Woolly Hugs does Running..... Running?? Yep, RUNNING!!

(971 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 31-Jan-13 19:48:37

Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

1) Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have done risk assessment>
2) Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.
3) Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.
4) Open front door and go outside shock
5) Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!!

If you haven't seen Phase 2 of our Little Hugs, the thread is HERE. We launched this phase as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday and we call the project Billie's Blankets in her memory. In her name, and through World Child Cancer, we will send little blankets to children, starting with Malawi and Bangladesh, who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after.

Alongside Billie's Blankets, we are very keen to send a donation to World Child Cancer, as money is scarce, they really have so little. One of the ways we will do this is by running! <faints> In May a Woolly Hugs' team will be running the BUPA London 10k, and we are now looking for runners to enter 5K runs throughout the country.

These are where the 5K runs will take place?.. They are all over!

There are already runners committed to running (BIWI, TantrumsandBalloons,me) in London at Crystal Palace on October 13th, and lovely Fizzy and PrettyBird are running in the Glasgow event on July 27th. We would love folk to join with us, or run at a different venue! There is no minimum age and children can be entered, my daughter is running with me, I say with, she will shoot off like a gazelle and I will lumber along. Happily the website says they love fancy dress <*Knotty*, this is time to contemplate something spectacular>

Because World Child Cancer isn't a nominated charity we/they ask that you let them know independently. To take pressure off individuals, and to make this a real woolly community effort we recommend that you use our Woolly Hugs Just Giving page for fundraising. Anything you raise will be marvellous, really, and we will all be able to see how much we can raise together.

Our Just Giving Page is HERE Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in.

So please have a think, if you are interested, we would recommend entering soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you have entered so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things <hazy> Couch to 5K apps and playlists for running spring to mind.

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support thanks

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

thanks

Before we've even set off!

Has anyone checked to see if there are any shortcuts en route wink?

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 02-Apr-13 08:17:43

Yes, it's called 'the bus'

grin

I had forgotten such things existed grin

It's such a lovely sunny morning, I'm tempted to go out now.

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Tue 02-Apr-13 09:49:53

It is lovely amd sunny here as well, however if i go for a run and leave the madthings on their own that might be frowned up grin plus i will.habe an extra two in a bit, may take them all to the park tho smile i shall run once dp gets home at 7pm at least its still light then now the clocks have changed.

7 children <faints>

That might make me run away grin

I just did a couple of miles in the sunshine with the BeeGees on my ipod grin

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Tue 02-Apr-13 11:55:23

Once you get past three/four a couple more don't make any difference! But yes I may need a run by the time dp gets home, plus the plan this eve is feed kids, get them in bed earlyish so dp and I can have a take away, so I should run so that I can eat my take away guilt free!

Gloriously sunny here, whispers...do you think spring is finally arriving... Touches wood.

EarnestDullard Tue 02-Apr-13 14:48:47

Lovely and sunny here too, not warm though! I'm hoping to get out tomorrow or Thursday morning for a run. And I went to the gym on Monday morning; we were in a hotel for the night after meeting family for a meal out. Is it really sad that being able to use the gym is one of my favourite things about staying in a hotel? That and the buffet breakfast grin

Would be great if Spring was finally here! We have just moved opposite a park in the hope that we could chuck DS's outside for regular fresh air and exercise, but it's been too cold/too wet/too muddy most of the time.

Buffet breakfasts and hotel gyms - yes! Not sad at all!

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Tue 02-Apr-13 16:08:37

Been at the park with all seven kids, lovely and sunny but still cold and windy but def spring like. Not looking forward to running this eve if its still windy but shall be ready for when dp gets in at 7pm.

Blatherskite Tue 02-Apr-13 17:20:16

Going for a run in an hour. Oddly excited about running in daylight and without 50 layers on!

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Tue 02-Apr-13 23:04:29

I didn't get to run as dp was late home but I did do thishttp://www.100squatsaday.com/
My thighs are dying!

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Tue 02-Apr-13 23:04:43
Blatherskite Wed 03-Apr-13 08:56:19

I did 11.25k last night and can feel it this moring! My left hip and knee are aching. We did a new route around the lake which was quite uneven in places which I think is what caused it.

If you're doing lots of squats, make sure you're doing them well. Repeated squats done wrong will really mess your knees up.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Wed 03-Apr-13 08:58:55

God, my knees ache just thinking about doing 100 squats grin

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Wed 03-Apr-13 11:09:23

My knees are fine but my thighs still feel.funny this morning! I watched a video then dp was watching to make sure i did them right, i used to do squats at the gym and with a few of the davina dvds i have but never 100. You are meant to do 100 a day for a month....not sure if my thighs will let me.

Going for a run this afternoon so hopefully that will get rid of the slightly odd feeling in my thighs and then i shall try and do my squats after my run!

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Wed 03-Apr-13 19:31:33

Oh deary me i did 50 squats before my run....ha ha ha. Did my 6.5km but my pace was slightly slower than usual as my thighs soooo felt that! Plus its windy and i keep thinking that on the next bit of my run the wind will be behind me but it never is.

QueenBIWI Wed 03-Apr-13 22:33:39

It was snowing on my run today!

EarnestDullard Thu 04-Apr-13 12:42:59

I've just done 5k in the snow. In 32 mins, which is pretty quick for me (nothing like snow to get you trying to get home sooner)! My head hurts a bit now though. Need a cake big glass of water. And I'm tiiiired after being up twice with sicky DD2 in the night.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Thu 04-Apr-13 14:45:13

That's good going!

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Thu 04-Apr-13 15:18:04

Well done earnest

Its snowy and windy here ffs!

My thighs are dying ftom the squats but going to run later
on wk 8 just looked ahead a bit and it ramps up to longer runs ie 50mins + in the next few weeks!

Well done Earnest and Blathers - and 5mad for your squatting, and BIWI for your snowy run.

Really cold here, and have my parents staying. But managed a quick jog around the block with numerous layers on, including tights under my trackie bottoms grin

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Thu 04-Apr-13 17:36:48

Given that my thighs are dying i am.not sure if i should run this evening? Going up and down the stairs, going to sit down/stand up is yoooowwwch!! I ran yesterday so may wait and run tomorrow morning and then a run on sunday would make four runs this week.

I am feeling grin as i measured myself in feb when i started running and re did it today 3 and a half inches off my waist and an inch and a half off each thigh! My weight lose has plateued but my shape is changing still smile any tips on how to get rid of the final half a stone? I think.i maybe need to cut back on the maltesers... sad and do a bit more exercise.

EarnestDullard Sat 06-Apr-13 16:33:14

Those are great inch loss results 5mad. I haven't measured myself this time around; I did after DD1 was born when I was Shredding and running, but this time I'm just going by the scales. I've lost 10lbs since Christmas and I'd like to lose at least 8 more. The last few lbs are the hardest to shift, ime the only way to get past a plateau is to cut back on calories a bit more, and up the exercise. The good news is that the lean muscle you're building by exercising will burn more fat.

Lovely day here; I ran 4.5 miles this morning. Hope the sun's shining for the rest of you too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now