Support thread for Mumof2TeenBoys' and Expat's Blankets

(657 Posts)
tribpot Sun 08-Jul-12 19:07:33

Following on from the terrible news of the loss of Mumof2TeenBoys' ds, a new Woolly Hugs project has been started and, as ever, MNers have stepped up to offer whatever little comfort we can to Mumof and her family. We also keep close in our thoughts Aillidh, the dd of expatinscotland, who died yesterday.

We've put together some general info mostly about knitting but with some crochet bits thrown in, which should get you started but please feel free to ask for any help - I'm not sure if the crocheters are going to set up a new support thread but their current one is found here.

Please dive in - we will inevitably end up talking bollocks rubbish at some point but all are welcome aboard.

Glaikit Sun 08-Jul-12 20:12:59

So you did, that's why I don't have a copy! Just a very good memory for patterns! <checks over shoulder for men in black>

RedRosie Sun 08-Jul-12 20:15:05

Yes please Trib. That would be very kind of you. Sorry for all the trouble, but I am a bit clueless still so need step-by-step instructions ...

You are my guru.

In return, there will be a poem Oh no not a poem! at some point.

PeggyCarter Sun 08-Jul-12 20:26:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tribpot Sun 08-Jul-12 20:42:25

Rosie, we are of course trying to encourage people on to the thread so ... maybe a short poem?

RedRosie Sun 08-Jul-12 20:42:33

I just follow stitch patterns (or Trib's orders) for the blankets, crossing off each row, and still get in a mess No talent whatsoever - knitted my first ever stitch in January.

Yes. Pru is life-like, right down to the life-like slobber and chewed up chair legs.

PurplePidjin Sun 08-Jul-12 20:45:35

Flubba plain crochet is fab! Grannies or rows?

<signs in with non drinkers temporarily>

<yearns for Christmas when i can have wine and pate and yummy cheese>

RedRosie Sun 08-Jul-12 20:51:08

<sniffs pathetically>

<looks reproachfully at Trib>

My poetry is only the third-worst in the known universe you know ...

smile

Marking my place. No wine here but there is birthday cake for DH. Help yourselves, he won't notice (much!).
Off to search Ravelry for some inspiration whilst waiting for wool.

Was v excited in Birmingham the other week. Came across some people knitting in an empty shop! They were doing an Olympic knitting project doing some HUGE pieces in the colours of the rings. I think they said they would be put on the Town Hall.

flubba Sun 08-Jul-12 21:11:53

Grannies is all I've attempted mastered so far, but could have a go at rows if that's better for the blankets?

KnottyLocks Sun 08-Jul-12 21:26:03

Hello, lovely woolly folk smile

wos all this about no booze?

Flubba, granny squares are lovely. smile

Just signing in, I am going to try a ripple crochet square this time. If I've got enough wool left.

PurplePidjin Sun 08-Jul-12 21:49:31

Either's fine, I'm just nosy grin

Pics on my profile of crochet squares for Matilda's blanket, and probably some previous ones too! There's a ripple in there, WhoKnows, i stabilised it with a row of htc either end smile

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 08-Jul-12 21:50:59

I have booze Knots wine
Checking in...

BarbaraWoodlouseAspiringHooker Sun 08-Jul-12 21:52:54

Evening' all. Too whacked to pick up the needles tonight, much less the terrifying hook grin but signing in now for later.

prettybird Sun 08-Jul-12 22:27:41

Checking in. I must collate/print-off my patterns so that I can take them with me on holiday when I go off next Sunday.

It'll give me something to do while we're sitting in hotel front room/dining room/reception (Greek family hotel, so it's all those at once) in the afternoon watching the Tour de France smilewine

MinnieBar Sun 08-Jul-12 22:47:29

Signing in…

I may, I repeat may just have got the hang of this intarsia business. I rather suspect that my method of 'hold the colour you're not currently using in your teeth and then weave the one you are over and under' is probably not the way you're meant to do it, but it looks neat at the front, and is devoid of loops at the back, so it'll do. -- glosses over the issue of damp yarn--

Anyway, time for bed… night all

MinnieBar Sun 08-Jul-12 22:48:11

Stupid sodding strike-out fail!!!

prettybird Sun 08-Jul-12 22:49:46

...I put the wine in before I'd read the thread blush

I'll be lowering the tone then.... While there won't be any alcohol drunk in the next week while I attempt to lose some weight so I won't look too horrendous in a bikini wink, there will be wine, lots of [gin], some nice frosty [beer] partaken of the following week blushblush

I'll try not to let it affect my knitting too much wink

Signing in/up smile. I have two shades of the Rowan Cashsoft - Mirage and Ballad Blue to play with this time.

tribpot Mon 09-Jul-12 13:51:09

I should say I was only kidding about the wine being banned - this is Mumsnet! Vodka on the cornflakes is a requirement.

Shredded - I've used some ballad blue in the past, it's lovely! The Mirage looks like it will go very nicely with it.

BarbaraWoodlouseAspiringHooker Mon 09-Jul-12 16:04:21

Minnie I'm loving the mental picture of your intarsia. Sounds like me when I was starting out on 4 double pointed needles grin

Vodka on the cornflakes would have been a good idea this morning - just back from helping out on reception year DD's school trip. Boy that was hard work confused.

In honour of the wondrous Trib though, I will stick to a brew and a nice sit down.

I wanted to sign into this as its my first time doing a square for a blanket. Think I might try something that I've not done before like the rice stitch in the doc that tribpot linked to.
I think that knitting and wine go perfectly so I'll help out with that as well!

I found my way to the team heart chart, but am having trouble interpreting it. Are there by any chance any written instructions? I made a couple of the plain hearts last time (without the lacy internal border), but am feeling adventurous enough now to have a go at the more complicated one.

Lovely colours in the ripple Pidj.

I have recently made a ripple cushion (pic in profile), which had to edge it dc,htc,tc,htc,dc to fill all the zigzags in, then two more rows of dc all the way round, so I was thinking the same filling in but only one row of dc round (depending on how big it comes out)

PurplePidjin Mon 09-Jul-12 18:57:34

Mid blue donor wool plus leftovers from previous blankets. With boats as a suggestion, i took my inspiration from the Solent wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now