Woolly Hugs: Little Hugs for Little People. Crafting continued!

(982 Posts)
KnottyLocks Thu 18-Oct-12 18:16:22

Our project launch thread can be found here

This is an ongoing project. Thanks to the amazing efforts of crafters and donors, to date we have received 38 wonderful Little Hugs. Our first batch have been sent to Yorkhill Hospital today smile

Photographs of our Little Hugs can be found on our Woolly Hugs website and on our Facebook page, MNWoollyHugs.

The basic aim is to provide little blankets and quilts that give comfort to babies and small children who are seriously ill in hospital.

This is the continuation of Phase 1 of the project.
We are developing contacts for future phases.

How you can get involved:

You can help by either making a complete Little Hug
Or
By making 6" squares using Stylecraft Special DK yarn or Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK, Rowan Cashsoft DK and Sublime Extra Fine Merino wool DK

For all of the Little Hugs:

Minimum size: 18 inches by 18 inches
For example, that's 3x3 6 inch squares with a small edge.
If you would like to make a blanket or quilt that is bigger, that would be lovely too.

Colours: Your choice!
We'd like to be able to provide a range of Little Hugs suitable for boys and girls.
If you would like to make something specifically for a boy or girl, that would also be lovely.

Things to avoid:
Buttons
Sequins and beads
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.
If using applique, it needs to be firmly stitched on with no hard edges.

Materials and ideas:
Woolly Blankets:
Suggested yarn: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic that is a very reasonable £1.60 - £2 for 100g ball.
Pure cotton DK
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight yarn and a yarn other than those above. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be machine washed.
Ideas:
Blankets could be made from squares stitched or hooked together
Granny stripes or ripples
They could be made in one piece or in blocks, as well as squares

Quilts and stitched blankets:
Pure cotton and good quality fleece. The cotton can be from recycled sources.
We suggest that you wash both separately before sewing to allow for any difference in shrinkage.
Ideas:
Traditional style quilts, from simple square designs to more complex patterns
Cotton edged fleeces, with or without appliqué
Quilt and fleece combination: quilted front with a fleece back

Donors:
If you would like to contribute towards materials, you can either donate via Paypal here on our Woolly Hugs website with a message letting us know which project you are donating to. If you do not have Paypal, please PM RatherBeOnThePiste as we have other ways that you can donate.
Without our donors, our projects really wouldn't happen. You are as vital to them as the crafters and materials. Bless you. smile

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support thanks

KnottyLocks Mon 29-Oct-12 10:46:27

Apologies last week or so has been chaotic here.

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 29-Oct-12 11:19:48

First read that as Little Buggers <goes to specsavers>

KnottyLocks Mon 29-Oct-12 11:20:46

I had to type that very carefully smile

No worries. It been chaotic here too, that's why I've only just remembered about it!

GlaikitFizZombie Mon 29-Oct-12 12:47:16

ah the curse of auto correct strikes again! car park!!

ds is having some pom bears and watching toy story 3 on the ipad! peace for.knitting and eating!

nickeldaisical Mon 29-Oct-12 13:59:18

that's amazing Fizzy grin

I still haven't done any more work on my Tiger - the thing that started it all off not even complete yet!

still, I've done a little bit of the church magazine and other stuff....

FaintingGhost Mon 29-Oct-12 15:57:37

Two little hugs finished and ready to send, plus one square for a bigger hug. Next up - a star-shaped hug! I have been wanting to make this for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages and now I have the perfect excuse!

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 29-Oct-12 16:27:20

Thanks FaintingG, have sent you the posting details, and wow, that is a- may-zing!!

Just stunning

thanks

nickeldaisical Mon 29-Oct-12 16:42:28

oooh.

KnottyLocks Mon 29-Oct-12 16:54:45

Looks like stars are the next challenge then smile

Have started another little hug. Done a centre square here that is 10" but wondering what colours to do around it confused. Anyone have an opinion? I have a little red and white and more grey left but prob not enough for the whole thing

FaintingGhost Mon 29-Oct-12 23:00:32

Teal! I love teal, think it would go great with the colours you've already done. Lovely square, Crafty

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 30-Oct-12 09:04:35

I'm generally rubbish at that sort of thing Crafty, but teal I think would be lovely. Is this the Stylecraft you are using? I shall go and have a look at the possible options. Knotty is dead good at this sorta thing, she may have some ideas too.

Yes, it's Stylecraft. I might have managed to stretch the red & white out. I found a pattern with a central flower bit that didn't take a lot of yarn. Going to finish those with the grey and see how it looks laid out.

KnottyLocks Tue 30-Oct-12 10:42:01

<waves>

Sorry, charging around as incoming family invasion.

What shade is the red, Crafty? When I get a min I could have a look at colour combos . I probably have most shades here.

nickeldaisical Tue 30-Oct-12 11:00:29

crafty i would just carry on in the same colours.
maybe you could do more rows of each colour to make them look broader...

nickeldaisical Tue 30-Oct-12 11:00:58

oh, missed that update

CamperWidow Tue 30-Oct-12 12:40:54

Well, I had to frog my square as I couldn't stretch it past 5 1/2", never mind reach 6! Fortunatly, I hadn't got more than half way so it's not too bad.

Glaikit he looks amazing! I had seen him on Ravelry and took a look at the instructions......ran away screaming!!! Well done you! grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 30-Oct-12 13:18:06

Thank you very much to the lovely BobKate for some gorgeous squares to go towards a Little Hug, just lovely, teal and silver striped knits. Marvellous, thank you thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Tweetinat Tue 30-Oct-12 17:02:38

Not ventured on here before but here is my little hug that I've been working on. A bit wobbly but I hope it'll do! Who to PM for the postage address - is it Pistey?

Tweetinat Tue 30-Oct-12 17:03:25

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Tweetinat/granny-bobble-blanket

Again, unclickable, sorry. Grrr iPhone app.

ZombieArmsDragOnTheFloor Tue 30-Oct-12 17:09:49

Clickable link

It;s lovely grin

Crafty - how about dark green? Look up the use of the colour wheel. How about red - orange/red, pink.

Read purple instead of pink!

nickeldaisical Tue 30-Oct-12 17:41:29

is that bobble blanket just loads of treble 5-tog?
shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now