Woolly Hugs: Little Hugs for Little People. Crafting continued!

(982 Posts)
KnottyLocks Thu 18-Oct-12 18:16:22

Our project launch thread can be found here

This is an ongoing project. Thanks to the amazing efforts of crafters and donors, to date we have received 38 wonderful Little Hugs. Our first batch have been sent to Yorkhill Hospital today smile

Photographs of our Little Hugs can be found on our Woolly Hugs website and on our Facebook page, MNWoollyHugs.

The basic aim is to provide little blankets and quilts that give comfort to babies and small children who are seriously ill in hospital.

This is the continuation of Phase 1 of the project.
We are developing contacts for future phases.

How you can get involved:

You can help by either making a complete Little Hug
Or
By making 6" squares using Stylecraft Special DK yarn or Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, Rowan Cashsoft DK and Sublime Extra Fine Merino wool DK

For all of the Little Hugs:

Minimum size: 18 inches by 18 inches
For example, that's 3x3 6 inch squares with a small edge.
If you would like to make a blanket or quilt that is bigger, that would be lovely too.

Colours: Your choice!
We'd like to be able to provide a range of Little Hugs suitable for boys and girls.
If you would like to make something specifically for a boy or girl, that would also be lovely.

Things to avoid:
Buttons
Sequins and beads
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.
If using applique, it needs to be firmly stitched on with no hard edges.

Materials and ideas:
Woolly Blankets:
Suggested yarn: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic that is a very reasonable £1.60 - £2 for 100g ball.
Pure cotton DK
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight yarn and a yarn other than those above. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be machine washed.
Ideas:
Blankets could be made from squares stitched or hooked together
Granny stripes or ripples
They could be made in one piece or in blocks, as well as squares

Quilts and stitched blankets:
Pure cotton and good quality fleece. The cotton can be from recycled sources.
We suggest that you wash both separately before sewing to allow for any difference in shrinkage.
Ideas:
Traditional style quilts, from simple square designs to more complex patterns
Cotton edged fleeces, with or without appliqué
Quilt and fleece combination: quilted front with a fleece back

Donors:
If you would like to contribute towards materials, you can either donate via Paypal here on our Woolly Hugs website with a message letting us know which project you are donating to. If you do not have Paypal, please PM RatherBeOnThePiste as we have other ways that you can donate.
Without our donors, our projects really wouldn't happen. You are as vital to them as the crafters and materials. Bless you. smile

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support thanks

fraktion Tue 01-Jan-13 19:39:12

<hides kitkat wrapper>

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 01-Jan-13 20:12:17

Thanks frak, yes to woolly flowers, as long as really securely attached but avoid buttons, beads etc. Sounds lovely. thanks

<passes out kit kats>

smile

SoupDragon Tue 01-Jan-13 20:59:40

Did someone mention kit kits?

Not that chocolate is a good idea when making a white hug... hmm

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 01-Jan-13 21:05:15

<buys in persil>

Woolfey Wed 02-Jan-13 08:44:46

I bought the Stylecraft Multipack a while back and am just not getting on with the lavender colours. I've tried twice now to make a little hug with them and just cannot stand making it!

Would anyone like them to make a little hug with? I used some of it to make a little bag thing for my mum so I reckon there's just less than 3 balls left in 3 colours. Don't know the colour names as the ball bands have dropped off. If anyone wants them then just PM me and I'll pop them in the post to you.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 02-Jan-13 09:03:54

Oh bless you Woolfey, thank you. I have an idea of someone who might like to take on the woolly wool and have just sent a message to her.

rubycon Wed 02-Jan-13 09:48:10

<coughs and shuffles>

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 02-Jan-13 10:39:17

And lo

here she is grin

Woolfey Wed 02-Jan-13 11:00:43

The horrible lovely lavender wool will soon be winging it's way to Ruby smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 02-Jan-13 15:43:53

Thanks Woolfey X

rubycon Thu 03-Jan-13 10:34:25

Received - just - donated wool from the wonderful Woolfey. Thank you so much!! thanks

GlaikitFizzHogmany Thu 03-Jan-13 10:41:04

Right I and sewing my hottie cover together today. Then I think I'll crack on with the knitted dragon! I think I've worked out an easier way to to the bits I was struggling with!

Normal knitting service shall resume imminently!

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 03-Jan-13 10:50:17

Woolfey You are an absolutely star, bless your heart, that was such a generous thing to do. Big hugs for you my lovely Xx

Plus it will keep Ruby out of trouble and that can only be a good thing smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 03-Jan-13 10:51:38

Looking forward to the dragon Fizzy!

Just about to post pics on FB of a lovely Little Hug from MOS, but having very slow interwebs which are holding me up <sigh>

rubycon Thu 03-Jan-13 11:13:49

trouble finds me .......... don't know how I manage it. Walk along minding your own business and before you know it your dogs vanished and you end up wading in the North Sea, climbing over groynes ............ its damn cold at the end of November ......

Woolfey Thu 03-Jan-13 11:17:27

I have the wool but no time so it seems only right to give it to someone with the time but no wool smile
Very glad I can help x

Hi All, I have managed another hug over the Christmas period and still have the bloody nightmare one that needs blocking, I think I might need to bin it as it is driving me nuts. Another crochet one is on the go too, feeling very productive at the moment.

Woolfey Thu 03-Jan-13 17:03:03

Heels don't bin it! I had a nightmare with one of mine and was ashamed to send it but the fact is it was made with love and someone somewhere will be grateful that you have taken the time and love to make something for them. I sent mine in in the end and was glad I did. (I just know never to try a knitted one again - only crochet for me smile)

RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 03-Jan-13 17:04:47

No no no! Don't bin it! Send it! I'll give it a good talking to, although I'm sure it is lovely smile Just send it the next time you post to me.

And yes, very productive. <seriously impressed >

thanks

Woolfey, you definitely are a star thanks

Somersaults Thu 03-Jan-13 22:29:19

I may be ble to get some Stylecraft squares done over the next few weeks and I shall either make them up into a blanket myself or I will send the odd squares along to you. I shall see how I get on.

KnottyLocks Thu 03-Jan-13 23:52:54

Somersaults, thank you thanks

Squares are lovely if you have the time. I have a few needing some friends to make up a hug. smile

Knotty I have a couple of crochet squares in Stylecraft that are at a loose end. Shall I pop them in and post to Pistey or to you separately ?

And I won't bin the unruly hug, I will have one last go at blocking and then post the result.

KnottyLocks Fri 04-Jan-13 09:45:59

Oh thank you smile Post them altogether to Pistey. I'll gather when we next meet.

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 04-Jan-13 10:07:07

thanks

Morning all smile brew

Last posting for the next Batch of Little Hugs to be Saturday 19th January

Heartfelt thanks to all thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Argh!! That's my 5th wedding anniversary too! <frantically knits>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now