Woolly Hugs does Running..... Running?? Yep, RUNNING!!

(971 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 31-Jan-13 19:48:37

Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

1) Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have done risk assessment>
2) Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.
3) Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.
4) Open front door and go outside shock
5) Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!!

If you haven't seen Phase 2 of our Little Hugs, the thread is HERE. We launched this phase as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday and we call the project Billie's Blankets in her memory. In her name, and through World Child Cancer, we will send little blankets to children, starting with Malawi and Bangladesh, who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after.

Alongside Billie's Blankets, we are very keen to send a donation to World Child Cancer, as money is scarce, they really have so little. One of the ways we will do this is by running! <faints> In May a Woolly Hugs' team will be running the BUPA London 10k, and we are now looking for runners to enter 5K runs throughout the country.

These are where the 5K runs will take place?.. They are all over!

There are already runners committed to running (BIWI, TantrumsandBalloons,me) in London at Crystal Palace on October 13th, and lovely Fizzy and PrettyBird are running in the Glasgow event on July 27th. We would love folk to join with us, or run at a different venue! There is no minimum age and children can be entered, my daughter is running with me, I say with, she will shoot off like a gazelle and I will lumber along. Happily the website says they love fancy dress <*Knotty*, this is time to contemplate something spectacular>

Because World Child Cancer isn't a nominated charity we/they ask that you let them know independently. To take pressure off individuals, and to make this a real woolly community effort we recommend that you use our Woolly Hugs Just Giving page for fundraising. Anything you raise will be marvellous, really, and we will all be able to see how much we can raise together.

Our Just Giving Page is HERE Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in.

So please have a think, if you are interested, we would recommend entering soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you have entered so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things <hazy> Couch to 5K apps and playlists for running spring to mind.

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support thanks

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

thanks

5madthings Wed 20-Mar-13 18:46:36

6.5km in 38mins i ran.the whole way! Feeling smugger than a smug thing!! grin

And so you should 5mad!

5madthings Wed 20-Mar-13 19:49:48

Thankyou smile

I may have a rum and coke once the madthings are in bed...

Just realised dp.isnt working this weekend, yay! But that also means i could do the 5k parkrun on saturday. I shall have a look at the weather forcast. And i dont feel so daunted by wk 7/8 runs now as i know its fine. There is a bit from 8-12mi s when i feel like aghh but once i get past that i am fine and could have carried on longer today. I spent a while doing stretches afterwards, slightly complicated by no 3, 4 and 5 trying to copy me, there wasnt really enough room for us all!

EggBasket Thu 21-Mar-13 00:17:11

5mad that is a great run smile

But have you seen the forecast for the weekend? More snow!!

EggBasket Thu 21-Mar-13 00:18:04

(Tis Meg under Easter namechange)

5madthings Thu 21-Mar-13 13:43:40

I have seen the weather forecast, I am ignoring it... And keeping my fingers crossed for no snow!

We have had some quotes back for the car sad minimum of £1500-2000!!! Cries, no holiday this year, tho dp couldn't get any time off anyway.

We may just end up selling it for scrap and buying something else, dp has been looking at caravelles, not new obviously.

And my bloody mother, made a comment that yes its a pita but we make it more difficult by having so many children and therefore needing a bigger car... angry next time she makes a comment like that I may ask her which three we should get rid of.. Ffs.

Planning on doing a Davina DVD tonight as dp is at work then running tomorrow eve as soon as he gets in and weather depending the park run on sat morning.

EggBasket Thu 21-Mar-13 14:08:54

Jeez... sad at cost and angry about stupid comment!

5madthings Thu 21-Mar-13 14:15:48

I know! I am not being over sensitive am I?!! I KNOW she thinks we have too I many children, she has always made that perfectly clear. But its just the way she drops it into the conversation, 'well you do make life more difficult for yourselves by having five...' Life actually isn't difficult, its fine but unexpected expenditures like this are a pita no matter how many kids you have and really its a pointless comment as its not a situation I can change is it?!! Grr.

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Thu 21-Mar-13 14:29:43

Testing...

