Woolly Hugs does Running..... Running?? Yep, RUNNING!!

(971 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 31-Jan-13 19:48:37

Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

1) Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have done risk assessment>
2) Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.
3) Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.
4) Open front door and go outside shock
5) Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!!

If you haven't seen Phase 2 of our Little Hugs, the thread is HERE. We launched this phase as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday and we call the project Billie's Blankets in her memory. In her name, and through World Child Cancer, we will send little blankets to children, starting with Malawi and Bangladesh, who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after.

Alongside Billie's Blankets, we are very keen to send a donation to World Child Cancer, as money is scarce, they really have so little. One of the ways we will do this is by running! <faints> In May a Woolly Hugs' team will be running the BUPA London 10k, and we are now looking for runners to enter 5K runs throughout the country.

These are where the 5K runs will take place?.. They are all over!

There are already runners committed to running (BIWI, TantrumsandBalloons,me) in London at Crystal Palace on October 13th, and lovely Fizzy and PrettyBird are running in the Glasgow event on July 27th. We would love folk to join with us, or run at a different venue! There is no minimum age and children can be entered, my daughter is running with me, I say with, she will shoot off like a gazelle and I will lumber along. Happily the website says they love fancy dress <*Knotty*, this is time to contemplate something spectacular>

Because World Child Cancer isn't a nominated charity we/they ask that you let them know independently. To take pressure off individuals, and to make this a real woolly community effort we recommend that you use our Woolly Hugs Just Giving page for fundraising. Anything you raise will be marvellous, really, and we will all be able to see how much we can raise together.

Our Just Giving Page is HERE Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in.

So please have a think, if you are interested, we would recommend entering soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you have entered so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things <hazy> Couch to 5K apps and playlists for running spring to mind.

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support thanks

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 20-Feb-13 21:35:06

I'm not sure I'd want to run barefoot anywhere confused

I did a stupid thing today, I was rushing around and managed to knee-butt a door edge really very hard, my right knee cap is blue and it bloody hurts to bend it. Bloody hop along me. sad

Seeing if gin takes the edge off the pain at the mo.

5madthings Wed 20-Feb-13 21:56:39

Ooh owch sounds painful sad do you have any arnica for the bruising and painkillers and gin...

I have a chocolate cheesecake calling me from the fridge..

Blatherskite Thu 21-Feb-13 22:02:54

I did 10k tonight. According to the car thermometer it was 0.5 degrees and I think I froze my tummy and thighs as when I got back and undressed to get in the shower, they were covered in a blotchy, red, itchy rash! It seems to have calmed down now I'm warm thankfully but it was really worrying for a while!

BIWI Thu 21-Feb-13 22:16:00

Blimey!

<snuggles down on warm sofa>

BIWI Fri 22-Feb-13 16:15:20

The good news: I've finished week 3

The bad news: I have to start week 4, which means running for 5 minutes shock

5madthings Fri 22-Feb-13 16:18:19

I a,m going out shortly but it keeps snowing! Not settling but god its cold!

Five mins, I can run for four mins, then walk a bit,.. Also on week three which has been OK. But I add a bit extra on at the end and then run for a bit, walk for a bit as my route takes longer than the length of the workout iyswim?

BIWI Fri 22-Feb-13 16:34:49

I wore tracksuit bottoms over my running tights today, and that was definitely a good idea!

I could do with warmer gloves I think.

5madthings Fri 22-Feb-13 16:37:11

See I don't like being too hot, but I may needs gloves today.. Should go get changed and go out...

BIWI Fri 22-Feb-13 16:47:31

No - being hot isn't great - but I really hate being cold!!

MegBusset Fri 22-Feb-13 16:56:21

It was -1 when I went out yesterday morning, I don't mind the cold so much, and the hot shower afterwards is the best.

I managed to Shred this afternoon while the DC watched Scooby Doo. DS1's birthday party tomorrow morning so if I've any energy left by the afternoon I'll go running then.

5madthings Fri 22-Feb-13 17:55:31

I ended up taking my gloves off. That was really good, i am amazed at how quickly i can see a difference in my ability. As wk three is only a 28min run i ended up running for all the cool down amd then walking a min and then running again the next ten mins to get round back to home again and bizarelly felt like i could keep going! Great to come home and smell beef casserole and dumplings being cooked for dinner.

C u tomorrow meg i suspect a run will be needed after soft play madness!

Great to see you all making such great progress and enjoying your running smile.

I'm doing a 4 miler tomorrow morning shock, followed by brunch with a friend. The thought of coffee and pancakes will keep me going grin.

Pistey - hope your knee is feeling better and the gin worked

My chariots of fire dream appears to be over sad I'll join you in the ouchy bench pistey!

Small accident last night involving heels a alcohol. Just heading up to a&e as I think is broken. If its not it should be as it bloody hurts!

BIWI Sat 23-Feb-13 11:58:40

Oh no! Sorry to hear that sad

(But you have to tell us - what happened/what did you do?!)

Line dancing ladies night with my mum last night! I dusted off my killer heels. Killer being the important word here! Played bingo (rock and roll) took part in the longest ever raffle where the white a green tickets were so close in colour women were fighting over the prizes. Star prize was a half stone of fish from a local monger! I won a wreath of chocolates! It weighs about half stone!

Jd was had, dancing was done, I avoided the buffet as I wouldn't be able to follow the 4 rules of Paul McKenna. Got home to my mums, killer heels intact. Just finished saying, I can't believe I still have these shoes on, when Sod's law struck. Arse over tit outside mums neighbours house. I have a scraped knee but more worryingly I can't put any weight on my left foot!

I'm a doofus.

BIWI Sat 23-Feb-13 12:33:57

grin

MrsDeVere Sat 23-Feb-13 12:53:56

I was gonna run this week.
But I have been poorly sad

I have also have crocheting disasters.

I feel sad

and a bit useless <self indulgent>

Glaikit a sore foot sounds worth it for a night like that! Hope its ok though.

Ouch Fizzy - hope all is OK!

prettybird Sat 23-Feb-13 17:26:53

I've had the perfect excuse: my GP told me on Monday to cut back on physical exercise while I'm taking antibiotics for a chest infection. Still not shifted though - had to ask for an extension to the course of amoxicillin yesterday as I'm still hacking painfully sad and my GP knows I hate taking antibiotics

prettybird Sat 23-Feb-13 17:27:47

Hope you're feeling better Glaikit - if not, get thee to A&E.

Blatherskite Sat 23-Feb-13 21:28:59

I hope you're foots feeling better Glaikit. Sounds nasty.

I had a rubbish run this morning and am really annoyed. Have issues with my blood at the moment which is probably not helping but they were getting better and I hoped I'd be sorted by now. Just really frustrated by it all

Blatherskite Sat 23-Feb-13 21:29:26

you're foots? I can't even spell now!

Foot update. A rather impressive bruise has appeared overnight, and I have more movement back. Still have to walk like I've pooped my pants though!

Sorry to hear that you are under the weather pretty. Hope the anti-biotics work for you and the cough shifts.

Blathers for every rubbish run there is a good one around the corner. Hope your blood issues are sorted soon.

Fizzy double ouch. Are we to surmise that you didn't go and get your foot looked at yesterday?

I will join you in the hobble. I enjoyed my run at the time yesterday, but am really stiff today. That's supposed to be a good sign, isn't it?

EarnestDullard Sun 24-Feb-13 14:27:04

thanks and brew to all those who are ill or injured. I'm currently on the bench too, thanks to a cold and horrendous sore throat which finally seems to be abating. So I'll hopefully be back to Shredding this week and a run at some point mid-week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now