Woolly Hugs: Little Hugs for Little People. Crafting continued!

(982 Posts)
KnottyLocks Thu 18-Oct-12 18:16:22

Our project launch thread can be found here

This is an ongoing project. Thanks to the amazing efforts of crafters and donors, to date we have received 38 wonderful Little Hugs. Our first batch have been sent to Yorkhill Hospital today smile

Photographs of our Little Hugs can be found on our Woolly Hugs website and on our Facebook page, MNWoollyHugs.

The basic aim is to provide little blankets and quilts that give comfort to babies and small children who are seriously ill in hospital.

This is the continuation of Phase 1 of the project.
We are developing contacts for future phases.

How you can get involved:

You can help by either making a complete Little Hug
Or
By making 6" squares using Stylecraft Special DK yarn or Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, Rowan Cashsoft DK and Sublime Extra Fine Merino wool DK

For all of the Little Hugs:

Minimum size: 18 inches by 18 inches
For example, that's 3x3 6 inch squares with a small edge.
If you would like to make a blanket or quilt that is bigger, that would be lovely too.

Colours: Your choice!
We'd like to be able to provide a range of Little Hugs suitable for boys and girls.
If you would like to make something specifically for a boy or girl, that would also be lovely.

Things to avoid:
Buttons
Sequins and beads
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.
If using applique, it needs to be firmly stitched on with no hard edges.

Materials and ideas:
Woolly Blankets:
Suggested yarn: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic that is a very reasonable £1.60 - £2 for 100g ball.
Pure cotton DK
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight yarn and a yarn other than those above. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be machine washed.
Ideas:
Blankets could be made from squares stitched or hooked together
Granny stripes or ripples
They could be made in one piece or in blocks, as well as squares

Quilts and stitched blankets:
Pure cotton and good quality fleece. The cotton can be from recycled sources.
We suggest that you wash both separately before sewing to allow for any difference in shrinkage.
Ideas:
Traditional style quilts, from simple square designs to more complex patterns
Cotton edged fleeces, with or without appliqué
Quilt and fleece combination: quilted front with a fleece back

Donors:
If you would like to contribute towards materials, you can either donate via Paypal here on our Woolly Hugs website with a message letting us know which project you are donating to. If you do not have Paypal, please PM RatherBeOnThePiste as we have other ways that you can donate.
Without our donors, our projects really wouldn't happen. You are as vital to them as the crafters and materials. Bless you. smile

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 25-Jan-13 10:37:55

Morning all smile

Just to say that Praying4Beatrice has put a photo on her profile of Beatrice with her Little Hug

Bless her, twas a thoughtful thing to do, and bless Beatrice, she is adorable.

GlaikitCheiftanOThePuddinRace Fri 25-Jan-13 11:48:07

Oh god, I should have caught up with the thread before posting inane smilies. I'm sorry. Fan, its beautiful, so lovely of you to donate it, I'm sure it will be cherished by the family who receive it.

nickelbabe Fri 25-Jan-13 11:51:25

Fan - what a beautiful thing to do smile

I think i might have something rather sharp and watery in my eye.

KnottyLocks Fri 25-Jan-13 12:47:31

Oh Fan , bless you. X

Thinking of you and Ophelia.

Somersaults Sat 26-Jan-13 18:33:40

The squares arrived nickel! I think they arrived today but we didn't notice them when we picked up th rest of the post as the postie had tucked the box neatly under the shelf in our porch! So it might have been yesterday or even before! Anyway, I'm going to finish lemon's squares and then I will start. Amongst finishing DD's little blanket too.

nickelbabe Sat 26-Jan-13 21:16:20

ooh lovely.
as I said before they do need to be washed- but I suppose tgat can be done after joining.

I hope it isn't too much hassle for you. thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 27-Jan-13 08:59:57

Really looking forward to seeing this blanket smile

Morning all brew

Somersaults Sun 27-Jan-13 20:49:47

No hassle as long as there is no great rush! I need to get my head round arranging the many many colour ways into a pattern next. I really am looking forward to the challenge of hooking together a bigger blanket than I've done before.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 28-Jan-13 16:56:53

Afternoon brew

nickelbabe Mon 28-Jan-13 17:08:02

brew

(i could do with a real life person doing that for me)

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Tue 29-Jan-13 10:29:38

You've managed to tempt me into joining Ravelry. I can see many more hours wasted productively spent on t'internet. grin I'm Ellen-Jane on there and I've added a picture of my little hug to the Woolly Hugs group.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 29-Jan-13 16:50:09

thanks thanks Fizzy's Dragon has arrived - he is gorgeous!! And a beautiful Little Hug too from the lovely MOSAgain thanks thanks

Huge thanks to you both, just marvellous thanks thanks

I saw the dragon earlier in his development, and he was a very handsome beast then.

Aw schucks folks, all the nice comments on FB have made me blush

In reality he didn't take long to make, I could do more once I'm finished the one for ds.

What do you think pistey?

nickelbabe Tue 29-Jan-13 19:10:06

now I feel so guilty for giving up on the tiger. sad
there will be a tiger, just later.

dragon is a work of art fizzy. smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 29-Jan-13 19:35:02

My children wanted to know the dragon's name, so in the absence of anything else, we have named him/her Fizzy. smile

My daughter saw him and said....

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwheeeeeeeeeeesooooooooooocuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute

and she is 15 grin

Fizzy, that would be lovely if you are sure thanks

Called him puff, ds called him Dada confused But fizzy seems apt! This is the pattern for him

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 29-Jan-13 19:56:28

Arf at dada grin

Thanks for the link, I'll go and add it to our Guide thanks

HoggyTruffle Tue 29-Jan-13 21:01:38

One Little Hug completed with a slightly frilly border.

I'll hold on to it for now if there isn't a deadline soon as I am busy wrestling with a ripple pattern to make a Billie's Blanket <strokes lovely Stylecraft balls of wool, glares at the pesky crochet pattern>

KnottyLocks Tue 29-Jan-13 21:13:52

Yes please, Fizzy! Another dragon would be perfect for me

Wolfcub Wed 30-Jan-13 06:53:11

fizzy the dragon is absolutely amazing

Trazzletoes Wed 30-Jan-13 06:55:50

Hi!

That dragon is incredible! <jealous of skillz>

I'm sorry but have completely lost the link for Lemon's blanket thread. I can't find it aaaaaaaaaaanywhere!

Pretty please could someone post a link? Thank youuuuuuuuu.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 30-Jan-13 06:57:47

Morning lovely Trazz, two ticks X

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 30-Jan-13 06:59:01

Lemon's thread is here Trazzle

Big hugs for you, very small gentle ones for your beautiful boy X

Trazzletoes Wed 30-Jan-13 07:00:35

Thanks!

Yes, he's not terribly robust at the mo but ill pass a gentle cuddle on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now