Support thread for Mumof2TeenBoys' and Expat's Blankets

(657 Posts)
tribpot Sun 08-Jul-12 19:07:33

Following on from the terrible news of the loss of Mumof2TeenBoys' ds, a new Woolly Hugs project has been started and, as ever, MNers have stepped up to offer whatever little comfort we can to Mumof and her family. We also keep close in our thoughts Aillidh, the dd of expatinscotland, who died yesterday.

We've put together some general info mostly about knitting but with some crochet bits thrown in, which should get you started but please feel free to ask for any help - I'm not sure if the crocheters are going to set up a new support thread but their current one is found here.

Please dive in - we will inevitably end up talking bollocks rubbish at some point but all are welcome aboard.

flubba Sun 08-Jul-12 19:13:33

If you're happy to also have plain crochet squares, I'll crochet a couple.

Dances checks in, passed wine -

I am currently struggling through a stocking stitch J. Any words of wisdom?

Signing in... Since my painfully slow plain garter stitch squares for MrsKwazii and Greengoose I have mastered purling. And stripes! [proud] Now I want to learn how to do proper patterns and pictures. Or is that a bit ambitious? confused

Dances, put down the wine? grin

PuddleJumper - you are my kind of knitter grin even if you want me to put my wine down Come to my arms

tribpot Sun 08-Jul-12 19:22:47

Oh yeah, did I not mention since I started this thread that no drinking is allowed? That means wine holds only grape juice here wink

Puddlejumper (I put Puddlehumper initially, now there's an image I'd rather not have) - a lot of the proper patterns and pictures that we do for the squares are just knit and purl, the trick is knowing when to do which grin Provided you can count, you should be okay.

You could start with some textured patterns (that link may or may not work, it's just to the 'Textured Patterns' section of the document) or the simplified heart. This is the chart version and these are the written instructions.

No wine???? And no gin??? Is there also no rum??? Pistey Knotty and I are in trouble. I take it your year has continued trib? Well done, I admire you she says as she sips a very nice pinotage

flubba Sun 08-Jul-12 19:27:49

Where do I look for which colours to use? I have some leftovers from a previous blanket so hope I can use them again?

tribpot Sun 08-Jul-12 19:29:21

Dances, yes, I'm still sober smile However, I'm obviously skewing the national average now so thank goodness everyone else is more than making up for me wink

tribpot Sun 08-Jul-12 19:31:27

flubba - the colours are usually announced on the main blanket thread, they're usually based on the same colour palette, this time they are blues, greens, warm purples, silvers and cream (preferably Debbie Bliss 013 cream, if possible).

<embraces Dances, avoiding pointy needles> Why is the rum gone??? (Can you guess what I watched last night? grin).

I think this time I shall attempt (drumroll please) - double moss stitch. I like the look of it and it should be fairly simple like me . However I have a couple of hats to finish first so won't be starting for a few days.

RedRosie Sun 08-Jul-12 19:37:51

Hello all.

Checking in.

Am knitting (and donating) again.

I was going to do a poem but it doesn't seem appropriate with all the sadness. Perhaps later in the week ...

sad

Trib - any chance of a moon pattern for the likes of me?

tribpot I'm sober too, somebody somewhere is definitely getting more than their fair share... grin Thanks for those links, I can't wait for my skill to catch up with my ambition!

RedRosie Sun 08-Jul-12 19:38:52

Joyful - I'm doing double moss, with stripes. Gulp.

Show off! [raspberry] grin

RedRosie Sun 08-Jul-12 19:47:17

Oh don't worry Joyful. I'm not very good (previous blanket efforts on profile).

I'm no competition for a competent or even semi-competent knitter.

Glaikit Sun 08-Jul-12 19:49:38

Signing in. Almost finished my first square. Knitted during the tennis. The flashes one you wrote out for me trib. I can't find the link you sent me.

FormerlyTitledUntidy Sun 08-Jul-12 19:50:27

Signing in smile
I am doing Dilly's phone box until my woolly love comes.

tribpot Sun 08-Jul-12 19:51:42

Rosie - there are two or three moon ones in the document already, I can wang up some written instructions to match the moon and star chart if you'd like?

I managed moss stitch - how is double moss stitch different?

The only competition I'm in is for least competent knitter and Person Bravely Volunteering To Drink On Behalf Of All The Sober Folks

tribpot Sun 08-Jul-12 19:53:12

Glaikit, if you recall, I popped round and lent you the book whilst you were doing that one, remember? wink <strikes Glaikit off the list of potential recruits for MI5>

tribpot Sun 08-Jul-12 19:56:02

Dances - double moss.

Jules146 Sun 08-Jul-12 19:59:25

Another non-drinker here too!! Someone must be really enjoying our share!! Not too sure what to do yet <puts thinking hat on> maybe a different crochet square... Maybe also try and do crochet initials?! Need a brew to help thinking process!

Ah - in that case what I did was double moss - whoot whoot. It is very pretty, I was rather proud of that square.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now