Woolly Hugs does Running..... Running?? Yep, RUNNING!!

(971 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 31-Jan-13 19:48:37

Woolly Hugs Guide to Running

1) Put down your woolly wool,crochet hooks and needles. <we have done risk assessment>
2) Find your trainers, these are sort of soft bouncy shoe-things that go on your feet.
3) Find something loose and comfortable to wear, and no we don't mean a caftan.
4) Open front door and go outside shock
5) Put one foot in front of the other with speed and determination!

YOU are RUNNING!!

If you haven't seen Phase 2 of our Little Hugs, the thread is HERE. We launched this phase as a tribute to beautiful Billie, our lovely MrsDeVere's daughter, who devastatingly died at 14 from leukaemia. We launched this at the time of her 21st birthday and we call the project Billie's Blankets in her memory. In her name, and through World Child Cancer, we will send little blankets to children, starting with Malawi and Bangladesh, who really need a Woolly Hug and to feel loved and looked after.

Alongside Billie's Blankets, we are very keen to send a donation to World Child Cancer, as money is scarce, they really have so little. One of the ways we will do this is by running! <faints> In May a Woolly Hugs' team will be running the BUPA London 10k, and we are now looking for runners to enter 5K runs throughout the country.

These are where the 5K runs will take place?.. They are all over!

There are already runners committed to running (BIWI, TantrumsandBalloons,me) in London at Crystal Palace on October 13th, and lovely Fizzy and PrettyBird are running in the Glasgow event on July 27th. We would love folk to join with us, or run at a different venue! There is no minimum age and children can be entered, my daughter is running with me, I say with, she will shoot off like a gazelle and I will lumber along. Happily the website says they love fancy dress <*Knotty*, this is time to contemplate something spectacular>

Because World Child Cancer isn't a nominated charity we/they ask that you let them know independently. To take pressure off individuals, and to make this a real woolly community effort we recommend that you use our Woolly Hugs Just Giving page for fundraising. Anything you raise will be marvellous, really, and we will all be able to see how much we can raise together.

Our Just Giving Page is HERE Donations are welcome at any time, huge thanks for those already in.

So please have a think, if you are interested, we would recommend entering soon to avoid disappointment. Let us know when you have entered so we can cheer you on, and please use this thread for support, and general running things <hazy> Couch to 5K apps and playlists for running spring to mind.

The children that WCC support need all the love and comfort possible. So please, in memory of a sparkling young girl who always thought of others, we'd love you to help us help them.

As ever, thank you so much for your support thanks

Thinking of Billie and her family Xx

Knotty and Pistey

thanks

FrankWippery Tue 05-Feb-13 19:03:27

Oooh nice one MrsDV. And I will of course be there at the end with the pink sparkly noisy child. She has taken rather a shine to you and your small boys, so I think we have the wedding sorted.

Back from swimming.

Exhausted.

Did 30 lengths.

Ds1 shouted at me. Encouragement, allegedly.

5madthings Tue 05-Feb-13 19:09:26

Positive reinforcement tantrums sargeant major style! Maybe he has a future career as a super expensive personal trainer to the rich and famous!

Sargent major is right.

But he just made me a cup of tea and is cooking dinner so he is not all bad grin

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Tue 05-Feb-13 19:13:06

30 lengths? shock

<respect>

Can you withhold pocket money for not being nice to his aged mother?

I feel like I've just done 30 lengths by doing bathtime with ds! I'm probably just as wet!

Just saw the cooking dinner bit! Double his pocket money!

5madthings Tue 05-Feb-13 19:27:39

My ds1 cooked dinner tonight as well! Am just about to get the youngest madthing to bed and then i shall do my kick boxing dvd tho i have to use the xbox to play the dvd and need to get ds1 to show me how it works blush

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 05-Feb-13 20:43:34

Frankie If I end up not running the 10K I'll be at the end with you and your sparkly pink gorgeous DD. We can have pom poms x 3 smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 05-Feb-13 20:43:54

Or, we could just wave your DD grin

5madthings Tue 05-Feb-13 20:59:27

I have done my kick boxing DVD. Omg I can feel it in my legs...

I think its raining a bit now the snow will not be staying.. Yay!

FrankWippery Tue 05-Feb-13 21:13:42

I think we can do both. A pom pom in one hand, one on each of her feet and we can wave her with our non pom pommed hand. Somehow grin

We will be there with cold tins of G&T and Smirnoff Ices. And chocolate.

KnottyLocks Tue 05-Feb-13 21:23:30

Knackered just reading this tbh grin

wine

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Wed 06-Feb-13 08:35:52

We shall just end up in a sweaty, pissed up heap at the finishing line, won't we?!

<hopes>

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 06-Feb-13 12:19:42

sounds smashing BIWI

EasilyBored Wed 06-Feb-13 12:24:56

Am going to go out tonight for run number two, as DH is back from London later. I am feeling very stressed at work, so I'm hoping some endorphins might make me less likely to Lose My Shit by the end of the week and finally just go for my colleague's throat with a stapler and a broken plastic ruler. Ahem.

V impressed with the swimming tantrums and well done on the DVDs.

5mad, you need to get a zumba game for the Kinect, it's mad! I was pouring with sweat and exhausted after half an hour last time I did it!

5madthings Wed 06-Feb-13 12:40:52

I may have a look at the zumba games for xbox.

I shall be runninh when dp gets in from work, my plan is that i shall go.out as he gets in and he can cook dinner for us all whilst i run smile

5madthings Wed 06-Feb-13 12:53:24

There seem to be lots of zumba games for the xbox, zumba core, zumba party, zumba rush? Are any more recomended? And having watched a demo i am not sure i am co-ordinated enough... Which one have you got easily? ha ha next time i visit we can do one together i bed dh would have a right laugh at our expense grin

prettybird Wed 06-Feb-13 13:04:54

Just been out for a 50 minute cycle ride with dh in the glorious sunshine smile. Tomorrow I might think about going for a run instead, if it is still as nice (although cold).

Kewcumber Wed 06-Feb-13 13:19:47

Ok I'm 48 very overweight and did my last 5 k in 44 mins (45 = walking!)

I'm on for the london one. And can train in SW london... grin

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Wed 06-Feb-13 14:28:37

I did my first session at the new gym today, and part of my new programme involves running. It's more intense than C25K, and it's only supposed to be part of my hour! I'm supposed to jog for a minute at 10 (no idea if that's mph or kph!) and then run for a minute at 13! And do that 5 times! I would have died. Clearly fitness levels not as good as I had hoped re the endurance stuff.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Wed 06-Feb-13 14:29:05

Apologies for the over-use of exclamation marks there. A little exercised at the moment ...

Blatherskite Wed 06-Feb-13 14:47:42

I managed 10k last night and had a second go at Shred level 2 today. I'd be feeling more virtuous if I hadn't snarfed a Wispa the second I'd finished though wink

EarnestDullard Wed 06-Feb-13 17:01:18

I managed a 2.5 mile run this morning and also did Shred level 1 yesterday (oddly, exactly a year since the last time I did it). Arms and chest were so achey last night that I could barely get comfortable to sleep! If I aim to up my distance by a mile each month, that'll get me to about 10k by May. I'm also hoping to have lost a stone by then.

5madthings Wed 06-Feb-13 19:20:14

Week one run two of cto10k done in the rain no less!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now