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Thu 21-Mar-13 14:30:04

Easter name grin

EggBasket Mon 25-Mar-13 22:07:33

Well I have well and truly fallen off the running wagon. I have had a sore throat and cold for two weeks, and I am bloody fed up with the cold, and am hibernating until the daytime temperature gets above two degrees! Even doing the school run today was utterly miserable.

I am sure though that my fitness is good enough to withstand a week or two off. School breaks up on Weds and we're off for a week in the New Forest during the hols, where I will hopefully be walking lots and might even check out the gym. Then I will resume training properly when the schools go back.

Yesterday was my second run of week 7 - a 25 minute run. I gave myself a week off after week 6, because my shins were sore, and then did both runs this week in the park, so that I could run on softer surfaces rather than on the pavement. So far, so good.

I'm finding now that whilst I'm running, although I'm still waiting for the voice-over to tell me when the 5 minutes are up, and I look forward to that (!), I can cope well with the length of run. And I didn't even appear to be that much out of breath when I stopped, which I was absolutely amazed by.

Re the cold, I can heartily recommend these . Cold hands is the one thing that was really putting me off (I suffer from Raynauds), and these really help.

EarnestDullard Wed 27-Mar-13 18:20:44

Finally managed to get out for a run, only my second one in about 5 weeks, but I managed 4.5 miles. 2 months now to build up to 10k (plus trying to finish the 30 Day Shred; I started in February and I've only done 9 days so far! Should be able to get lots of exercise in over the long weekend with DH around though smile

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Wed 27-Mar-13 18:36:20

I havent run yet this week as its been cold! And dp been working loads. He is not in work til tomorrow lunchtime now so i will go tomorrow morning. Then he has the weekend off so i can go then as well.

Well done to those who have kept it up in the cold! I dont mind cold hands but it does hurt my chest a bit when its really cold, i must make an app to see asthma nurse and get a new prescriptipn for my inhaler actually. Havent needed it but feel i should have it just in case.

Hello runners!

I had my first run in a week today - cold and damp, but glad I went.

I went out this afternoon to run, but a late phone call delayed me from leaving the house, and when I got to the park there was only ten minutes before it was going to close! So I came home. I have a personal trainer appointment tomorrow, so it's probably going to be Friday now before I do my next run.

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 28-Mar-13 09:20:57

Hello chums

Feels almost spring like. I say almost

We've lost tantrums, hope she's surviving smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 28-Mar-13 09:21:44

I think the first Woolly Hugger Runner goes soon, I need to check but think it was April.....

<trots off>

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 28-Mar-13 09:23:09

I have asthma too, tis completely under control, so I like to think I am cured, but I know what you mean about cold, makes my lungs go stiff and flat, horrid. Roll on warmer weather

Morning pistey brew

Oops, hadn't noticed the time! Almost time to say afternoon pistey!

I am considering a parkrun this weekend shock.

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Thu 28-Mar-13 13:53:28

I didnt run this morning as i am still snotty and my chest is a bit tight but i WILL run tomorrow, feel a bit annoyed that i didnt run but am knackered as dp has been at work solidly including overnight etc so have been on my own with the madthings for over three days. Hats off to single parents, dp:s shifts are crappy enough, i couldnt do it full time!

Depending on how my run tomorrow goes i may do the parkrun on sat morning, wil have to bike to it as we are still without a car, hopefully the garage can fit it in next week. Re aathma, mine has been fine for years but when i get a cold it does go to my chest and i am crap and smoke...only 3-5 a day, roll ups but i reallu should stop... Anyway i have found a brown preventer inhaler but i dont have any salbutamol so need to get to drs and sort that.

I just saw tantrums on another thread, i may kicl het over in this direction!

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Thu 28-Mar-13 14:13:23

Bump for tantrums grin

Did you run 5mad? DH and I just did 4 miles together. Plan was for boys to cycle alongside us calling words of encouragement, but they kept speeding off into the distance. DH should not be running (waiting for a knee op, injury caused by running angry) but I figure it's his choice, and he stayed most of the way at my snail pace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now