Woolly Hugs: Little Hugs for Little People. Crafting continued!

(982 Posts)
KnottyLocks Thu 18-Oct-12 18:16:22

Our project launch thread can be found here

This is an ongoing project. Thanks to the amazing efforts of crafters and donors, to date we have received 38 wonderful Little Hugs. Our first batch have been sent to Yorkhill Hospital today smile

Photographs of our Little Hugs can be found on our Woolly Hugs website and on our Facebook page, MNWoollyHugs.

The basic aim is to provide little blankets and quilts that give comfort to babies and small children who are seriously ill in hospital.

This is the continuation of Phase 1 of the project.
We are developing contacts for future phases.

How you can get involved:

You can help by either making a complete Little Hug
Or
By making 6" squares using Stylecraft Special DK yarn or Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, Rowan Cashsoft DK and Sublime Extra Fine Merino wool DK

For all of the Little Hugs:

Minimum size: 18 inches by 18 inches
For example, that's 3x3 6 inch squares with a small edge.
If you would like to make a blanket or quilt that is bigger, that would be lovely too.

Colours: Your choice!
We'd like to be able to provide a range of Little Hugs suitable for boys and girls.
If you would like to make something specifically for a boy or girl, that would also be lovely.

Things to avoid:
Buttons
Sequins and beads
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.
If using applique, it needs to be firmly stitched on with no hard edges.

Materials and ideas:
Woolly Blankets:
Suggested yarn: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic that is a very reasonable £1.60 - £2 for 100g ball.
Pure cotton DK
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight yarn and a yarn other than those above. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be machine washed.
Ideas:
Blankets could be made from squares stitched or hooked together
Granny stripes or ripples
They could be made in one piece or in blocks, as well as squares

Quilts and stitched blankets:
Pure cotton and good quality fleece. The cotton can be from recycled sources.
We suggest that you wash both separately before sewing to allow for any difference in shrinkage.
Ideas:
Traditional style quilts, from simple square designs to more complex patterns
Cotton edged fleeces, with or without appliqué
Quilt and fleece combination: quilted front with a fleece back

Donors:
If you would like to contribute towards materials, you can either donate via Paypal here on our Woolly Hugs website with a message letting us know which project you are donating to. If you do not have Paypal, please PM RatherBeOnThePiste as we have other ways that you can donate.
Without our donors, our projects really wouldn't happen. You are as vital to them as the crafters and materials. Bless you. smile

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support thanks

KnottyLocks Wed 30-Jan-13 07:24:24

Big gentle hug from me too, Trazzles x

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 30-Jan-13 16:28:42

Afternoon all [brew smile

Beautiful Little Hugs arriving safely today from the lovely Woolfey and the lovely TrainersNot Heels. Both just absolutely lovely. thanks

thanksthanksthanks A HUGE thank you to them both, the photos are already on Facebook, just about to put them on the website too X

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Jacksmania Fri 01-Feb-13 06:22:59

My huge whopping Deramores wool order has arrived!!!!
I'm so excited. Can't wait to get started smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 01-Feb-13 06:57:19

Morning smile

Jacks That will keep you out of mischief!

KnottyLocks Fri 01-Feb-13 09:07:23

In theory grin

Jacksmania Fri 01-Feb-13 15:51:37

Ahem grin

Do you lot know something about me that I don't?

<waves wand and intones "I solemnly swear that I am up to No Good>

Jacksmania Fri 01-Feb-13 15:52:29

Um, that wand should obviously have been a crochet hook.

Jacksmania Sun 03-Feb-13 19:18:50

Goodness, did I break the thread??

KnottyLocks Sun 03-Feb-13 19:39:42

You're rather dangerous with that hook, Jacks grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 03-Feb-13 22:08:25

Evening wine

wanting Mon 04-Feb-13 01:17:01

I think it is difficult to make crochet. I love your work, they are cute and beautiful.

Jacksmania Mon 04-Feb-13 05:43:04

Late evening wine here, too.

KnottyLocks Mon 04-Feb-13 07:03:12

Thank you, Wanting smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 04-Feb-13 07:47:59

Morning wine

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 04-Feb-13 07:48:30

FGS brew grin

I would prefer the wine

AnyaKnowIt Mon 04-Feb-13 12:37:26

Right, I've got my wool and my glasses grin

I've managed to do a couple of squares but I've been given a pattern book and have been trying to do a few. I'm ok reading the patterns and the different stitches but am really struggling, I think, with my tension. I'm using the DK wool and a size 4 hook. Working in the round I'm fine its when I start working in rows that it grows.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong?

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 04-Feb-13 12:39:58

I find working in rows really difficult to keep square, I feel your pain. I tend to go into the wrong place so either add in or remove stitches.

DK wool and a 4 are the right combination though.

Any chance of a photo?

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 04-Feb-13 12:40:07

and thank you Anya!

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 04-Feb-13 12:43:06

Don't think lots of folk saw yesterday, but we had a lovely message from expat, have just copied it below..

"One of the children Aillidh came to know in her unit is the happy owner of a wooly hug now! Much love xx."

It is great to think of children at Yorkhill being comforted by our Little Hugs, that could be anyone's from Batch one or two, we will never know whose, but that doesn't really matter, it was one of our Hugs. <teary>

Sending much love to expat, and always thinking of the beautiful and inspirational Aillidh Xx

AnyaKnowIt Mon 04-Feb-13 12:47:46

Just seen that message on fb smile

Photo is now hopefully on profile

I am weeping at that <overtired and hormonal> ds is being exceptionally cuddly just now and it makes me want to weep more.

Jacksmania Mon 04-Feb-13 18:17:25

Morning wine

grin

I have a cuper-cuddly DS too. He's going to be 5 next week <mind blows>.
I hate always feeling like we're rushed in the morning, because he'll cling to me in bed (he usually crawls in at some point in the night) and say "cuddle!! CUDDLE!!" I'm already dreading when he won't want to anymore, or get too big... this is my favourite age so far. It's all been great mostly but he's so cute and fun and sweet at this age and of course a right little shit on occasion, as he should be, anything else wouldn't be normal. Sigh.

As soon as I've waded through all my taxes I'm going to start on a Little Hug.

I'm spamming the wooly threads with this crochet pattern

This has to be included in a woolly hug somewhere!

Trazzletoes Tue 05-Feb-13 13:59:46

Fizzy I was not far out with the pretzels grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now