Woolly Hugs: Little Hugs for Little People. Crafting continued!

(982 Posts)
KnottyLocks Thu 18-Oct-12 18:16:22

Our project launch thread can be found here

This is an ongoing project. Thanks to the amazing efforts of crafters and donors, to date we have received 38 wonderful Little Hugs. Our first batch have been sent to Yorkhill Hospital today smile

Photographs of our Little Hugs can be found on our Woolly Hugs website and on our Facebook page, MNWoollyHugs.

The basic aim is to provide little blankets and quilts that give comfort to babies and small children who are seriously ill in hospital.

This is the continuation of Phase 1 of the project.
We are developing contacts for future phases.

How you can get involved:

You can help by either making a complete Little Hug
Or
By making 6" squares using Stylecraft Special DK yarn or Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, Rowan Cashsoft DK and Sublime Extra Fine Merino wool DK

For all of the Little Hugs:

Minimum size: 18 inches by 18 inches
For example, that's 3x3 6 inch squares with a small edge.
If you would like to make a blanket or quilt that is bigger, that would be lovely too.

Colours: Your choice!
We'd like to be able to provide a range of Little Hugs suitable for boys and girls.
If you would like to make something specifically for a boy or girl, that would also be lovely.

Things to avoid:
Buttons
Sequins and beads
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.
If using applique, it needs to be firmly stitched on with no hard edges.

Materials and ideas:
Woolly Blankets:
Suggested yarn: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic that is a very reasonable £1.60 - £2 for 100g ball.
Pure cotton DK
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight yarn and a yarn other than those above. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be machine washed.
Ideas:
Blankets could be made from squares stitched or hooked together
Granny stripes or ripples
They could be made in one piece or in blocks, as well as squares

Quilts and stitched blankets:
Pure cotton and good quality fleece. The cotton can be from recycled sources.
We suggest that you wash both separately before sewing to allow for any difference in shrinkage.
Ideas:
Traditional style quilts, from simple square designs to more complex patterns
Cotton edged fleeces, with or without appliqué
Quilt and fleece combination: quilted front with a fleece back

Donors:
If you would like to contribute towards materials, you can either donate via Paypal here on our Woolly Hugs website with a message letting us know which project you are donating to. If you do not have Paypal, please PM RatherBeOnThePiste as we have other ways that you can donate.
Without our donors, our projects really wouldn't happen. You are as vital to them as the crafters and materials. Bless you. smile

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support thanks

prettybird Fri 19-Oct-12 10:41:45

Marking my place wine

workhouse Fri 19-Oct-12 10:49:31

Thanks Knottylocks, I will have a bit of a browse around Kemps and Blacksheep and the other big wool sites tonight. With a nice wine of course smile

GlaikitFizZombie Fri 19-Oct-12 11:47:23

Waiting for my car. So doing some shopping online. Should I get the attic24 pack?? The shipping on country crafts is £8.30 which makes it dearer that deramores. Unless anyone has a code? The 20% off isn't working anymore.

And I did promise myself after 2 little hugs I'd treat myself!

SoupDragon Fri 19-Oct-12 11:51:22

Of course you should get the Attic24 pack plus whatever you need to make it up to free shipping.

SoupDragon Fri 19-Oct-12 11:53:37

Masons comes out at £29.50 incl shipping. Assuming you're in the UK.

SoupDragon Fri 19-Oct-12 11:54:37

RAV2012 gives 10% off at Deramores.

GlaikitFizZombie Fri 19-Oct-12 12:07:47

Hee hee! I've got that buzzy feeling you get when your just done something you probably shouldn't have! I'm getting a free book from deramores, and country crafts don't do free shipping and are on holiday until next week, so I'm afraid deramores got my order!!

They have a 15% off code this week for any wool blend yarn for wool week LOVEWOOL obviously didn't work for the systole craft as its a relic, but if anyone else is looking for woolly loveliness maybe have a look <bad influence> spend over £25 to get a free book, I've no idea what book it is but it's free <sucker>

GlaikitFizZombie Fri 19-Oct-12 12:08:55

No no no stop with the codes now I've ordered <fingers in ears> la la la la la. grin

SoupDragon Fri 19-Oct-12 12:10:30

Meh... just order more using the code...

