will surely be burning extra calories?

5madthings Mon 15-Apr-13 22:16:54

A really good run this evening, didn't get out til 9pm but did my usual six and a bit km in my fastest time, my pace was just over 6mins a km, no it sure why I was faster but I just felt really good this eve and could have carried on.

Felt great then got in and saw the news about Boston sad

5madthings Mon 15-Apr-13 22:18:08

Anyone else using mapmyrun got the new update BTW? It now tells you every km you reach, your total time and your pace for the km you have just run. Can't decide if I like it or if its annoying!

Hello runners! My foot is finally fixed, no more hobbling, I can wear, sensible, heels again. Going to start my regime again

Today I signed up to do a leg of the moonwalk with girls from work! 6 or so miles, training with colleagues during lunch. All good I hear you say......

Well it would be if I didn't trip up carrying DS to the car this afternoon. Trying to save him from certain death by me crushing him, i did that stumble, nearly falling, stumble, nearly falling, too late, falled (as ds would say) which meant ds cracked his head on the bumper of the car and I ended up in aheap with grazed knees, elbows and a very painful (other) ankle!

I am footless, and an idiot.

Oh and ds is fine, just added another bruise to the many he already has grin

BIWI Tue 16-Apr-13 23:37:14

Oh Glaikit! sad grin

5madthings - I haven't got that update. I can see that too regular updates might be annoying though.

I have two more runs to do with my Get Running app, then I'm not quite sure what to do. I like having someone announce to me every so often how far I've run.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now