Blanket for lemontruffles : lovely crafters, donors, we are calling for your help.

(1039 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 06-Jan-13 12:22:59

Very sad news I'm afraid. Lemontruffles' husband died this week on New Year's Day after living with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Such devastating news. Our hearts go out to her. In her own words, he was the love of her life.
sad

We have offered to make a blanket for her, and are so pleased that she has said she would love one. She is clearly so very moved by our offer and has said she is astonished at the kindness of strangers. We will all be holding her hand and hope that she will feel the love and support from us all, and that the blanket will bring whatever comfort it can.

Lemontruffles writes so movingly on her thread about her beloved husband, and has shared many memories, bless her heart. her thread is HERE. You will not fail to be moved by the love and warmth of her posts about him.

So to the Woolly Hug, we would be very grateful for your help.

We will need crocheters, knitters and donors (of funds or wool) I will co ordinate and do admin, and Knotty (KnottyLocks) is here and will help you with any queries you may have.

So if you are able to join with us, please PM me, and also if you are offering to donate, or need a donor, I can help match you up.

Thank you so much.
thanks

The wool we are using:
* Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK (not the Baby cashmerino)
* Rowan Cashsoft DK
* Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK.
* Artesano Superwash Merino DK.

Just from these yarns please as they are very similar and we know they can be combined for wash and wear.

4mm crochet hook or knitting needles
6 inch squares

The Colours
Lemontruffles has spoken so movingly about her husband's love for the countryside of North Wales, and to reflect that passion how she sees the blanket as a landscape, so :

Greens, darker purples, blues, silvers, cream.

If going for cream please use Debbie Bliss cashmerino DK 013
(Not bright colours for this please, and no pinks or lilacs, thank you)

Just sharing some of her words about him
He was Welsh and loved the countryside of North Wales especially. He loved walking. He loved going to the pub and having the biggest laugh he could. He had a fantastic sense of humour and he loved having fun. He was warm hearted, he had a spirit of pure generosity - though with a 'sticking point' stubborn streak! - he was no angel. He was very adventurous about life. He was a proper hippy in the 60s and 70s. He had an amazing memory for all sorts of things, and a very wide ranging and strange knowledge of very odd things. Such an interesting man. A man with endless and deep humanity towards all the people he met. He was very well loved. He had a deep maturity and wisdom about other people.

Oh, and music! Not male voice choirs! Rock and blues from the 60s and 70s, and the manic street preachers. He had great taste. Also photographs. He was always photographing things, all sorts of random things, all sorts of bits of nature, and landscapes. He loved his camera.

Suggestions for motifs
* Any motifs of the natural world - trees, leaves, flowers, birds (esp crows )
* Can anyone find a Welsh dragon design or a harp? We'd love to find these for her.
* Anything to reflect he was a Welshman.
* Music, photography related
* We have an initial, could you PM me if this is something you'd like to do.

There are many relevant patterns for knitters and crocheters linked to from our website under Crafting

Reading her words gives us lots of motifs to think about for sure, but please don't feel daunted by these suggestions, we love plain squares and simple textures too. They look as stunning as the more complex squares and actually play a vital role in the overall effect.

Previous blankets can be seen on our website. We also have a Facebook page MNWoollyHugs and are on Twitter @MNWoollyHugs. If you 'like' or 'follow' us you'll be updated on progress via your feed.

As always, we thank you so much for your support.
Thinking of lemontruffles Xx

Pistey and Knotty
thanks

MinnieBar Wed 09-Jan-13 15:08:22

Oh bolleaux. I've just realised, that even if someone had some leftover wool in that shade that there's no point me finishing it off is there, because as it's now discontinued there wouldn't be any other squares in the same colour, and it would stand out like the proverbial sore thumb.
Boo, hiss....

PastaDee Wed 09-Jan-13 15:25:58

Ordered from Cucumber Patch Monday morning, wooly parcel waiting for me after work yesterday, chased DD round a soft play centre this morning to tire her out which gave me time to crochet my first square for this blanket! smile

cheesecheeseplease Wed 09-Jan-13 15:37:18

wool is here! thankyou to my lovely donor, have found a pattern now how do I cast on again?

