Blanket for lemontruffles : lovely crafters, donors, we are calling for your help.

(1038 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 12:22:59

Very sad news I'm afraid. Lemontruffles' husband died this week on New Year's Day after living with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Such devastating news. Our hearts go out to her. In her own words, he was the love of her life.
sad

We have offered to make a blanket for her, and are so pleased that she has said she would love one. She is clearly so very moved by our offer and has said she is astonished at the kindness of strangers. We will all be holding her hand and hope that she will feel the love and support from us all, and that the blanket will bring whatever comfort it can.

Lemontruffles writes so movingly on her thread about her beloved husband, and has shared many memories, bless her heart. her thread is HERE. You will not fail to be moved by the love and warmth of her posts about him.

So to the Woolly Hug, we would be very grateful for your help.

We will need crocheters, knitters and donors (of funds or wool) I will co ordinate and do admin, and Knotty (KnottyLocks) is here and will help you with any queries you may have.

So if you are able to join with us, please PM me, and also if you are offering to donate, or need a donor, I can help match you up.

Thank you so much.
thanks

The wool we are using:
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK (not the Baby cashmerino)
* Rowan Cashsoft DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK.
* Artesano Superwash Merino DK.

Just from these yarns please as they are very similar and we know they can be combined for wash and wear.

4mm crochet hook or knitting needles
6 inch squares

The Colours
Lemontruffles has spoken so movingly about her husband's love for the countryside of North Wales, and to reflect that passion how she sees the blanket as a landscape, so :

Greens, darker purples, blues, silvers, cream.

If going for cream please use Debbie Bliss cashmerino DK 013
(Not bright colours for this please, and no pinks or lilacs, thank you)

Just sharing some of her words about him
He was Welsh and loved the countryside of North Wales especially. He loved walking. He loved going to the pub and having the biggest laugh he could. He had a fantastic sense of humour and he loved having fun. He was warm hearted, he had a spirit of pure generosity - though with a 'sticking point' stubborn streak! - he was no angel. He was very adventurous about life. He was a proper hippy in the 60s and 70s. He had an amazing memory for all sorts of things, and a very wide ranging and strange knowledge of very odd things. Such an interesting man. A man with endless and deep humanity towards all the people he met. He was very well loved. He had a deep maturity and wisdom about other people.

Oh, and music! Not male voice choirs! Rock and blues from the 60s and 70s, and the manic street preachers. He had great taste. Also photographs. He was always photographing things, all sorts of random things, all sorts of bits of nature, and landscapes. He loved his camera.

Suggestions for motifs
* Any motifs of the natural world - trees, leaves, flowers, birds (esp crows )
* Can anyone find a Welsh dragon design or a harp? We'd love to find these for her.
* Anything to reflect he was a Welshman.
* Music, photography related
* We have an initial, could you PM me if this is something you'd like to do.

There are many relevant patterns for knitters and crocheters linked to from our website under Crafting

Reading her words gives us lots of motifs to think about for sure, but please don't feel daunted by these suggestions, we love plain squares and simple textures too. They look as stunning as the more complex squares and actually play a vital role in the overall effect.

Previous blankets can be seen on our website. We also have a Facebook page MNWoollyHugs and are on Twitter @MNWoollyHugs. If you 'like' or 'follow' us you'll be updated on progress via your feed.

As always, we thank you so much for your support.
Thinking of lemontruffles Xx

Pistey and Knotty
thanks

namechangerforaday Sun 06-Jan-13 13:57:52

pancake do you have paypal? I could send you £10 if you could source wool.

Oh, caught me in time Glaikit, I'd cast on 44 and it's 6", but looking at a pic of a previous square it looks like garter stitch expands a bit after casting on - that square is 36 stitches and IIRC that was the only one I've ever managed to getto be 6" square. Thanks!

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 14:01:56

Rosie!!!!!!!!!

