Blanket for lemontruffles : lovely crafters, donors, we are calling for your help.

(1038 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 12:22:59

Very sad news I'm afraid. Lemontruffles' husband died this week on New Year's Day after living with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Such devastating news. Our hearts go out to her. In her own words, he was the love of her life.
sad

We have offered to make a blanket for her, and are so pleased that she has said she would love one. She is clearly so very moved by our offer and has said she is astonished at the kindness of strangers. We will all be holding her hand and hope that she will feel the love and support from us all, and that the blanket will bring whatever comfort it can.

Lemontruffles writes so movingly on her thread about her beloved husband, and has shared many memories, bless her heart. her thread is HERE. You will not fail to be moved by the love and warmth of her posts about him.

So to the Woolly Hug, we would be very grateful for your help.

We will need crocheters, knitters and donors (of funds or wool) I will co ordinate and do admin, and Knotty (KnottyLocks) is here and will help you with any queries you may have.

So if you are able to join with us, please PM me, and also if you are offering to donate, or need a donor, I can help match you up.

Thank you so much.
thanks

The wool we are using:
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK (not the Baby cashmerino)
* Rowan Cashsoft DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK.
* Artesano Superwash Merino DK.

Just from these yarns please as they are very similar and we know they can be combined for wash and wear.

4mm crochet hook or knitting needles
6 inch squares

The Colours
Lemontruffles has spoken so movingly about her husband's love for the countryside of North Wales, and to reflect that passion how she sees the blanket as a landscape, so :

Greens, darker purples, blues, silvers, cream.

If going for cream please use Debbie Bliss cashmerino DK 013
(Not bright colours for this please, and no pinks or lilacs, thank you)

Just sharing some of her words about him
He was Welsh and loved the countryside of North Wales especially. He loved walking. He loved going to the pub and having the biggest laugh he could. He had a fantastic sense of humour and he loved having fun. He was warm hearted, he had a spirit of pure generosity - though with a 'sticking point' stubborn streak! - he was no angel. He was very adventurous about life. He was a proper hippy in the 60s and 70s. He had an amazing memory for all sorts of things, and a very wide ranging and strange knowledge of very odd things. Such an interesting man. A man with endless and deep humanity towards all the people he met. He was very well loved. He had a deep maturity and wisdom about other people.

Oh, and music! Not male voice choirs! Rock and blues from the 60s and 70s, and the manic street preachers. He had great taste. Also photographs. He was always photographing things, all sorts of random things, all sorts of bits of nature, and landscapes. He loved his camera.

Suggestions for motifs
* Any motifs of the natural world - trees, leaves, flowers, birds (esp crows )
* Can anyone find a Welsh dragon design or a harp? We'd love to find these for her.
* Anything to reflect he was a Welshman.
* Music, photography related
* We have an initial, could you PM me if this is something you'd like to do.

There are many relevant patterns for knitters and crocheters linked to from our website under Crafting

Reading her words gives us lots of motifs to think about for sure, but please don't feel daunted by these suggestions, we love plain squares and simple textures too. They look as stunning as the more complex squares and actually play a vital role in the overall effect.

Previous blankets can be seen on our website. We also have a Facebook page MNWoollyHugs and are on Twitter @MNWoollyHugs. If you 'like' or 'follow' us you'll be updated on progress via your feed.

As always, we thank you so much for your support.
Thinking of lemontruffles Xx

Pistey and Knotty
thanks

JustFabulous Sun 06-Jan-13 15:16:22

Thank you.

blondietinsellyminx Sun 06-Jan-13 15:16:38

I can't knit/crochet but can donate funds for wool so I've pm'd Pistey.

Huge hugs to lemontruffles if she's reading. My heart goes out to you x

cheesecheeseplease Sun 06-Jan-13 15:19:25

have just pmd I think, so sorry a blanket is needed, I will knit xx

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sun 06-Jan-13 15:19:44

I'm rather useless when it comes to wool craft, but would like to say i think it's wonderful that you make these blankets for people in their time of need.

Truly inspirational thanks

PiggyPlumPie Sun 06-Jan-13 15:20:59

will PM you Pistey, sad to be joining .....

JustFabulous Sun 06-Jan-13 15:21:01
RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 15:21:53

Thanks puds

cheesecheese, glad to have you on board thank you, you should have a PMd question from me, thank you X

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 15:22:09

YES!!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 15:22:24

Can you get anymore fabulous?!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 15:25:33

Thank you to JustFabulous

Can anyone have a go at this crow pattern? Crows are very significant to lemon and her family. Thank you. Happy to send wool for it.

<fingers crossed>

JustFabulous Sun 06-Jan-13 15:25:33

I will try. Hang on.

JustFabulous Sun 06-Jan-13 15:31:11
GetOnYourDancingShoes Sun 06-Jan-13 16:05:44

Have pm'd Pistey.

I'll have a go at the crow as well <sorts through yarn mountain>

Can donate wool or money x

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 16:10:12

DancingShoes - bless you, crows are really significant to lemon, I have copied part of her thread explaining why in case you haven't seen it. You really are a a star thanks

This morning I took a step into our garden, and watched as 3 crows flew over my head. He loved those crows, his favourite birds, and he watched them every day last year - he couldn't go outside but he loved watching those birds.

Thank you for your research JF - you are a star too

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 16:10:43

Lego - I shall PM you now, thank you for your kind offer thanks

He sounded like a man after my own heart, I love the countryside too and especially North Wales, I am going to have a think, but might try to do some kind of landscape. If I find anything of use pattern wise I shall post it for the thread.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 16:12:42

And I have, you have mail from me, thank you X

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 16:13:28

fan That would be perfect, lemon will be so touched, bless you X

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 16:17:44

Both lovely and ravens are like crows aren't they? <hazy>

Love tribs one as there is more than one bird iyswim

But all beyond me

ravens and crows are very similar, ravens are just bigger really (well for artistic crafty stuff they are), remember though crows and ravens have black beaks and legs if you were going to make them in colour, its blackbirds in this country that have yellow or orange beaks. American crows are different.

So sad that another blanket is need.
Sending you a hug Lemontruffles.

Happy to do a crow, but would need wool. We have had a large unexpected expense this month and have nothing in my stash in the right colours. Will PM you now Pistey.

tribpot Sun 06-Jan-13 16:25:55

Happy to adapt this crow or to do the magpies again.

MarcelineVampireQueen Sun 06-Jan-13 16:34:47

I can crochet some squares if you could please match me with a donor, I live in NWales and there is some lovely countryside but my crochet is pretty basic so I will probably just send some grannies if that is alright. Will PM now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now