RiaOverTheRainbow Wed 09-Jan-13 16:25:24

My wool arrived today, a lovely plum purple, thank you! thanks

HaveToWearHeels Wed 09-Jan-13 16:29:23

My wool has also arrived thank you Pistey (I think, 'tis in a green bag ?) gorgeous, cream and green, which I am really pleased with as I have my eye on a leaf design. Will be starting tonight as I have spent the day washing and packing as off to Estonia on Friday for 4 days (minus DD).

HaveToWearHeels Wed 09-Jan-13 16:30:38

cheesecheese YouTube will help.

Minnie, I think I have a ball and a half of that pink. Let me take a pic, see if you think it's the same one. I'm not particularly keen on it myself, it kind of hurts my eyes when I knit with it.

for minnie

Found my receipt and its shade 27 rose pink if that helps at all?

NoWayNoHow Wed 09-Jan-13 17:38:13

Thank you to my lovely kind donor - my wool arrived today! thanks thanks thanks

Beautiful evergreen colour DK wool - will get knitting soon!

MinnieBar Wed 09-Jan-13 17:45:33

That could be it Fizzy - I don't have the details anymore, so I don't know the number.

Yy to it being eye-hurtingly bright - it's pretty much a Barbie pink. I think I got it for maybe Expat's blanket?

On second thoughts, if I open both our photos next to each other they maybe look a bit different.... aaarghh, don't know....

tribpot Wed 09-Jan-13 18:13:35

I think given Glaikit's half blind from looking at this pink yarn, she might as well send it to Minnie. If it doesn't match with the rest of the square, Minnie can use it to blind the good people of her town in the future.

Perhaps a candidate for a mini-hug, Minnie? (Minnie-hug?)

My lovely green wool arrived today, thanks to my lovely donor!

I'm in awe of the organisation skills that pistey and knotty obviously possess, fabulous work ladies!

Will I send you the little half bit? That should be enough to finish the square of its the right colour. AnDi can't really see me using it maybe with sun glasses on

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 09-Jan-13 18:35:51

Evening all wine

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 09-Jan-13 18:36:18

Obviously if BIWI is knocking about that just says

Evening all

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 09-Jan-13 18:37:47

Just away to PMs, thank you everyone.

And not wishing to alarm anyone but we will have first thank yous to crafters later, the first squares have arrived smile shock smile

Pistey the dusty donkey has landed!

MNPin2013 Wed 09-Jan-13 18:59:29

Wool arrived today predictably whilst I was out from 10-6, will collect it tomorrow and start on a square ASAP.

I have the red card of doom through my letter box today. So it's either wooly wool or the ink for the new printer!

KnottyLocks Wed 09-Jan-13 21:02:16

Minnie, if you want to send me a teeny bit of that wool, I suspect I have a smidge in my stash that may do the job.

Oh, and don't worry about it not fitting in anywhere...I have ways wink <mysterious>

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 09-Jan-13 21:06:02

And back in the room smile

Thank yous tonight.

Two lovely donors to thank, you have done so well as your woolly donations have already arrived safely with your crafters, huge thanks for you kindness and generosity thanks

thanks Amberleaf

thanks IHopeYouStepOnALegoBrick

You are both stars thanksthanksthanks

And not wishing to alarm anyone, we have the first of the squares for lemon.

smile

thanks SoupDragon Just so beautiful, one is a landscape, I have been to North Wales and this is it! Soupy you are a star. Two other lovely crocheted squares, a circle to square and beautiful flower. [star]

thanks Woolfey Two beautiful crocheted squares, one a beautiful granny the other a quartered design. Just smashing [star]

Thank you to everyone for your support thanksthanksthanks

AmberLeaf Wed 09-Jan-13 21:38:22

You're welcome flowers

Wow that was quick! Glad it arrived safely x

MNPin2013 Wed 09-Jan-13 22:58:54

Would love to see the squares individually as they arrive...nosey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now