Woolly Hugs: Little Hugs for Little People. Crafting continued!

(982 Posts)
KnottyLocks Thu 18-Oct-12 18:16:22

Our project launch thread can be found here

This is an ongoing project. Thanks to the amazing efforts of crafters and donors, to date we have received 38 wonderful Little Hugs. Our first batch have been sent to Yorkhill Hospital today smile

Photographs of our Little Hugs can be found on our Woolly Hugs website and on our Facebook page, MNWoollyHugs.

The basic aim is to provide little blankets and quilts that give comfort to babies and small children who are seriously ill in hospital.

This is the continuation of Phase 1 of the project.
We are developing contacts for future phases.

How you can get involved:

You can help by either making a complete Little Hug
Or
By making 6" squares using Stylecraft Special DK yarn or Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, Rowan Cashsoft DK and Sublime Extra Fine Merino wool DK

For all of the Little Hugs:

Minimum size: 18 inches by 18 inches
For example, that's 3x3 6 inch squares with a small edge.
If you would like to make a blanket or quilt that is bigger, that would be lovely too.

Colours: Your choice!
We'd like to be able to provide a range of Little Hugs suitable for boys and girls.
If you would like to make something specifically for a boy or girl, that would also be lovely.

Things to avoid:
Buttons
Sequins and beads
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.
If using applique, it needs to be firmly stitched on with no hard edges.

Materials and ideas:
Woolly Blankets:
Suggested yarn: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic that is a very reasonable £1.60 - £2 for 100g ball.
Pure cotton DK
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight yarn and a yarn other than those above. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be machine washed.
Ideas:
Blankets could be made from squares stitched or hooked together
Granny stripes or ripples
They could be made in one piece or in blocks, as well as squares

Quilts and stitched blankets:
Pure cotton and good quality fleece. The cotton can be from recycled sources.
We suggest that you wash both separately before sewing to allow for any difference in shrinkage.
Ideas:
Traditional style quilts, from simple square designs to more complex patterns
Cotton edged fleeces, with or without appliqué
Quilt and fleece combination: quilted front with a fleece back

Donors:
If you would like to contribute towards materials, you can either donate via Paypal here on our Woolly Hugs website with a message letting us know which project you are donating to. If you do not have Paypal, please PM RatherBeOnThePiste as we have other ways that you can donate.
Without our donors, our projects really wouldn't happen. You are as vital to them as the crafters and materials. Bless you. smile

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support thanks

KnottyLocks Fri 18-Jan-13 14:30:21

Ha ha Miss Brodie Glaikit, I didn't think it was you, honest.

I'm sure she's a lovely lady anyway, whomever she is, but she sure is Unveiled. grin

HoggyTruffle Fri 18-Jan-13 14:32:58

Do hurry. I have an appointment with a snowball fight at 3:20.

KnottyLocks Fri 18-Jan-13 14:36:41

Hoggy, click on my words in previous post!

hooray, very worthy cause. Will still be supporting Little hugs still be going to Yorkhill ? Do we need to specify when sending which they are for ?

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 18-Jan-13 15:19:26

We are very much still supporting Yorkhill.

When you have a blanket to post we will ask that you make it clear which project it is for. Rather like we do with the squares.

Huge thanks to all thanks

great, as I have a Little Hug on the go and it will be too small to be a Billies Blanket.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 19-Jan-13 07:51:11

Morning all brew

A lovely Little Hug arrived yesterday from Jacquie, huge thanks to her, as soon as it is light I will take a photo, thank you so much thanks

Heels Thank you X

nickelbabe Sat 19-Jan-13 23:09:47

Right.

My mum has just given me 18 x 4 squares of the 4" variety. (ie 72 squares which have 18 repeats with 4 of each repeat)
She has also provided me with wool of the same for purposes of joining together.

I can't join together, unless you want it to be wrap and fall apart so can i please have a volunteer for me to send these squares to?

She's a smoker so they will need to be washed.

nickelbabe Sat 19-Jan-13 23:11:12

She was going to make a waistcoat but ran out of wool.
I was telling her about little hugs and she immediately jumped up and started throwing them at me grin

Somersaults Sat 19-Jan-13 23:29:20

I will join as long as they are crochet (because i know how to do that but knitted would be a new challenge) and that there is no immediate deadline. Hooking time is not as frequent as it used to be as work seems to be getting in the way a lot lately. But I'm happy to help out if no one bett qualified comes along!

Somersaults Sat 19-Jan-13 23:29:32

*better

nickelbabe Sat 19-Jan-13 23:35:29

Ooh thank you.
Yes they are crochet .

If it's okay could you please pm your address and i will send them to you?
thanks

nickelbabe Sat 19-Jan-13 23:39:54

Oops. There are 14 x4 (56 squares)
It makes a blanket of 36" x 28"

nickelbabe Sat 19-Jan-13 23:42:12

32 x 28
blush

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 20-Jan-13 09:37:06

Morning all brew

Thank you Nickel - are you sure you want to donate these my lovely?
But thank you for the offer somersaults, that is very kind of you.

Snowing again here, hope everyone keeps warm smile thanks

KnottyLocks Sun 20-Jan-13 09:52:47

Morning all smile

Oh bless your mum, Nickel. Please pass on a big [star] from us .

Somer, big thanks to you too. smile thanks

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 21-Jan-13 09:28:04

Morning brew

Somersaults Mon 21-Jan-13 09:41:51

A snowy morning at that!

MrsPennyapple Mon 21-Jan-13 13:01:31

Some squares parcelled up ready to go to the post office - I've a feeling I've missed the deadline but they can go in the next batch if necessary.

Hope everyone is staying warm.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 21-Jan-13 13:13:03

Thank you MrsP - this really is an ongoing project thanks

Arriving today from the lovely Wolfcub, a beautiful crocheted Little Hug in gorgeous stylecraft colours, really lovely colour mix, a huge thank you to her

thanks

Pictures already on Facebook thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Wolfcub Mon 21-Jan-13 13:18:42

glad it got there ok, sorry about the lack of note I was rushing to sew ends in in time to get ds to swimming class and forgot hence the scribble on the envelope

MrsPennyapple Mon 21-Jan-13 14:09:04

Just as well it's ongoing Pistey as I had two of them ready but missed the previous posting deadline too! I had planned to go to the post office on Friday but the sideways snow persuaded me otherwise. Anyway, they're on their way now smile

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Mon 21-Jan-13 14:56:28

Ok, I've been stuck in without my boys who have been with their dad for the whole snowy weekend sad so I raided my stash of Stylecraft and have enough for a small little hug, about 20" square. Are you still wanting these? It's too small and too cream for your new project, Billie's hugs, but I'm inspired to make one for this as well, now. (And maybe an Angel Hug as well.) I can't afford the lovely cashmerino wool due to very recent divorce, but I can run to Stylecraft. smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 21-Jan-13 14:58:28

Yes please Ellen our project for Yorkhill is still ongoing, and it sounds perfect for that, thank you thanksthanksthanksthanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now