KnottyLocks Sun 06-Jan-13 14:02:48

Awww, Rosie smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 14:04:17

Namechanger Just about to PM you and pancakeflipper, can you just hold on for a mo, thank you.

RedRosie Sun 06-Jan-13 14:10:06

Hey all ... A sad occasion to be back, but back nevertheless.

I shall knit a very simple square and look out for the support thread.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 14:10:06

Please also PM me with your lovely offers. It helps us keep track of what's what, I'm worried I will lose or overlook folk as the thread is so busy

thanks

BellaVita Sun 06-Jan-13 14:19:19

Pastry, I have sent something via pay pal.

JustFabulous Sun 06-Jan-13 14:20:43

I am always moved to tears by these threads. I wish I could help but I can't knit and things are tight for a few months.

thanks to you all and condolences to you and your family lemontruffles.

Dutchoma Sun 06-Jan-13 14:27:38

There is also this dragon and it is not only free but done by a friend of mine now living in Canada in difficult circumstances. Can't quite see whether it is do-able, the harp most certainly is. The other dragon seems a bit big to fit into 26 stitches.

Count me in, so very sorry to lemon I have greens and dark purples already, so will try to get some done and send them on with a little hug or two.

MinnieBar Sun 06-Jan-13 14:40:59

Hello to all, good to see you again but sorry it's always under sad circumstances.

Please count me in - may even go back to knitting for this one, and by a pessimistic coincidence I bought some dark purple Debbie Bliss earlier this week, because I thought 'there will probably be a need for it soon'. sad

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 14:41:49

Smashing fan thanks

Lovely Oma, thank you for looking, all this knitting is beyond me so I have no idea. Will you be able to have a go at the harp?

No apologies JustFabulous Big hugs for you X

Time for more lovely folk to be thanked. More donations have arrived safely and we are so grateful for your generosity and thoughtfulness. thanks

thanks BellaVita

thanks namechangerforaday

thanksthanksthanks Plus three who left no MN name, but huge thanks to you too.

You are all stars

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 14:42:44

Bella has just called me 'Pastry' and I'm trying to low carb smile

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Sun 06-Jan-13 14:46:15

So sorry to hear this.

If another wibbly crocheted square would fit the bill, please count me in. I would be grateful for some donor wool though as things still a bit tight at the moment.

rubyrubyruby Sun 06-Jan-13 14:48:07

I have my first crochet lesson next week <<gulp>>

Count me in x
So sad sad

BellaVita Sun 06-Jan-13 14:51:31

Bloody auto correct grin tis what happens when using new gadgets - it doesn't know the names of my friends [grin[

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 14:51:36

Trazzle - Big hugs to you and most definitely we want your lovely crochet. Thank you thanks We will sort you out.

And rubyrubyruby - you're in. Good luck with the lesson, and thank you thanks

BellaVita Sun 06-Jan-13 14:52:49

Oh fgs grin sausage fingers.

JustFabulous Sun 06-Jan-13 14:54:45

Can I ask how much a ball of wool actually costs and if a cheque is an okay way to pay? Unfortunately I know there will be the need for another blanket and maybe I could save up blush.

landofsoapandglory Sun 06-Jan-13 14:58:41

I've PM'ed you Pistey.

I'll knit, and am quite happy to get my own wool.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 15:08:48

JustFabulous You are as your name implies, just fabulous. Any contribution helps towards a blanket, even a penny. It all adds up and all helps. You ask about a ball of wool. I have some here we bought when it was on sale for £4.10. So with postage it would be £6.40. But anything however small really does help, not just saying that X

And thank you

thanks

SarahStratton Sun 06-Jan-13 15:10:57

I'd like to donate please, if you could match me up.

Oma, that's the dragon pattern I'm trying to size down but do in knit and purl instead of intarsia. So far not so good. But I'll persevere.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 15:13:54

Stratters You are a star, just coming to you my lovely, thank you thanks

Bless you Fizzy X

If anyone can source a crow design, that would be fabulous

thanksthanksthanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now