Woolly Hugs does Running..... Running?? Yep, RUNNING!!

(971 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 31-Jan-13 19:48:37

Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

1) Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have done risk assessment>
2) Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.
3) Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.
4) Open front door and go outside shock
5) Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!!

If you haven't seen Phase 2 of our Little Hugs, the thread is HERE. We launched this phase as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday and we call the project Billie's Blankets in her memory. In her name, and through World Child Cancer, we will send little blankets to children, starting with Malawi and Bangladesh, who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after.

Alongside Billie's Blankets, we are very keen to send a donation to World Child Cancer, as money is scarce, they really have so little. One of the ways we will do this is by running! <faints> In May a Woolly Hugs' team will be running the BUPA London 10k, and we are now looking for runners to enter 5K runs throughout the country.

These are where the 5K runs will take place?.. They are all over!

There are already runners committed to running (BIWI, TantrumsandBalloons,me) in London at Crystal Palace on October 13th, and lovely Fizzy and PrettyBird are running in the Glasgow event on July 27th. We would love folk to join with us, or run at a different venue! There is no minimum age and children can be entered, my daughter is running with me, I say with, she will shoot off like a gazelle and I will lumber along. Happily the website says they love fancy dress <*Knotty*, this is time to contemplate something spectacular>

Because World Child Cancer isn't a nominated charity we/they ask that you let them know independently. To take pressure off individuals, and to make this a real woolly community effort we recommend that you use our Woolly Hugs Just Giving page for fundraising. Anything you raise will be marvellous, really, and we will all be able to see how much we can raise together.

Our Just Giving Page is HERE Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in.

So please have a think, if you are interested, we would recommend entering soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you have entered so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things <hazy> Couch to 5K apps and playlists for running spring to mind.

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support thanks

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

thanks

I can't believe I ran for that length of time grin

5madthings Mon 18-Mar-13 11:47:53

I have been out for a run. Completing wk 6 and i did 6.5km. Lovely and sunny out today, i am rather sweaty now tho and in need of a shower!

EarnestDullard Mon 18-Mar-13 12:04:10

I have another effing cold. Managed to squeeze one run and one Shred day into the week between the last cold and this one; just hope this one clears up quicker than the last! Caught it from poor 5mo DD2 who is full of snot, bless her.

Well done on the half marathon Shredded, I'd love to do one some day. Pre-DC I used to run 10+ miles; can't imagine finding the time or energy to do that anymore grin

MegBusset Mon 18-Mar-13 12:09:25

I'm going as soon as I get back from preschool drop-off. Still got a sore throat and knackered as DC kept me awake from 4-5am so not sure I'll be very speedy today!

5madthings Mon 18-Mar-13 12:24:56

Well its lovely out meg so hopefully the sun will perk you up! Which one had you up in the night?

Hope you feel better soon earnest three out of my five have colds, i am a bit snotty and do not want to catch it!

I have just done some stretches and sit ups etc in a bid to tone.. Dp ar work tomorrow so think i will do a davina dvd in the eve and then run when he gets in from work on wed eve.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Mon 18-Mar-13 12:44:23

Hmm. My shins are a bit sore this morning, so I think I'll take an extra rest day. And I think I'll run in the park so there are some softer surfaces to run on. (Although at the moment I think everywhere is under water grin)

MegBusset Mon 18-Mar-13 13:05:53

They were playing tag 5mad - DS2 needed a wee, then DS1 lost his toy, then DS2 needed a tissue... so it was either go for a run this afternoon, or crawl back into bed!

5madthings Mon 18-Mar-13 15:40:34

Oh dear, wake up tag...

Did you run or go back to bed?!

I phoned bupa BTW as you had that email and I didn't, the person I spoke to on the phone seemed to think it didn't matter?! And i should get the 'pack' two weeks before the run etc. Also had an email from world child cancer and they will send me some paper forms and a vest etc.

Our car is very poorly sad something to do with the can belt...and lots of money to fix it sad

MrsDeVere Mon 18-Mar-13 15:51:43

I had my sesh with the trainer today.
I bloody hate exercising <grumpy>

MegBusset Mon 18-Mar-13 16:44:44

I ran! Super early night tonight. Bummer about the car, how long til you get it back?

MrsDV how did it go with the PT? I often fantasise about having one, I reckon if I had a trainer and a personal chef I'd look like Gwyneth Paltrow...

5madthings Mon 18-Mar-13 17:21:43

No idea when we will get car back. The

cam belt broke?! And apparently when it did it damaged the engine. It may turn out too expensive to fix and we will be better off buying a new car sad

I like the idea of a personal trainer and chef and a cleaner and a much bigger house!

5madthings Mon 18-Mar-13 17:22:08

Oh and my own swimming pool.... I dont want much!

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Mon 18-Mar-13 17:23:52

Sorry to hear about your car, 5madthings. We have finally got shot of our old car - every time something went wrong (which was happening more and more often) it was just so expensive to fix.

MrsDV - what was the trainer like? It does, IME, make it much more bearable when you've got someone there to encourage you/talk to you.

5madthings Mon 18-Mar-13 17:28:50

Its not even that old! Its a citreon c8 and has been okish tho we have had a few things to fix in the last year. Normally its the electrics which are costly. I know nothing about cars but apparently cam belts are important and often when they go they damage the engine meaning ££££

Now to find a magic money tree to pay for a new car, anyone know where i can find one?!

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Mon 18-Mar-13 17:31:28

If only!

Oh no, sorry to hear about the car 5mad.

Can I come for a swim in your pool when you get one?

I've had an email from BUPA today, but haven't opened it yet...

5madthings Tue 19-Mar-13 18:44:01

I wonder if they are sending the emails out in batches?

And yes all welcome to swim in my pool if I ever get one...haha tho dp does have a good life insurance policy

5madthings Tue 19-Mar-13 18:44:27

Ponders... grin

grin

Blatherskite Tue 19-Mar-13 20:59:46

I really, really didn't feel like running tonight.

I went anyway.

It wasn't a fast run but it was my longest at 11.14k. I went through a puddle at one point and when I got home, the mud had soaked all the way through to my skin! Glad I'm home, clean and warm now.

Blathers - runs like that count double grin.

Well done, great distance!

Blatherskite Wed 20-Mar-13 11:16:47

It certainly felt like twice the effort! smile

Have shredded (level 2) again today too. Need to get my aerobic fitness up to get my times down.

Good plan Blathers - I haven't shredded for ages. I started "Run Every Day in March", but have had a few days off in the run up to and after my half marathon. I started today with good intentions, but have found myself easily distracted grin.

On the positive side, my Little Hug is almost ready to go (just a few more peskies - that will teach me to use so many different colours), my Billie blanket has grown a few rows, and I'm about to order another ball of white so I can finish my Angel Hug.

Pistey, if you are reading, when are the posting dates for Little/Angel Hugs and Billie blankets? I can probably get all 3 completed and off to you by the end of next week <ambitious but need a deadline>

Oh - and my point to Blathers was going to be that lots of short and fast runs getting really puffed out really helped me build up speed even over longer distances, so the shred should help too.

5madthings Wed 20-Mar-13 17:32:30

Just waiting for dp to get home and then I shall go out for a run, its stopped raining/snowing so hopefully it will stay dry! It is bloody cold tho but that means more calories burnt grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now