GlaikitFizZombie Fri 19-Oct-12 12:12:16

Ah well! £3 isn't a huge amount anyway. And I'm getting a free book!

I'm waiting for my donor wool from the amazing, whatevertheweather we are tag teaming the little hugs, and she has chosen the wool, I just have to come up with the blanket.

I have wool stashed in lots of places, currently making a pair of gloves for DH and searching for wool to make him a beard. Also just finished my5boys square it will be sent off shortly.

Dh will call it knitting though, I crochet, he thinks its funny. And actually said yesterday that crochet was knitting and we should call it knitting and stop trying to be different.

KnottyLocks Fri 19-Oct-12 13:02:12

Fan, that is what DH does : thinks it funny. I haven't actually told him crochet is also called hooking or he'd be unflippingbearable.

nickeldaisical Fri 19-Oct-12 13:31:58

signing in!

nickeldaisical Fri 19-Oct-12 13:39:26

i managed to get a whole row done last night while ignoring DD's whingeing

i think i should have gone for a square, because it really doesn't look like a blanket now. sad

the tiger bit in the middle looks okay, but the blanket part looks a total mess 9baggy and frilly rather than square and flat).
i don't know what to do. do i carry on and hope it looks workable? or do I just stop and start again doing a tiger square like Pidj posted?

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 19-Oct-12 14:13:53

Well, good news, the Little Hugs have been delivered to Yorkhill Children's Foundation!! I am feeling a combination of delight and relief grin

And now I feel I need to share the term 'hooker' with MrKnots <arf>

Nickel - I don't really know what to say, sorry am useless sad

Could you post a pic and let one of the experts take a look, and see if they have any advice?

nickeldaisical Fri 19-Oct-12 14:55:57

grin that the first blankets have arrived! grin

I think I might just finish it and then do an orange and black stripey one for the next one.
Not ripples, just plain.
(but in rows, I think)(with a border)

then send the tiger one anyway and see what you think.

I've left it at home so can't photo, but will try to bring it tomorrow and upload then

PurplePidjInAPointyHat Fri 19-Oct-12 15:21:30

Yay that they've arrived safely <flashback to drama of Edgar's getting list in a Royal Fail warehouse for a week>

And yay, I finished my celestial border. Just need to get round to going to the PO now...

CamperWidow Fri 19-Oct-12 16:49:19

Clicking in! Got to finish a scarf for a friends little boy - tractor treads! - and hubby has decided he wants a jigsaw blanket for the Camper, but I am determined to do some squares to add some variety in what I'm doing!!!

Somersaults Fri 19-Oct-12 19:43:32

Yay! Little Hugs have landed!

And DH can apparently knit. But he knits very tightly, so he tells me!

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 19-Oct-12 19:54:02

Look forward to receiving a square from him smile

Somersaults Fri 19-Oct-12 20:48:46

Hmmmm. I wouldn't hold your breath. He moans he doesn't get enough hobby time for his own hobbies as it is!

Although I think he appreciates that the squares are a great thing to do. I just think he thinks I do them on his behalf too!

HappyTurquoise Fri 19-Oct-12 20:50:40

wine Cheers to everyone who made a little hug that made it onto the first batch!

Mirage Fri 19-Oct-12 20:53:16

Has my box turned up yet? I posted it on Monday.

HappyTurquoise Fri 19-Oct-12 21:02:13

I posted on Wednesday second class, so it will be another day or two.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 19-Oct-12 21:35:42

Evening wine Worry not smile and heartfelt thanks thanks

Lovely Little Hugs arriving safely today - do check MNWoollyHugs on Facebook to see their photos... Many thanks

thanks HappyTurquoise Beautiful sunny crochet, just gorgeoise thanks

thanks TheWonderfulFanny Super snuggly Little Hug in cotton, cream beige and red thanks

And yes Mirage Huge thanks. Safely here, your thanks are on the crafting for Yorkhill's fundraiser thread which is here It was certainly a boxful of treasure, and all arrived in tact smile Pictures too on our Facebook page, do have a look.

And thank you X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now